Weight loss from water?

Options
I currently drink about 7 cups of soda a day. If I were to drink only water (preferably no calorie flavor packets added). Would I lose a lot of weight? In say a month? I'm 140 pounds and only 5'0. My goal weight is to get to a healthy 125.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If your calories from soda are more than your maintenance calories then yes you will lose weight. In a month? I don't think so.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The only thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. If you've been drinking full-sugared sodas and that's the reason you exceed your calories, then yes. If it's diet soda, however? The difference would be negligible.
  • mawilliams130
    Options
    I would drink water and maybe have 1 cup of soda so you dont feel deprived. No flavor packets...no diet sodas. Im no fan of sugar substitute. I am a health nut. Have you added up how many calories is in that many cups of soda? We have pretty much the same goal. I am doing 1200 calories daily. I also workout...burning 400 calories daily. You would probably lose ab 2 pounds a week.
  • mawilliams130
    Options
    Weight loss is more ab mathematics than anything. You gain a pound per 3500 calories. So to lose a pound you would need to burn that much. Typically your body will burn approx 1900 to 2000 calories a day. You would need to have a deficit to lose more faster. Lets say your soda is 120 cal per cup×7=840. These are empty calories. Your weight loss and rate really depends on what else you are taking in.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether or not you have been drinking diet soda - with 0 calories. If by switching from soda (not diet) to water you are cutting calories, then yes. Otherwise probably no.

Drinking a lot of water is good for you and if you drink fluids often enough you will lose water weight as your body will stop 'retaining' excess water - but you will not lose fat. You can only lose fat by creating a 'calorie deficit' e.g. eating less calories than your body burns in a day.

Hope this helps!
  • KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose weight, you need to consider more than just switching from soda to water if the rest of your nutrition and daily exercise also has room for improvement. That said, you should ditch the soda. In my mind, I would rather eat my calories than drink them, and seven cups of soda also includes a hefty amount of sugar. Definitely try switching to water and see if you feel and notice a difference (you certainly should as far as your skin and amount of toxins in your body goes), but don't expect dramatic weight loss from one nutrition switch. Do keep in mind that water flushes our bodies and is important in keeping us hydrated and healthy. Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only true way to lose weight is to eat less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. You might lose some water weight initially by cutting out soda (less sodium consumed) but if you're not monitoring your calorie intake, it's a crap shoot.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    All of the above. It is very possible to lose 15 lbs in one month if you use MFP effectively. However, it also depends how far above your bodies ideal body fat percentage you are. The closer you are to what your own body considers an ideal body fat percentage, the more difficult it is to cut off the fat. For an average woman, it is somewhere between 25-30% and somewhere between 21-24% for fit women. Athletic women range between 14-20% and you need at least 10% body fat for essential body function. The closer you get to that 10%, the more your body will resist any more fat loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you eat. Cutting sugar pop will certainly pour less calories into your body and be a help.

Cutting the diet pop will cut down on sodium, so you'd probably lose a pound or so within a day or two. It wouldn't be fat, but the scale would go down. You'd also notice that you feel better and less bloated.

To lose fat, you have to burn it off. No way around that.

I suggest you eliminate pop, tea, juice, et cetera, for a week or ten days and see how you feel. I will bet dollars to doughnuts that you feel better!

Pop is hard to eliminate. I was on and off that stuff and struggled with my silly caffeine addiction so many times. I know it isn't easy. But it's worth it in the end!! :)