I need to curb my snacking!!!!!

Options
I used this plpan last year and lost 23 lbs between 4 Feb to 8th May...it was so easy. Now I am struggling so much. I think I eat in the evening through boredom!!!! I give in so so easily

Replies

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    One piece of advice........stop snacking so much. You're welcome.
  • Tornadoes_R_Fun
    Options
    dont keep snacks in the house.
  • Misterfish96
    Misterfish96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    or keep better healthy snacks around. A big glass of water is a great way to fill up too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm such a boredom eater, I empathize. You have a few options:
    1. Keep the things you love to snack on out of the house. I'm sure you know these foods. You think about them all evening long and eating them triggers more eating. Stop buying them. Buy low calorie, healthy snacks like veggies and low sugar fruits.
    2. Pre-plan your evening snack in your diary. Pre-portion your snack to fit that entry and when it's gone, you're done snacking. Don't take the whole package with you to the sofa. This requires a little more willpower but it's what I usually do.
    3. Find something to do with your hands that would preclude eating at the same time you're doing it. Things like knitting, cross-stitching, crocheting, etc. are great because your hands are busy and they have to stay clean.
  • lynntfuzz
    lynntfuzz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you aren't doing too much of a calorie deficit, just enough for it to be sustainable but not so big a calorie deficit that you start eating your own arm! LOL.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Duglo1 wrote: »
    I used this plpan last year and lost 23 lbs between 4 Feb to 8th May...it was so easy. Now I am struggling so much. I think I eat in the evening through boredom!!!! I give in so so easily

SueInAZ nailed it. I play solitaire when watching TV. I keep a big glass of ice water handy.

Eating while bored is not just something you need to control when trying to lose weight....you will need coping skills once you reach maintenance.

If commercials are an issue.....deck of cards workout: Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I too am an evening snacker, my friend. What I do is, ensure I snack during the day (fruit in the morning & afternoon) and *don't buy bad snacks*. Or, like others said, keep healthier snacks around. I find that string cheese is a good one. Low-ish calorie and filling.

Find your string cheese.

(Sorry, the usage of "my friend" set the tone for the cheesy [pun, I just keep going] line.)
  • RavenaRae
    RavenaRae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Someone on MFP posted a comment that has helped me tremendously with this same issue. Eat only clean foods when snacking. Her example was eating 800 calories worth of apples is difficult to do because clean foods make you feel full. Eating 800 calories of pizza or brownies can be done very quickly because it doesn't make you feel full and actually makes you crave it again the next day.
  • reba020
    reba020 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I too was an evening snacker. Now I play games on my iPad while watching tv or I snack on whole green beans w/ seasoning or an apple. Both take a while to eat and fill you up with good fiber!
  • Jill814
    Jill814 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i am a snacker as well... i was told a few different tricks maybe they will help you... i love watching biggest loser...while eating chips n dip... do we see the irony in this?! my problem was night time snacking. so i would brush my teeth before sitting down and relaxing, or sit in a different spot then your used to. take the food out of the house. i have 2 kids so snacks are always in the house. i would get stuff for them that i would never reach for, i lack will power! keep your hands busy. play with your phone, i would help my daughter make friendship bracelets, read anything to keep busy so i wouldnt cave. so far its working and some days are serious battles for me. good luck!
  • chrissylove0
    chrissylove0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker but I love sweets need to curb it to something else. I'm starting over and determined to break the habit of sweets