Almost 40 and frustrated :(

Options
karona313
karona313 Posts: 37
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I'm almost 40, only 1 year and a half away. I've been eating right and working out for two months with little movement on the scale. I've had my thyroid checked and there isn't a problem! I just need to be patient I guess. Please feel free to add me.

Thank you!!

Replies

• Moppet76
    Moppet76 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really feel you - 38 y.o - did this for months. I finally lost 3 lbs - discovered it yesterday, after about 3 months of being really strict on counting (before that I used to fudge a lot "oh - if I go about 100 calories over, it doesn't matter...). I am relieved and trying to use it as motivation to move forward. If it makes you feel better, all the research says the slower you lose weight the better you keep it off! Hang in there.
  • karona313
    Options
    Thank you! Just frustrated because I used to lose it so quickly...literally just change my eating behavior and it would melt away. Of course I'd gain it back quickly too. I guess you're right, I hope this time it will stay gone! Thank you, Moppet76!
  • wyrdsister
    wyrdsister Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I seem to have hit a wall 3 weeks and no weight loss grr. 99 percent on track and the couple of days ive mucked up over the month arent huge. I suppose Ive got to move more. I hear you its frustrataring to plateau.
  • karona313
    Options
    I guess it would be easier if I saw even a little loss, but it's hard when I haven't seen one yet. I'm increasing my deficit vas hope that will get it moving. Also I'm switching around my exercise. Just really feel deflated sometimes. !!! Super suck.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It is true the slower it takes to loose the more you learn along the way, helps stop you falling back into old habits.

I turned 40 in september, and it has been the start of a new life for me, but dont worry about actual loss, as long as your staying stable, and feeling healthy, the weight will come in time, just plod along and never give up.

The human body is like any machine, change it's programming and it doesnt always work way it supposed to, sometimes it takes a while to get used to it and settle down into the new routines.

You'll get there sweetie, just have faith in yourself and enjoy the change, a happy lifestyle will make it so much easier in time.

huggz
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging everything accurately?
    How much are you trying to lose per week, how many calories are you on and what size is the deficit you think you are on? Its importnat that you get these basic points correct. If there isnt a medical problem then I would have expected to see some progress, so I would say you arent at a deficit which is you are eating more than you think and or burning less than you think. Run through it with a few of your friends and they can check your targets.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale, get one STAT! That helps me - altho my weight has stalled (I have a sluggish thyroid, threw out my back, injured my foot, all in the last year or so). Anyhow, keep up the good work, invest in a good food scale, and start picking up those weights. ;)
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and lost 7 lbs so far in 30 days.. I bought a scale and log every bit plus I try and eat back my exercise cals too.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I agree about logging faithfully and measuring and weighing. Also maybe an HRM to more accurately track your exercise calories. Can't really trust the machines or the MFP estimates.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    karona313 wrote: »
    I'm almost 40, only 1 year and a half away. I've been eating right and working out for two months with little movement on the scale. I've had my thyroid checked and there isn't a problem! I just need to be patient I guess.

To be blunt, that is all being 40 seems to be about - working hard just to maintain anymore. I've been at this for a few years and while I have seen decent improvements over that time, if I had been eating this healthy and exercising this much in my 30's I would be thin and ripped. I've just come to grips with it and keep plugging away.

• karona313
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Are you weighing and logging everything accurately?
    How much are you trying to lose per week, how many calories are you on and what size is the deficit you think you are on? Its importnat that you get these basic points correct. If there isnt a medical problem then I would have expected to see some progress, so I would say you arent at a deficit which is you are eating more than you think and or burning less than you think. Run through it with a few of your friends and they can check your targets.

Thank you all for your help and advice :smile: I have been weighing all my food and have been using a vivofit with the heart-rate monitor. My nutritionist just increased my deficit to see if that gets things moving. I really think there's just very little room for error at this point. I can't have more than a 1000 calorie deficit a day and trying to so no less than 750. I attempt to log anything that goes into my mouth :neutral_face: This is the first week so I will see what happens :). The support on here is really fabulous. Thank you all.