There's cake in the break room at work.....I-NEED-TO-STAY-AWAY-FROM-THERE!!!

Options
With the holiday season approaching, soon this will be a daily occurrence. I am dreading next week when people will bring their leftover Halloween candy to work. It's 10:30 am right now....I still have a few hours to go before the end of the day. I will likely stay away from the cake today, but it's going to be hard when it becomes an everyday thing as the holidays come closer. I need support and motivation to keep myself on track!!!

Replies

• Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would suggest bringing your own healthy snacks and drink lots of water. I find that I am less tempted when I have some almonds to munch on or a piece of fruit. If you have trouble, consider staying out of the break room as much as you can. I get your struggle, I work with people who LOVE sweets! And it gets very hard around the holidays :anguished:
  • stringypubes
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!! KEEP STAyING STRONG!!! I believe in you <3
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I take the opposite approach. I always have some of everything people bring in, and I'm still losing weight. Since I started MFP I always budgeted about 100-200 cal/day for sweets. Around the holidays I stop bringing in my own sweets and just eat a small portion of the treats others bring in. Think you can keep yourself to a small portion and walk for an extra 10-20 min day? Works for me, but you gotta do whatever works for you!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I need to focus on the same thing. A couple years ago when I was doing really well, I just had to tell myself, "oh, that looks really good but I can't have it." I had to look at that stuff like I had a medical condition, like celiac or diabetes. Nope, I can't.

I need to get myself back to that place and walk away from all offered treats! No thanks! It looks delicious, but I can't have any.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    See for me - I could easily have a small piece of cake within my calories there and then; but that would mean I wouldn't be able to have my post-tea/pre-bed snack of chocolate/biscuits/icecream etc. Most of the time I'd rather have my snack later than indulge in whatever goodies are on offer at work so I'm able to reason with myself.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat it. I bring in my own snacks so I'm not tempted.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    did someone say cake?
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I walked in to the breakroom to Halloween Iced Sugar Cookies this morning.. you know, the soft ones from the bakery?? Yeah, those..I also have the exact cookies at home on the kitchen table because my daughter wanted them. . and I dont plan on eating any of those.. its called WILL POWER.. what do you want more?? The cake or to reach your health/weight goals?? I have learned really quickly to practice WILL POWER.. if you dont have will power, then just have a small bite.. a small bite will not ruin your day.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Same here, i work on an offshore vessel and the sole purpose of the catering department is to make the rest of the crew fat...
    1100 breakfast (work in 12 hrs shifts)
    1500 cake/cookies/snacks
    1800 dinner
    2100 snack/cake/cake
    and 2400 another meal time....

AAAARGH sometimes it's difficult. but just as emdeesea says, i bring a bowl of fresh fruits and eat that instead of the coffeebreak calorie bombs
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Just picture your coworker licked the whole cake before putting it in the break room.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    I walked in to the breakroom to Halloween Iced Sugar Cookies this morning.. you know, the soft ones from the bakery?? Yeah, those..I also have the exact cookies at home on the kitchen table because my daughter wanted them. . and I dont plan on eating any of those.. its called WILL POWER.. what do you want more?? The cake or to reach your health/weight goals?? I have learned really quickly to practice WILL POWER.. if you dont have will power, then just have a small bite.. a small bite will not ruin your day.

Willpower is also having one, enjoying it, and fitting it into one's daily calories. Frankly I prefer that to always denying myself. I realize for some people that does not work, one turns into a whole container, but again, that is a willpower thing isn't it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's not hard...make a conscious decision and own that decision either way. You can have cake and still lose weight...just don't have all of the cake every day...or do and just account for it.

I generally only have stuff like this when this lady Dorothy brings it...because she bakes it herself and she's really good at it. Most everyone else brings in some substandard *kitten* from some grocery store and it's just nasty anyway.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Part of it willpower but part of it is also recognizing the fact that I'm going to feel like garbage after eating that sugar bomb so I'd just rather not.
  • mustloseweight2015
    mustloseweight2015 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. I think if I can just have a small piece and feel happy, that would be awesome. But I feel like I'm not there yet. I often end up cutting a bigger piece than I should or going back for the seconds. In the ideal world, I would like to get to that place. But before then, I need to stay away. Maybe allow myself a piece once a week or so, but I feel like once I get into the habit of getting the goodies people bring it, I will be eating high calorie treats almost everyday until the holidays are over. :( On a good note though, a colleague stopped in my office to inform me that more than half the cake is gone and that if I want it, I should go now. I guess my battle might be over sooner than the end of the day if the cake is gone before then! :)
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »

Willpower is also having one, enjoying it, and fitting it into one's daily calories. Frankly I prefer that to always denying myself. I realize for some people that does not work, one turns into a whole container, but again, that is a willpower thing isn't it.

I agree. I allow myself treats as long as they fit into my day. There are just some things I would rather have more of than cookies or cakes.. Im a chocolate addict, so I like to have my chocolate as my treat.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hang out in your work washroom and observe how many of your coworkers don't wash their hands. I never touch work food anymore. ;)
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    With the holiday season approaching, soon this will be a daily occurrence. I am dreading next week when people will bring their leftover Halloween candy to work. It's 10:30 am right now....I still have a few hours to go before the end of the day. I will likely stay away from the cake today, but it's going to be hard when it becomes an everyday thing as the holidays come closer. I need support and motivation to keep myself on track!!!

Just don't eat it. Instead treat yourself this weekend to something far more better than some work cake. I say go for a HUGE steak.

• stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I ran into this problem yesterday. I normally do really well resisting things at work because it seems like there is constantly something. Yesterday someone brought in candy for Halloween. I should have just left well enough alone because after I had one I ended up having ten pieces or so. Then of course I look up the calories to track them AFTER the fact and I had wasted over 300 calories on candy. I was so irritated with myself. Not today! Yes I know I can have anything I want and still lose weight but I also know myself well enough to know when I need to just say no anyway.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's a big problem here too. I drink coffee and water, and chew gum, and try not to even look at the junk food as I walk past it. Avoid it completely if you can; once you taste any you may be a goner. Bring something healthy for yourself like stewed apples with cinnamon (no added sugar) or fresh fruit or some Kashi cereal that has lots of protein.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    great time to practice self discipline!