"Runners Toe"

Options
I ran my first competitive 5K at the beginning of the month, so I was training for some time beforehand. I have grown to love running, especially outdoors, so I do it often. I began to have a pain in my 2nd toe and attributed it to the nail needing to be shortened, which I did. The pain would be gone the next day, but when I ran, it would come back again. I noticed one day that it was black and immediately googled it. Found out it was called "runner toe" or "Tennis toe" and seemed to be common among runners. Most sites said not to worry and just make sure it doesnt get infected. Mine is not infected and the top cover nail, that warped came off, and i guess exposed the new nail, but the issue is its connected to the skin at the top of the toe (there is no separation at the top of the nail and the toe) and I am wondering if that will fix itself as the nail grows, or if I need to see a Dr. I found a good site with information, but it doesnt exactly list my most recent issue

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/learn/black-toenail/

I am hoping there is someone out there that has experienced this! lol.

Replies

• badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost one from running... yet. But I did when I was a competitive figure skater in my youth. It will correct itself as it grows out and separate once it reaches the point where the toe skin ends. Consider getting your running shoes 1/2 to a full size bigger than your normal shoe. For me the foot swelling wasn't distinctly noticeable until my runs got up to 10 miles... but even at 1/2 size bigger, I could see myself easily going a full size up.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    this never happened to me when I trained for a half, and I think it's because my new balance vibram running shoes are mesh and my toes can move all they want without rubbing against anything. could be worth checking out!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just like your skin, your nails can blister and callus over. I have four "callused" toe nails after losing either full or partial ones. I have gone through this in the past year with both my runners and my hiking boots.

Basically, don't worry about the toes healing up, they will. Worry about fixing the underlying problem. Get new shoes. Yours are too small. You could probably stick with the same model but just go up a size like someone suggested. Another thing would be to check out a wider toe box. It could be that your current one is too narrow and your toes are squishing together, forcing each other down into the front of the shoe.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have this as well on my second toe. It does not necessarily have to do with shoes being too tight, but pressure from the base of the foot. Galloway has a great article on this on his website. Yes, the nail will sort itself out, but it will take a looooong time.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This happened to my big toes when I first began doing a C25K years ago. The podiatrist said that keeping the nail trimmed is all I needed to do. The problem is, it takes a really long time for things to resolve themselves because the impact happens at the base of the toenail so it takes until the new toenail has grown in to "clear up."

The podiatrist actually told me he intentionally over-trims his toes to avoid this.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree that you might need a shoe with a bigger toe box. Mine were starting to bruise once my runs got over 6 miles. They weren't black yet, but were quite painful. I went up half a size on my shoe, and also went with a different type of shoe that had more room for the toes. Not a single problem since, even on 13 mile runs.

ETA: I also keep my toe nails as short as I can without getting into the quick. This seems to help as well.
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! Very helpful. I did keep the nails short, that's why I was worried, but it seems that it will be okay, lol. I will check out getting different shoes, because I am not going to give up running! :D
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing bout this happening but I have never actually seen it!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yes - what PP's said about you needing bigger shoes. I went up a whole size and haven't had a problem since. I lost a toenail after my first Half Marathon. It took a while to grow back in, but now it is good as new!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Your running shoes should be 1/2 a size bigger than what you normally wear.

I have never, ever experienced 'runners toe' thank goodness. I think I'd vomit if I saw a black toe!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Totally common, seen as sort of a "runners right of passage" to some!:) It happens to me, but only at distances of a half marathon or more, and only on the second toe on my right foot. I wear a 7.8 or 8 shoes and my running shoes are 8.5, I keep thinking about going up to the 9. It happened with both of my last marathons. I just keep the toenails painted a dark color in the summer. My husband is also a runner and seems kind of "left out" that it's never happened to him!
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known this before starting to run, but the place I bought my shoes from has a 2 yr defect policy and they are going to let me change them out (defect due to injury) either way, I'm excited to run and not have a sore toe. Lol.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This totally happened to me when I first started running. I was running in shoes that were 1/2 a size too small and I kept losing toe nails! Not cute when you're trying to sport summer sandals! And I was still in love with running then... but let me tell ya -- when I got the right sized shoes (and subsequently, stopped losing my toe nails), it was like finding my "sole" mate. :) Running and I haven't fought a day since.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had 10 fully intact toenails in the last two years because of running. Both of my second toenails are black right now with about 30 miles per week of running. I have good properly-fitted shoes, good socks, etc. It seems to only happen when I am increasing my mileage. I pretty much ignore them now.
  • giglqueen
    giglqueen Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program a month ago, got fitted for shoes at a running store, bought the $10/pair running socks, and still ended up with a huge blood blister under my second toenail on my left foot. I'm pretty sure my nail is about to fall off, and it was very painful for several days. I've contacted the running store and hopefully will be able to switch them for a pair with a bigger toe box. Everything I read said to let it heal completely before starting again to help prevent infection, but it's been 4 days now and I'm beyond ready to get back at it. Should I just wrap the toe so the nail doesn't lift and start again? I have horrible luck, so I'm afraid mine will get infected.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I run 40-45 miles a week on roads and trails in minimalist shoes (which all have wide toe-boxes). I also run sockless until the temp drops below 20 degrees. In the 3.5 years that I have been running, I have never lost a toenail or had one go black on me.... even at ultra distances... so I think the wide toe-box theory might have merit.
  • lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    pobalita wrote: »
    I don't think I've had 10 fully intact toenails in the last two years because of running. Both of my second toenails are black right now with about 30 miles per week of running. I have good properly-fitted shoes, good socks, etc. It seems to only happen when I am increasing my mileage. I pretty much ignore them now.

Glad to know I'm no the only one! Both of my second toes are purple/black after my marathon a few weeks ago. Seems to only happen above half marathon distance and at this point, I've just accepted it. I even went up another half size in my running shoes specifically for longer distances and still get messed up toenails.