I've hit three goals I thought were IMPOSSIBLE

Options
keladry89
keladry89 Posts: 42 Member
So I ran in a glow run 5K on Saturday and finished in 28:21 (goal, sub 30 minutes).

I fit into size 14 pants (and even some larger 12s uhm, EXCUSE ME) I didn't think I would be able to wear anything less than a size 16 when I was a size 20-22.

And I currently weigh 196 pounds (goal, sub 200). Of course, the ultimate goal weight has always been lower, but I didn't think I would ever, ever get close to that, or even not weighing 200 pounds. I was 273 pounds at my heaviest recorded weight. I weighed 203 pounds when I got a physical my freshman year of high school for soccer, and I only got heavier after that.

I'm lighter and faster and skinnier than I ever dreamed and this girl isn't done yet. One problem... I don't know what new goals to set. I don't know what's possible. I want to set something reasonable but I don't ever want to underestimate what I can do :]

I'm thinking 100 lbs lost, and at that point I can better assess UGW. And I'd like to be a size 10, but I don't know if that's too much or not enough, honestly. And as for my running, I think I'm going to just keep trying to shave time off. My dad suggested that I sign up for another race and just try to beat my previous time, which seems pretty reasonable. Alternatively, I could shoot for a sub 60 min 10K. I haven't decided yet which I would like to do.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Love this!! Great work! I also like your flexibility about finding the right UGW for you, that's how I think about it too.
  • keladry89
    Options
    Thanks :] I feel like its pretty silly to be firm about UGW until I am actually looking at what my body looks and feels like at different sizes. It's a good way to be I think. :]
  • v_cowley
    v_cowley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You have done so well! Has running been your primary exercise? How long has it taken you?
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! We are a similar size now, and I've taken to running myself, but I still haven't attempted a 5k, and even if I did, there's now way I could do it under 30 min. Great job!!! I'm sorry I didn't answer your questions, just wanted to say well done!
  • kmcguire93
    kmcguire93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job! keep it up!: )
  • CJReg119
    CJReg119 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! Excellent work.....
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!!!!
  • iwilldoit2018
    iwilldoit2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Personally I would target the longer distance and faster times. Those goals will help you lose additional weight. I set my weight goals in 25 pound increments, I could celebrate by going to the store and lifting a bag of something that weighed that much to realize how much I had lost.

I ran my first half marathon a week ago, something I never thought I would do a year ago.
  • keladry89
    edited October 2014
    Options
    v_cowley wrote: »
    You have done so well! Has running been your primary exercise? How long has it taken you?

Running and walking both. My dad is losing weight too and we walk three miles a day almost every day, that has fallen off though, and I need to get back on it. Mostly for my dad, though : ] and our dogs (they LOVE to walk).

When I was 260-250, I biked a lot more than a ran, but once I got to about 240 I started running almost exclusively. But when I started running I ran for ten minutes, and it was slow, like so slow I could and did walk faster than I was running, but I just slowly increased the amount of time that I was running. I now run between 45-60 min 5 days a week :] I do a little weight training and ab work outs but way less than I should, if I'm being real.

As for how long, last summer I weighed 273 at the doctor at one point. Last year at thanksgiving I weighed 259. So in a little over a year I am down 76 pounds! It seems unreal. It's been about a pound a week with some being more and some being less (and some not at all). I've hit three major plateaus but I just made sure I didn't gain weight and then more weight came off eventually.
  • keladry89
    Options
    lnlthiel wrote: »
    Congratulations! Personally I would target the longer distance and faster times. Those goals will help you lose additional weight. I set my weight goals in 25 pound increments, I could celebrate by going to the store and lifting a bag of something that weighed that much to realize how much I had lost.

I ran my first half marathon a week ago, something I never thought I would do a year ago.

Thanks! And congrats on your half! I'm going to do both, I know, I just don't know which will be more beneficial for me to focus on. I don't want to set goals I can't reach, but I also don't know if that's really a thing :P
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments!! I actually started at 273(May 2013) and am down to 197.5 right now. I just readjusted my goal too because I haven't decided on my goal weight either. My next goal is to get to 180 and then figure what's next after that. I'm actually running in my first half marathon in a couple of weeks -- I'm pretty slow but my goal is to finish, sign up for another half and work on improving my time. Good luck on the next part of your journey! :)
  • keladry89
    Options
    csk0018 wrote: »
    Congrats on your accomplishments!! I actually started at 273(May 2013) and am down to 197.5 right now. I just readjusted my goal too because I haven't decided on my goal weight either. My next goal is to get to 180 and then figure what's next after that. I'm actually running in my first half marathon in a couple of weeks -- I'm pretty slow but my goal is to finish, sign up for another half and work on improving my time. Good luck on the next part of your journey! :)

Thanks! You look great in your profile pic! Great work :] and yay about the half! Finishing is an accomplishment. When I ran my first 5K it wasn't about the time, it was just about finishing. Although you've got a much more impressive scale on yours!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Incredible job!
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    *applause!* Setting a goal for a second race is a great idea! I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to start setting time goals for myself. I'd love to hear about your progress as you go!!!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    That's a great 5K time!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    congrats on your success and good luck on the rest of your journey

29509743.png
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Awesome achievements on all accounts!
  • keladry89
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and the attagirls you guys XD
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Great Work! I hear some similar themes. I NEVER thought I could be under 300. Told myself years ago, I'd just be happy to get back under 300. When I finally made that happen, I was in no way ready to quit. It was just another milestone on the way. As far as your goals, only you can really determine those. I tend to like the idea of bettering your time over a set UGM. I don't really know how you're built, so a size 10 might be perfect, or it might not be reasonable. Maybe you could get a body composition analysis and set a body fat % goal. That wouldn't necessarily depend on the scale alone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!