Breaking through this plateau!

Options
I needed to lose 20-30 pounds in 10 weeks in preparation for a surgical procedure. This would put me back around 200lbs, which was my weight early in college, when I was in great shape (college swimmer). I have probably swapped a little muscle for fat over the years :) Doctor suggested HMR shakes to melt off the pounds, but I am looking for a more maintainable solution.

I am currently working a low calorie, high metabolism diet, focusing on limits of 150g Carbs, 130g Protein and 50g Fat, eating 6-times a day. This seems to work out to 1,100 to 1,300 Cals per day (yes,pretty low for my size). I've been ramping back up at the gym 3-4 days a week, mostly cardio stuff (I am prone to overuse injuries when too aggressive on the weights). Visited the nutritionist, she is OK with the low Cal approach for this 10wk period, but cautions a big rebound after the procedure if I am not careful.

I am 29 days in, dropped from 232 to 216. 16 lbs, not bad! But, I seem to be stuck on a plateau @ 216. I am PERFECT on my diet, cranking-up the heart rate at the gym, but 4-5 days stuck at 216 is just demoralizing!

Any suggestions to crack this thing? I am wondering if I have triggered a starvation response? - I am crazy-hungry at times throughout the day.

mark
51 yrs old

Replies

• lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at a plateau for 5 weeks and was about to go insane.. the thing that broke it for me, was eating back the exercise calories i earned.. I also made sure to get at least 100 ounces of water each day..
    everyone is different and its all about trying different things to see what works for you. Dont put yourself into that starvation mode like I was doing. IF you are only eating 1200 calories and do 400 calories in cardio that day. that means your body is only running off 800 calories for the day.. ehhhh not good! Good luck to you!