Running Shoes for C25K

Options
Is it a bit excessive to buy running shoes just to do C25K or can I start out in my walking shoes then buy running shoes if I enjoy it?

Replies

• JLClarkson
    Options
    buy the running shoes. Running without them will just potentially cause injury and you will likely feel pain. Train properly from the beginning so that you can actually enjoy it and train the proper muscles. You will find that walking in the running shoes is nice too :)
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    walking shoes are not a good idea for running in, i wouldn't risk it if i were you

when i started the c25k i went to sports direct and got a cheap pair of running shoes for £15, they weren't great and once i got a few weeks in i got shin splints and had to buy some proper ones but getting the cheap ones worked well in case i didn't enjoy running
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    So my good running shoes bit the dust and I had to switch to a different pair, not meant for running.

The shin splints. omg. I'm going to pull the trigger and get the proper shoes for the workout I'm doing. It makes a world of difference.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - I get really sore ankles when I do anything high impact so I'm probably best going for some running shoes then! Any recommended brands?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Go to a walking/running store and get fitted. Find what fits your foot best.

29509743.png
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    thanks guys - I get really sore ankles when I do anything high impact so I'm probably best going for some running shoes then! Any recommended brands?

it's not really about brands its more what's out there that suits your foot, my running shoes are ugly as sin but my feet didn't agree with the pretty ones

the best thing to do is go to a proper running shop and try out a few pairs, most places have a treadmill in store that you can test the shoes on
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thanks - I'm going to go and get properly fitted :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd give it four weeks before you go out and buy dedicated shoes. Partly because the first four weeks you're not actually running much, and partly because it'll take you that time to settle on a running gait.

Go to a decent shop and get some advice on the appropriate shoes for your gait. Check whether you'll be able to change them if they're not appropriate.

If you get into running then shoes have a life of between 300 and 500 miles, so I rotate several pairs.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Id agree with the above poster. Wait until you're sure youre gonna stick to it and finish the program AND MOVE ON BEYOND IT.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    I got fitted for a pair last night :) they are Nike Pegasus - green and yellow ^.^ totally garish I love them!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I got fitted for a pair last night :) they are Nike Pegasus - green and yellow ^.^ totally garish I love them!

Congrats on the new kicks! Great fitting shoes make a HUGE difference. I tend to be a bit frugal (my wife would say cheap). I spent 3 times the money and struggled trying to finish a c25k program because I didn't do what you did and get fit for shoes.

1st pair - picked up at a sporting good store on sale. (feet hurt tremendously)

2nd pair - bought a pair online that was a style my friend who ran recommended. (feet and back hurt, didn't finish the program)

3rd pair - a few months later I finally went to a running store and got fit. Balked at the price. went back later that weekend and bought different model of the same brand. (more leg pain and uncomfortable

Finally went back to the same store. Saw the original fitter. She recommended a pair of Brooks that were on clearance. They fit my running style and budget. And it made ALL the difference. There was no pain at all, flew through the C25K program this summer and have been running 3-4 days a week since.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural community in NW Montana and don't have a running store where I could get "fit" for shoes. If any are in this same situation I highly recommend RoadRunnerSports.com They have a shoe finder app that helps you find the right shoe fit for you AND they have a love them or return them 90 day return policy. You can actually run outside in the mud, rain, snow...whatever, for 90 days and then return them if they're not working for you. (Voice of experience...they really will exchange them within the 90 days! They want you to really use them and love them!) Most excellent customer service of any company I've ever dealt with, in person or online. (and their pricing and VIP deals can't be beat. I think it's $1.99 to join their VIP club, but you save big and get free shipping. Totally worth it.) Don't mean to sound like a "paid advertisement" but not all of us live where there are specialty running stores. They worked out great for me.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    gabbo - absolutely that was my thinking too - I get really sore ankles and I think it would put me off.

Oo thanks for the recommendation EMTFreakGirl - I'll bear them in mind for the future if I need more shoes ;)
  • splashtree2
    Options
    Is it a bit excessive to buy running shoes just to do C25K or can I start out in my walking shoes then buy running shoes if I enjoy it?

Asics off trail