Healthy, balanced breakfast

Options
I'm in recovery for anorexia, and unfortunately can't afford to go into the treatment center I'm supposed to be at. With that being said, I've had a hard time eating breakfast, and I really don't know what is considered a "normal" breakfast... Anyone have favorite breakfast meals they would be willing to share to help get me started?

Replies

• sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yogurt nuts and dried fruits. Yummy, and quite light!
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Or if you have the time use fresh fruits, even yummier!
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I like the Kashi GoLean cereals which I eat with almond milk. The GoLean collection has a moderate amount of protein. I've also eaten egg scrambles in a cup; which I use Egg Beaters to make. Here are a few recipe options: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1256-shes-got-eggs-and-she-knows-how-to-use-them. Finally, I'll also eat steel cut oats which I doctor up with a little protein powder.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Protein pancakes!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with berries, a few chopped nuts, and a sprinkle of high fiber cereal. Protein, fat & fiber all rolled into one.

OR
    Oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter stirred in.

OR
    Egg scramble on a high fiber tortilla with a sprinkle of cheese.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with the yogurt, etc. Keeps me full, but doesn't feel heavy and is easy! We also like to make "egg cups" with chopped veggies and scrambled eggs baked in a muffin tin (they keep VERY well in the freezer). Also, smoothies are a great option too. You can sneak in some peanut butter and/or protein powder without compromising on flavor or texture. Frozen fruit can be pricey sometimes, but bags go on sale regularly and I stock up when they do, so we can keep a big variety on hand. It's nice to mix it up!

There is a message board around here somewhere that's called "What's for Breakfast???" that I use as inspiration all the time! Lots of good ideas
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    A good breakfast will have protein, fat, and carb, so for example oatmeal (carb) + sausage (fat & protein), cereal (carb) + 2% or whole milk milk (carb/protein/fat) + almonds (fat). So about half a plate of carb (1c) and half a plate worth of protein (1c/5-6oz) plus at least a tablespoon of fat would be ideal.

I like TeaBea's suggestions especially
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My "healthy, balanced: breakfast can be anything that gives me a good macro balance. I can't eat high-carb for breakfast and lunch or I get hungry quickly.

My breakfast is usually pretty similar over the days. Diary is open.

Also I eat 1/3rd of my calories at breakfast. i've yet to try the 1/2 calorie method as I dont' think it's quite necessary.
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Better Oats Packet of Oatmeal (whatever flavor hits me that morning)
    +1tsp cocoa powder
    +1scoop Whey Protein Powder

Pretty well rounded in regards to macros.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A high-fiber cereal, low or no-fat milk, some fruit and an egg once in a while...or just egg whites. :)

Fiber is really hard to get into the diet and a cereal (e.g. Raisin Bran) with fiber is a nice way to up it.

But if you're at the stage where you just need calories, calories and more calories, have the whole milk with Crunch Berries or Lucky Charms or whatever you like! It's hard enough to have to gain, so you may as well enjoy the flavor!!

Good luck!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Bircher muesli/ overnight oats can be a very tasty (and light) way to start the day. Just mix 4 tbsp of oats, with 1 tbsp of chia seeds, 4 tbsp of water/ milk, a small pot of your favourite yoghurt, a handful of berries (frozen are fine), and leave in the fridge overnight. In the morning you will have a very tasty breakfast :smile:

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    During the work week I will usually have a couple of eggs scrambled with 1/2 an avocado...sometimes I replace the 1/2 avocado with a Greek Yogurt cup...sometimes oatmeal as well...but pretty much I always eat eggs in the morning. My breakfasts tend to be smaller and my lunches larger during the work week.

On the weekend I tend towards larger breakfasts and usually do the whole eggs, bacon, toast, side of fruit thing. Sometimes I substitute hashbrowns for my toast.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love soaking steel cut oats in almond milk with fresh (or frozen) fruits and veggies over night when I want something hearty in the morning. Otherwise, those Belvita breakfast biscuits are good for when you need to eat something but aren't necessarily hungry, and hard-boiled eggs for a protein-packed followup for later.

I eat a larger breakfast now than I used to, but I snack less on crap during the day. Give/take.

Congratulations on your recovery! Eat whatever sounds good to you -- ideally you'll want some carb, some fruit, and some protein to keep you going. Whether that's peanut butter on a rice cracker with an apple, or a smoothie with oatmeal in it, go for what appeals to you. You deserve it! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like some others have said, what matters for me is the macro balance.

My favorite breakfast is a two egg omelet (whole eggs!) with vegetables and (usually) some feta cheese. The vegetables just depend on what's available, but I tend to use a lot.

Because I like bigger breakfasts and more protein I usually have some other protein source on the side (yogurt, cottage cheese, or smoked salmon are the most common, but really it depends on what I have on hand), and I often have some fruit too.

When I'm tired of this I occasionally have oatmeal (I like the texture of steel cut, but it doesn't matter--I make it in a rice cooker), but I always have some veggies on the side, some fruit in the oatmeal, and lately I've found that this works better if I also add some protein powder to the oatmeal.

Also, on occasion, I just ignore the whole breakfast thing and have leftover dinner food or a salad with my smoked salmon or leftover meat on it.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    First question is, what do you like to eat?

Start with what you enjoy and you will have better success. If the reply is nothing, then ANY calories for breakfast is progress.

There have been many replies and options. What appeals to you?

Strivingtobethinner, that pseudonym would not be my first choice as recovering from anorexia. This is a mind game, either losing or gaining weight. Anything helps that reinforces a positive image. What do you truly strive for? In the Settings you can change your username.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    2 eggs scrambled with cheese and diced chicken breast topped with avocado and salsa. Coffee with milk. Since you're not overweight and therefore not eating at a deficit, you'll likely want to add a glorious piece of toast with butter and jelly.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    my diary is open ..

i usually go with four eggs, four egg whites, bagel, cheese, and bacon ….
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations and best wishes on your continuing recovery from an ED. The following answers presume you're not a vegan:

Seconding greek yogurt (pick your favorite) with a granola; half a cup of each for starters.

A simple hard-boiled egg with a slice of toast is a viable choice, particularly in your situation.

There are several good protein bars that make for a simple breakfast option.

Don't forget some fresh fruit to add some variety and fiber, as well.