Running in a skirt!

Options
lizluvs3
lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
Hi everyone!
I'm semi new to MFP, I've been on here for about a week now. Mom of two kids and trying to get back to pre baby weight! Also I LOVE running! I can't believe how addicting it is! I started with just 1 mile a day and now do 5-6 at a time. Ill admit I'm reeally doing it to lose weight but its fun to feel "fit" too. I was wondering if there was any other ladies out there who exercise or run in a skirt? For either religious reasons or preference. It cracks me up how many people think I'm crazy for doing anything active in a skirt! I went to the gym last winter with my sister in law once(not a gym kinda person unfortunately, prefer the great outdoors) and u shoulda seen the stares I got! Then last week I was outside jogging( I love spring!!!) And a car drove by and I heard the driver remark to the passenger "omg that girl is running in a skirt!" Lol it must be easier than it looks becuz I've never had trouble with it! Like the support offered here at MFP and can't wait to reach my goal!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have a running skirt I love. It has built in shorts underneath and is very comfortable. I have co-workers that love running skirts too. You are not alone.

Great job for getting fit!
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have seen exercise skirts that are like skorts... but are you talking about long skirts?
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Skorts... the bane of men everywhere.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I just picked up 2 running skirts and can't wait for the weather to break so I can wear them! I say whatever works for you and keep up the great work!
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Lululemon makes a running skirt so you should have lots of company!
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    It never occured to me to run in a skirt!! But I feel like you should just run in whatever is comfy to you. One of my workmates once 'suggested' that leggings (my usual gym attire) are only worn by girls who are at the gym for a chat not to exercise! I had to laugh but seriously, everyone wears different things, as long as nothing frictions too much then GO FOR IT!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid tennis player; including mixed doubles. Seeing a lady running in a skirt is not uncommon or weird at all. As you know, those skirts have built-in shorts. I'm guessing your skirt does too; or is that why you're getting stares?

Speaking of which, being of Scottish decent (a wee bit), I tried wearing a kilt the traditional way. Ran once, but only once, (there was too much freedom.)
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lol well yes actuallyn my fav skirt it a ankle length skirt made out of something like sweatpant material. I have to get another one cuz its awesome! But I do have shorter mid calf length ones I wear. No to skorts!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Speaking of which, being of Scottish decent (a wee bit), I tried wearing a kilt the traditional way. Ran once, but only once, (there was too much freedom.)

LOL Awww.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Meant to add.
    I've been thinking about getting a skirt for the gym but have wondered about what others might think.
    I suppose I should forget about others and do it for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    More men should run in kilts, rrrrrrrrrrrregimental style.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I really admire those people who run in skirts! :)
  • dfresh050
    dfresh050 Posts: 15
    Options
    More men should run in kilts, rrrrrrrrrrrregimental style.
    and just let the junk swang???? hahaha funny
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    when I go to the gym I run in pants, but when i run outdoors i run in a skirt (short, knee length of tshirt material, with pants/leggings underneath) and if i've gotten stares i havent noticed :wink:
    I get into my zone, and its me and my music.
    I'm not sure how you would run in a long skirt, but if you can, go for it. Bet those people with the comments couldnt run with or without a skirt!

Good Luck and have fun!

s
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My thighs are best friends, really REALLY close.
    I don't run without something pulling those two apart.
    They chafe like a ***** when they rub too much :(
    I'd totally run in a tennis skirt with built in shorts underneath.
    Tight enough to really fit, but that cute little skirt to cover.... my parts I don't like!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i run in a skirt and love it!

these are my favorite - http://www.skirtsports.com/index.cfm
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I must admit total ignorance to this whole thing. But I approve!
  • kerrykeat
    kerrykeat Posts: 1
    Options
    I do run in a skirt...but it is a running skirt, so I guess it is really a skort!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love to wear long lightweight broomstick skirts but not for exercise, cuz if I exercise in a skirt I'd have the worst case of chub-rub.
  • laurie_powers
    laurie_powers Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run in running skirts. I have a couple, and find them really comfortable (and girly). I have never had anyone question it? Maybe it's because they are athletic wear, though, and not skirts I'd say, wear to work or something like that.