How to get OUT of a plateau?

Options
I have been doing REALLY well with my calorie counting and exercise. In fact, I'm exercising now more than I ever have been. But it seems like I will not lose any more weight. What can I do in order to get out of this slump I'm in? Should I INCREASE my calories? I have decreased them by 400 daily. Should I exercise more? Any tips???

Replies

• MissMe2morrow
    Options
    It's really hard to say without seeing your diary-- you might want to open it up so folks can give more accurate advice. :)
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    and how long have you been plateaud for?
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I am hitting a plateau, I increase my calories by 100-200 per day and change my excercise routine. After 4 days to a week, I go back to my regular calorie goal but keep the same workout. In general, if your body is plateauing, it means it has figured out what you are doing and how to maintain it's weight there. You have to shock it (healthily!).
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd like to follow this post to because I have been the same way over the past two weeks. I have worked out 6 times in the past week and been within my calorie count +/- 100 calories. And, when I work out I am there for over an hour switching it up between cardio and weight lifting and two of those days I did circuit training. I have lost no weight. It is so frustrating.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have been doing REALLY well with my calorie counting and exercise. In fact, I'm exercising now more than I ever have been. But it seems like I will not lose any more weight. What can I do in order to get out of this slump I'm in? Should I INCREASE my calories? I have decreased them by 400 daily. Should I exercise more? Any tips???

If you are eating less the 1200 NET you won't lose weight. Your metabolism will slow instead. Increase your calories or drop down your weight loss goal - this will give you more calories. And then give it a few weeks.

More exercise means you need to eat more to fuel it. And incorporate some heavy weights (heavy is relative to what you can handle). This will help preserve your lean muscle mass and this is what makes our metabolism.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I posted this yesterday and it may help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/228004-why-is-your-weight-loss-stalled

Good luck!
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I found that I needed to increase my calories by about 150 a day. I also eat up to maintainance calories one day a week. I have been losing about 1 pound a week since I started doing it this way 8 weeks ago.
  • Quaneshia1983
    Options
    I was at the same place you are at, I had to increase my calorie intake and switch up my workout. I now do interval training on the treadmill for 60min. and weight training, all those things helped me keep losing weight. So maybe you might want to try that but like others were saying if you open up your food dairy to us we can help you more. I hope that helps. Good luck and don't give up.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck for a while too, but in the past I have found small changes really work. Usually I increase my protein, lower my carbs and change my workouts up a little. You are probably also gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously, which doesn't always make the scale move but it is a step towards fitness :)
  • misslo718
    misslo718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I seem to have broken a 4 week plateau today (fingers crossed it sticks). At the advice of my trainer, I started doing 2 strength training workouts per week of 1/2 each, instead of 1 one-hour one. She says this boosts metabolism. I cut out yogurt and cheese (on the theory that dairy is inflammatory). I kept the milk in my coffee, and that's it. I was eating a ton of cheese and yogurt, even though i was staying under my calories.

The last thing i did was weighed all my portions. I did this at the beginning and stopped. I was really shocked at how much more i was eating unintentionally.