Why was I overweight?

Options
13»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Well......because you ate to much!!! If you are still gaining weight it's because you are eating to much, there is no way around it!!! Surplus in calories you gain and deficit in calories you lose and when you don't lose or gain you are in maintenance!!! Also it doesn't matter what foods you eat either!!!

16556021.png
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    More than likely OP, you were eating above maintenance. It doesn't mean you were pigging out or eating "bad" foods, but you ate more than you burned. I got to where I was partially because of PCOS, but also because I overate. I didn't think I was eating badly (my parents put me on diets for much of my childhood, and I spent most of high school eating vegetarian), and people were surprised that I liked vegetables more than sweets/most fried foods. But when I started meticulously tracking my food intake and measuring what I ate (starting with weight watchers and now on mfp), I found that I ate more than I thought I did, and my portion sizes and perception of what was calorie-dense and what wasn't was pretty off.

So in short, I don't think it means you need to severely restrict, but it does mean you should track consistently and honestly, and live a lifestyle (this is for life, not until you get to goal) that is mindful of what you are eating to lose or maintain, and is sustainable.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?
  • motivatedgirljess
    motivatedgirljess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Well......because you ate to much!!! If you are still gaining weight it's because you are eating to much, there is no way around it!!! Surplus in calories you gain and deficit in calories you lose and when you don't lose or gain you are in maintenance!!! Also it doesn't matter what foods you eat either!!!

16556021.png

I'm not gaining weight. I'm losing.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing, measuring and logging everything you eat? If not how do you know that you aren't over-eating and what the right portion size is?
  • motivatedgirljess
    Options
    How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

1.0*10^1000 licks
  • Serah87
    Options

16556021.png

How many calories are you eating??

• motivatedgirljess
    Options

16556021.png

I average 1200
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You were overweight because you ate more than you burned off.
  • Serah87
    Options

16556021.png

I average 1200

That's why you are losing weight!!!! I am 45 yrs old and losing weight at between 1600-1900 calories, I just recently hit my goal weight and working on upping my calories right now I am eating between 2000-2300 calories. YOU are 18 yrs old and should be eating way more then me. You need to figure out your TDEE and eat MORE!!!!

• motivatedgirljess
    Options

16556021.png

I average 1200

That's why you are losing weight!!!! I am 45 yrs old and losing weight at between 1600-1900 calories, I just recently hit my goal weight and working on upping my calories right now I am eating between 2000-2300 calories. YOU are 18 yrs old and should be eating way more then me. You need to figure out your TDEE and eat MORE!!!!

I'm eating the recommended amount for my age/lifestyle/goals (I'm trying to lose weight...). I work out at the gym everyday but I do school online so I don't burn much other than at the gym. You probably need more because your work is more active.
  • Serah87
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just estimated your TDEE, not sure of your height and current weight. To lose weight between 1/2 to 1 pound a week, -10% of your TDEE, cause you don't look like you have much to lose, you should be eating around 1800 calories and that is with light exercise 1-3 hours a week!!! So yes you can more!!