How do you like to burn calories, without going out of your way?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Tiki1978 wrote: »
    This always confuses me. I never logg cleaning, as this is something I do daily and should be part of my over BMR, correct?

If it's something you do all the time.
    I keep tidy, but I honestly don't mop, scrub floors, wipe walls, ect. every day. That's a once a week thing, so I wouldn't think it would in my BMR.

Yes, it's in your overall weekly average. I deep cleaned my house like that weekly when I was fat and I don't clean any harder now, so I try not to fool myself. I would only be setting myself up for failure.

... That's great you don't fool yourself..

But being me, who really only recently had to start doing it on my own as I now live alone for the first time, it's not something I am use to doing by any means.. :)

So, yes, eventually it will probably not be as effective, but I would be silly to think it's not more than I use to do at this point.

Cleaning in general should not be counted as "extra" even if it is a recent thing...I am sure you don't clean your walls every week...and scrubbing it quite similar to sweeping...purposeful exercise cleaning is not.

IMO if your house is bad enough that you burn that many calories cleaning...it should be a form of punishment not to be able to count those calories...

• missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Running up and down the stairs to do laundry.
  • fat2burn2014
    fat2burn2014 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Walking the dog works for me. I usually go 30-45mins on my lunch. Fresh air for me, calorie burn and fun for the dog. WIN WIN WIN.
  • 1992mittens13
    1992mittens13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome all the negative nancy's!

I'm glad you found my post, and the need to comment.

I'm sorry I don't rely on the internet to tell me if something is good for me or not. And the fact that I do hands and knees scrub down my place each week, is something I know and not anyone else LOL. If someone would like to clean it for me, then tell me its not exercise, be my guest :)

Move along now, no more of your negativity is needed on this thread :)

This was a general fun thread, I hope your day was enlightened by bringing down others, I do hope I helped you, but now its time to move along.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I walk around when I'm on the phone.

Lol. Had to laugh at this one. I do this all the time. It drives my wife crazy.

atleast we dont use phones with cords anymore!

i jumprope at work, 100 jumps every hour to keep me going

• 1992mittens13
    Options
    by the way people are talking, I guess I can shovel my driveway each day this winter, and not burn a thing, since I did it last year too.. damn.. oh and I cant count any outside time I do as helpfull either.. I mean, of course you burn nothing more gardening for 2 hours, than you would on the computer.. ugh. I guess the only answer is running or lifting weights.. LOL

Come on people, we are here making healthy choices.. Sorry that you think it's not better to be up and cleaning, then it is to sit on your butt at a computer each day :)

[Please, flag this as abuse, becuase I'm pretty sure I am right...]
  • 1992mittens13
    Options
    shaindi wrote: »

Air jump, or actually rope jump..

I'm imagineing someone bringing a skipping rope into their office and saying, hold on, I gotta jump! hahaha :D Great image! :D

That's awsome of you though! :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This always confuses me. I never logg cleaning, as this is something I do daily and should be part of my over BMR, correct?

I don't think she's talking about logging cleaning, etc...I think she's just talking about increasing activity in general...improving NEAT essentially...not logging cleaning as exercise. I could be wrong, but that's not how I read it.

I don't log a big day in the yard as exercise...but I damn well have a couple beers afterwards. It's still activity and finding ways to improve your NEAT can be just as important as regular, deliberate exercise. I wouldn't log it as exercise though...I would just adjust my activity level accordingly.
  • 1992mittens13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't think she's talking about logging cleaning, etc...I think she's just talking about increasing activity in general...improving NEAT essentially...not logging cleaning as exercise. I could be wrong, but that's not how I read it.

I don't log a big day in the yard as exercise...but I damn well have a couple beers afterwards. It's still activity and finding ways to improve your NEAT can be just as important as regular, deliberate exercise. I wouldn't log it as exercise though...I would just adjust my activity level accordingly.

Thank you :D I don't remember intending you must log it.. I log my activites such as this, as a way to hold myself accountable for getting off my butt and doing something extra each day! I not once, have used those 'calories' as eat back, or allowed calories.. I just log to make myself accountable as I said :D I personally enjoy seeing a trend that I've been active each day, instead of lieing saying I have been, when in reality I've just binged watched Extreme Weight loss for 3 days straight. HAHA.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Deleting Facebook and getting rid of cable.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Walking everywhere... Parking as far away as possible and/or taking the steps
  • 1992mittens13
    Options
    ** Also, I am changing from a very lazy lifestyle, to a more active and healthy one, one day at a time.. so for me, I enjoy knowing I've done what I can and worked hard to make sure im getting in some activity.. I'm FAR from in shape, and for me, it's actually a chore in itself to constantly bend down and get up.. so I do count the big cleans as good :) Hopefully one day I will be in shape, and fit, and it will seem like nothing.. but im not there yet!
  • 1992mittens13
    Options
    drgmac wrote: »
    Walking everywhere... Parking as far away as possible and/or taking the steps

Yes! I do this at the store all the time.. I personally dont drive, but my friend always parks at the back, and we walk instead of finding close spaces!

An added bonus is less careless drivers around you :P
  • SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    by the way people are talking, I guess I can shovel my driveway each day this winter, and not burn a thing, since I did it last year too.. damn.. oh and I cant count any outside time I do as helpfull either.. I mean, of course you burn nothing more gardening for 2 hours, than you would on the computer.. ugh. I guess the only answer is running or lifting weights.. LOL

Come on people, we are here making healthy choices.. Sorry that you think it's not better to be up and cleaning, then it is to sit on your butt at a computer each day :)

[Please, flag this as abuse, becuase I'm pretty sure I am right...]

Being active is great. At end of day, it's calories in versus calories out. You can eat really small amounts of calories and still lose weight, but you're sacrificing muscle. On the other hand, eating within the recommended 500 calorie defecit from your TDEE will result in a slower weight loss but you won't sacrifice as much muscle.

• ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    shaindi wrote: »

Air jump, or actually rope jump..

I'm imagineing someone bringing a skipping rope into their office and saying, hold on, I gotta jump! hahaha :D Great image! :D

That's awsome of you though! :D

yes, really jumping a real rope! ;)
    they dont like it??? too bad!

i do have my own office though.
    (i also sit on a stability ball and have a resistance band in my drawer)
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    ** Also, I am changing from a very lazy lifestyle, to a more active and healthy one, one day at a time.. so for me, I enjoy knowing I've done what I can and worked hard to make sure im getting in some activity.. I'm FAR from in shape, and for me, it's actually a chore in itself to constantly bend down and get up.. so I do count the big cleans as good :) Hopefully one day I will be in shape, and fit, and it will seem like nothing.. but im not there yet!
    You can do this! Get it Girl!!! :D

Walk, walk, walk! I live right downtown Colorado Springs and walk everywhere! Rarely use my car.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thank you :D I don't remember intending you must log it.. I log my activites such as this, as a way to hold myself accountable for getting off my butt and doing something extra each day! I not once, have used those 'calories' as eat back, or allowed calories.. I just log to make myself accountable as I said :D I personally enjoy seeing a trend that I've been active each day, instead of lieing saying I have been, when in reality I've just binged watched Extreme Weight loss for 3 days straight. HAHA.

You also need to just ignore what you don't want to see/hear/read on an open forum. I don't think anyone here is trying to be "mean"...they're just pointing out that stuff like that is generally included in your activity level...which is true. I personally wouldn't rely on any database to give me an accurate calorie burn for regular exercise, let alone cleaning...or in my case, doing yard work.