Gingerale for nueasea.. swaps?

Options
So,

Of course pop is not exactly a good choice.

In my case, I get car sick.
I sometimes don't have a problem.
But a 5hour bus ride, or a 5 minute car ride, I tend to get a very uneasy stomach and feel very sick.

I've tried gum, mints, bringing snacks in the car.. but nothing seems to settle my stomach down, other than gingerale.

Any other things that may help so I can cut out that pop?

*No negativity! If you think it's a silly question, just move along please.

Just looking for maybe things that helped other people, as no.. sitting in a car, especially long rides feeling like I'm going to have to make someone pull over so I can be sick the entire time, is not really an option for me.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea?
  • 1992mittens13
    1992mittens13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Ginger tea?
    I've never heard of that haha! I should deffinitly look into that! :) thanks!

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If ginger ale works, stick with it. Have you tried diet?
    Have you tried the sea-sickness wrist bands? When I was pregnant they worked fairly well for me. I thought they were gimmicky, but for $10 gave them a shot. They weren't a miracle cure by any means, and didn't quell everything, but definitely made enough of a difference to get me through the last of grad school classes.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I relate as I used to have this problem. Seasickness, too. Keep your eyes on the horizon. It's your inner ear signals not matching what your eyes are seeing. http://www.medicinenet.com/motion_sickness_sea_sickness_car_sickness/article.htm
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea or even a bit of raw ginger can help.

Also, just a tip, if you approach every thread defensively and expecting conflict you are going to invite it.
  • 1992mittens13
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    Ginger tea or even a bit of raw ginger can help.

Also, just a tip, if you approach every thread defensively and expecting conflict you are going to invite it.

Sorry, I don't think saying no negativity please move along.. is really defensive :P Good to know some people may take it that way, but I really was just saying that it's not a place to get negative comments :P That's all :D
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Browsing around I found a home-made ginger and echanacea tea that looks lovely.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We boil ginger in water, add lemon, and then ice it.
    I also keep the ginger tea bags around.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Raw ginger, or even ginger tablets (yes, they're out there) work for many. I've had success with the seasickness wrist bands (I get motion sickness on large buses).
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from motion sickness. Sometimes it's very severe, like I'll make myself sick driving and be down and out for hours afterwards. I've tried everything, Dramamine, meclizine, antihistimines, those wrist bands (which hurt after awhile), etc. While they all help a little bit, usually not nearly enough. What I've found that works best is ginger root in pill form. I get it OTC and it's super cheap. I take it every morning. It's the only thing I've found that actually prevents motion sickness. (I also drink tea that has ginger root in it.) I can tell when I get into the car with Mr. Pineapple driving if I've forgotten to take it almost instantaneously, it's made a huge difference.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Meclizine (prescription) or Dramamine.

Also, Seabands.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I keep a jar of pickled ginger on hand for when my stomach feels queasy. It seems to help.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea is great. You could make it iced and bring it in a thermos--I don't know how that would work for motion sickness, but it's worth a try. I'd also do diet ginger ale, but I have no problems drinking diet soda and really like ginger ale. The Zevia one is okay if you don't mind stevia.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You could try candied ginger root.
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ginger drops, Dramamine, ginger candy, ginger tea, seabands. Lots of options!!
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have found ginger gum at the drug store...really helps (I get bus sick). I think Sea Band makes it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You could try brewing really strong ginger tea, icing it, and mixing it with some club soda.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I get violently car sick and I take Bonine or Dramamine. If you want to avoid medication, Sea Bands also work reasonably well. Nothing else helps.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Asian groceries have the best variety of ginger products - I like ginger candy and pickled ginger.

I got a pair of those bands as a gift a few years ago - the ones that have a little knob that goes against the pressure point in your wrist? I have to say, they worked very well. Over time, they improved my motion sickness quite a bit, and now when I feel it I can usually just press on that point on my wrist and ease it up a lot. I've been reading books on airplanes, which was unheard of for the first 30 years of my life.
  • 1992mittens13
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you everyone :D