Protein shakes for weightloss??

Options
Hey guys :)

Iv currently lost about 7 pounds and I need to lose another 7 pounds.. I kinda fell off the bandwagon when I got into a smaller size but I want to get back into it again, I recently bought 2 tubs of the usn ultra lean protein shake and I'm planning to take that twice and day as a meal replacent and snack inbetween it then have a normal dinner. Iv tried it for a day or two now and it really fills me up.. I'm obviously going to be working out alongside taking IT aswell.. Does this sound like a good plan, may sound dumb but I just need a little guidance please..

Much appreciated
Thank you

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely - i love my protein shakes. Whey and Casein :) I sometimes use it as a meal replacement but usually i take it after breakfast (which should be the biggest meal of your day). Drinking your shake after a big meal will help your body use the most out of what you just ate instead of wasting it
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I love my shakes, but I don't use them as meal replacements. I just drink them to boost my protein when I'm short for the day...I prefer to get protein from food, but I go meatless some days, so the shakes help.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely - i love my protein shakes. Whey and Casein :) I sometimes use it as a meal replacement but usually i take it after breakfast (which should be the biggest meal of your day). Drinking your shake after a big meal will help your body use the most out of what you just ate instead of wasting it

I've seen you say this in a couple places; I wish you'd stop as it's patently untrue and disproven. If it's YOUR OPINION that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, at least frame it as such and stop saying it like it's fact. Because it's not.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

I've seen you say this in a couple places; I wish you'd stop as it's patently untrue and disproven. If it's YOUR OPINION that breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day, at least frame it as such and stop saying it like it's fact. Because it's not.

Its definitely true when you expend the most amount of your energy during the day, therefore you should eat to gain your energy for the day - its simple logic
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

Its definitely true when you expend the most amount of your energy during the day, therefore you should eat to gain your energy for the day - its simple logic

Yes it seems logical however time and again it has been shown via studies that meal timing plays no part in weight loss. If you prefer a light breakfast and a huge lunch, as long as your calorie deficit is constant you'll lose weight. If you prefer, like me, to have your largest meal at dinner time, as long your calorie deficit is constant, you'll lose weight. It feels like the idea you've got in your head is that the metabolism has some kind of "peak hours" so to speak, and that you think you can optimize your metabolic burns based on WHEN you eat; this is just false. Metabolism is always running; most of the time just fine. Yeah, you can damage your metabolism, however, a slowed metabolism is something that is hard to ignore, but it is also hard to achieve (like you have to work at not eating enough to really damage it); a stopped metabolism = you're dead. It may be "simple logic" to you but that doesn't make it right.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah totally! I did it!

I found a great recipe for a pumpkin pie protein shake that was really good if you want it:)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

It's simple logic, yes, even too simple! And therefore not true. Animals - and even plants - store energy, to be used when necessary. If what you say were true, we would die in our sleep, and it would be impossible to lose weight. Today I use some of the surplus energy I ate two and three years ago. How can it matter if I eat breakfast or not?

Advice on eating schedules and cutting food groups are remains from a time when everything was different - we didn't have McDonalds everywhere, and no access to automated calorie tables. It was useful then. Now it's redundant. Meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism, but everything to do with wellbeing and hence compliance. Eat at times that suit you, and food you like.
  • Teelays
    Teelays Posts: 14
    Options
    Yeah totally! I did it!

I found a great recipe for a pumpkin pie protein shake that was really good if you want it:)

I would love it :)
    Thank you so much
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat my calories, therefore my protein shakes are in addition to my regular meals, not replacements.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Use a shake as a meal replacement now and again if you're really stuck for a meal is fine, certainly not as a daily thing especially twice a day.

Protein shakes are supplements not meal replacements. Also this will not be teaching yourself good nutrition. It's best to eat real food...you're not going to live life on shakes forever more.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason why you'd rather drink the calories instead of eating them??
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason why you'd rather drink the calories instead of eating them??
    Thank you! This^^^
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink protein shakes for convenience but I don't find them as filling as solid food. I don't think the protein shakes alone are meant as a meal replacement.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love my shakes, but I don't use them as meal replacements. I just drink them to boost my protein when I'm short for the day...I prefer to get protein from food, but I go meatless some days, so the shakes help.

This^

Protein shakes are not the same. They are good supplements, not replacements. Have something with your shakes to make them more of a meal....look to add fat & and fiber (which I guess are missing).
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    A big problem with trying to use liquid calories for a meal replacement is that it doesn't stay in your stomach very long. The end result is that you feel hungry a lot sooner, even though you're absorbing all those calories into your body.
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Rather than a standard protein shake, I've been using the Garden of Life RAW Meal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and half a banana every morning. Super filling, and it's made to be a meal, rather than just a protein shake. It doesn't taste great on it's own, but with the half a banana and some ice, mixed up in the blender, it's a perfect meal for me (and keeps me full from around 7 AM until 11 or 11:30, when I usually have a small morning snack)
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I sometimes drink protein shakes for convenience but I don't find them as filling as solid food. I don't think the protein shakes alone are meant as a meal replacement.
    Right. I used to "eat" them for lunch as part of an emergency attempt to lose enough to save my life right then, but noticed that I spent the afternoons wanting to :sick:and not paying attention in classes or homework time due to no energy. So I now "indulge in" real food 2-3 times a day like a normal eater, with very little guilt.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, unless you plan on staying on shakes forever, it's kind of pointless to use them, with the exception of needing food when you don't have time. Total calories is the only thing that matters when it comes to weight loss. Total protein and training regimen will affect muscle retention and satiety. Fat also affects satiety and nutrient absorption and carbs affect energy. And NO breakfast does not need to be the biggest meal as your body stores energy.

If you are struggling to lose weight, I would question if you are accurately logging calories. So I would ask if you have a food scale and if you log daily?
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    protein shakes to get the required amount of protein

eating less for weight loss
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shake in the morning. I'm often rushing out the door, so it's a great way to get my coffee and breakfast in one. I make quick shakes with Spirutein protein powder, organic Silk Soy Milk, some powdered espresso and a little splash of chocolate syrup for sweetness. Throw it all in a blender bottle and good to go. Delicious!