Hacker's Diet Anyone?

Options
minizebu
minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
Is anyone else using an “exponentially smoothed moving average with 10% smoothing” trend line to track their weight loss a la John Walker's Hacker's Diet?

I have found the use of the trend line extremely helpful in tracking my weight, as well as for monitoring my average saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium intake.

I have been suffering from a wee lack of motivation of late and my weight trend line has flattened a bit, with more than a few weigh-ins above the line. However, I am feeling rejuvenated now and I am motivated to find other motivated friends. A number of my MFPals seemed to have dropped out.

Any analytical types, logic lovers, or other folks conversant with mathematics care to join me? Together we can aim for more sinkers and fewer floats.

Replies

• Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't know a thing about it, but I am going to read about it later.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/
  • minizebu
    Options
    It isn't really a "diet". He advocates calorie counting, the same as everyone here is doing. However, he offers some easy to understand analogies for why people struggle with their weight and suggests the use of daily weigh-ins, record keeping and charting a trend line to stay on track and guide the calorie counting.
  • minizebu
    Options
    Shameless bump, on the chance that there are any other weight hackers out there. Anyone?
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm giving it a try after a friend used it to break through a plateau.
  • Skydaver
    Skydaver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Another bump ... I've used the weight tracking for years, even when I was overeating & watching my weight go up.

In my opinion, using MFP for your food tracking (it's WAY easier to do that in MFP) and Hacker's Diet for weight tracking gives you total feedback. MFP shows you your estimated input, HD shows you your outcome and calculates by data from your weight what your actual daily deficit (or surplus) calorie intake is.

The downside to Hacker's Diet is that it's down right now.

He does have a set of spreadsheets/macros for Excel (which will probably work in Libre Office) so you can do your tracking on your own computer, rather than storing the data in his server.

He also has exercises & levels of exercise that I have never tried.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bump

Yeah, I'm a nerd. I use it. I like it a lot because I feel like the feedback gives better and more accurate guidance than you're likely to get otherwise.

But I use MFP for food tracking, as that's easier than paper versions.
  • braddillman
    Options
    Yes, I'm using MFP for food tracking, and the Libra Android for weight charting. I did this for about 5 weeks in February-March 2014, lost about 10-12 lbs. and then stopped. Gained them back over the summer. Back on it again, got the re-motivation from my wife who just started WW.

Every time I've tried MFP it's worked as long as I stick with it. Sticking with it seems to be my challenge.