How many calories are too few? Any tips for weight loss that will last?

Options
Hi. I have been working on losing weight for about 4 weeks. So far I have lost 22 pounds. I have changed a lot of the way that I am eating, and I am exercising everyday. It started out with me losing a lot at first, and now I am down to 2 pounds lost this last week. I am 5'5", and I currently weight 268. I have started drinking lots of water, and eating less sugar, carbs, and processed foods. Mainly I have been making sure that I meet my calorie goal that I have set at 1000. This is my question, I have heard some say that eating too few calories is a myth. It comes down to the deficit. I also have heard some say that people need to have at least 1200 calories to lose. I welcome any suggestions, and advice. Thanks!!

Replies

• JFsNewLife
    JFsNewLife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am weighing everything... I meant to add that. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You lose at a deficit, no questions about it. However, if the deficit is too big it's not sustainable long term. You may feel okay now but it will catch up to you in the form of mineral deficiencies, fatigue, and may trigger binging. You can probably afford to eat a little bit more and still lose at a reasonable pace. Do you eat your exercise calories back? If not, you really should. With all the working out you're doing, 1000 cals isn't nearly enough.
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    I have not been eating my calories back, but I will start.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-10-newbie-help-post-685689

Has a link to the sexypants thread, as well as several links to things I've written about: goal setting, correct distribution of calories, motivation & encouragement.
    All have links to the scientific studies which support what I'm saying.
    (Well, maybe not the motivation & encouragement post.)

51637601.png
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Thank you both. I will read up on this.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You should probably eat 1200 rather than 1000 at this point. 1000 is usually not recommended, but if someone is very short it may be warranted imho.
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Thanks Gothchiq.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    You lose at a deficit, no questions about it. However, if the deficit is too big it's not sustainable long term. You may feel okay now but it will catch up to you in the form of mineral deficiencies, fatigue, and may trigger binging. You can probably afford to eat a little bit more and still lose at a reasonable pace. Do you eat your exercise calories back? If not, you really should. With all the working out you're doing, 1000 cals isn't nearly enough.

I generally agree.

Lasting weight loss = sustainable dietary habits. Do you really think you can maintain 1000 cals/day for a year?
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    I have adjusted my calorie limit to 1200. That would be more sustainable. Thank you for your help!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth but there is definitely such a thing as eating too few calories. Please do make sure you read the info in the links provided by MKEgal. It's a lot of reading, but it's definitely worth it!

1200 may still be too little for you considering your weight, but it's a start. Make sure you're also eating back at least half of your earned exercise calories.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Here is another link you should read as you can probably lose eating more than 1200 calories if you want to eat more.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been working on losing weight for about 4 weeks. So far I have lost 22 pounds. I have changed a lot of the way that I am eating, and I am exercising everyday. It started out with me losing a lot at first, and now I am down to 2 pounds lost this last week. I am 5'5", and I currently weight 268. I have started drinking lots of water, and eating less sugar, carbs, and processed foods. Mainly I have been making sure that I meet my calorie goal that I have set at 1000. This is my question, I have heard some say that eating too few calories is a myth. It comes down to the deficit. I also have heard some say that people need to have at least 1200 calories to lose. I welcome any suggestions, and advice. Thanks!!

It is unhealthy to cut your calories down by quite a lot. If you are overweighted, you can't go from 2500 calories to 1000 + exercise from one day to another, yes it will make you loose some weight until your body adapts. A normal functioning body is not going to allow you to hit 268 pounds.

Continue having a good diet, do not exercise every day, you don't need it, but I will recommend to you to go slowly, if 2500 calories make you maintain, go to 2200, and when you maintain, cut another 300 and so on, it takes "more time", but you will ensure not getting your weight back, like 90-95% of the people do.
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Ok, I read all of the information and I am going to study it more.

I used the http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results link to calculate calories.

These are my results:
    BMR: 1930, TDEE: 2654, Basic Calories Needed: 1990

Since I have been eating at 1000 calories, what will be the effect if I do start eating more calories? Will I still lose weight?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Based on those numbers, as long as you are below 2645, you'll lose weight. The further below that number you are, the faster you'll lose, but the harder it'll be to sustain (generally speaking).
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Ok, thank you Jacksonpt. I appreciate it!! The main thing for me is to make a life change. I want this to be permanent. How much water should I really be drinking?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Now that... that I have no idea about. I drink virtually none, so I'm not the one to weigh in on water reqs.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Based on those numbers, as long as you are below 2645, you'll lose weight. The further below that number you are, the faster you'll lose, but the harder it'll be to sustain (generally speaking).

This. Please eat more. I cannot fathom how anyone can exercise every day, and still sustain themselves on only 1000 calories. Or even 1200. You can definitely eat more and lose weight.

I know every body is different and so I can only tell you what works for me and share my story about losing on more calories. I am also 5'5". I started at 240 lbs with 1400 calories. I am set to sedentary and use MFP's formula, so I eat back most of my exercise calories as well. If you use the TDEE formula above, I believe you would likely NOT eat back your exercise calories.

I have lost 40+ lbs since May, averaging about 1.5-1.75 lbs/week. This has been sustainable to me, and I rarely feel as though I am being cheated out of any enjoyment from food. I know I can keep doing this.

Remember also that calories are fuel. At your current weight you need calories to fuel your daily activities, and your exercise. I cannot see how 1000 or even 1200 will do that in any sustainable way.

As to water, I personally drink to thirst, to keep me hydrated during workouts, or to combat unpleasant feelings when I've had too much salt. I don't strive to meet any particular number. Good luck!
  • JFsNewLife
    Options
    Thank you. I will increase my calories. It will take a change in my mindset, as I have actually become accustomed to eating less. I want the weight loss to last, and I am committed to making changes to be healthier. I appreciate all of the suggestions!!!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you've worked this into a habit, you may want to increase your calories somewhat slowly. Log everything and see where it falls. I noted that I use the MFP recommendation and eat back most of my exercise calories. Not everyone likes this approach and a different approach works better for others. There are certainly some biological facts that can't be ignored, but it is also extremely important to figure out what is sustainable for each person.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Awesome you're increasing!

Something I learned after doing too little calories, is that it's a great way to lose... but, then I'd just gain it back when I was at my goal weight.

So, I know have a little more calories in my day, to ensure that I'll still lose weight but have it more as a habit-forming deal versus weight loss only.

Congrats on the 22lbs so far & best to you!