Calorie burn for "Insanity" - Pure cardio

Options
Hi MFP!
I started the "Insanity" workouts recently (My forth day to be exact... I don't have a heart rate monitor and I can't tell how many calories I really have burned... In the excercise log there was no option to choose for "Insanity" so I picked "High Aerobics" which is a 441 cal burn... Not sure if this is right because I completely am winded after the 45 min session.... When I work the elliptical I burn about 500 cal in 30 min....
Anyone have an estimated calorie count for their "Insanity" workout? A little help please....

Replies

• raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say its about accurate. You should really get you a HRM though so you'll be sure. An investment, but totally worth it. Think of it as an investment in your health! :wink:
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh 146 pounds and I burn about 500 calories w/Pure Cardio. It's a doozie of a workout, ain't it?!?!
  • acchickpea
    acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh 146 pounds and I burn about 500 calories w/Pure Cardio. It's a doozie of a workout, ain't it?!?!

It really is! They don't call it insanity for nothing... It's really insane! Did you find out how much you burned through a heart rate monitor?
  • acchickpea
    Options
    I would say its about accurate. You should really get you a HRM though so you'll be sure. An investment, but totally worth it. Think of it as an investment in your health! :wink:

Thanks! I think I will invest in one.... Now I have to find a good brand that works well and is not clunky....
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's pretty accurate. That's one of my higher burns for Insanity. I checked my log but the last time that I did it I had Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs and my burn was about 480. I'm 5'8" and 157lbs. Hope that helps!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    And I have a Polar FT4 which is how I determine my burn. Love it. The color of the watch is kinda 'eh' but it works perfect and fits my wrist great, not too lose not too big.
  • acchickpea
    Options
    I'd say it's pretty accurate. That's one of my higher burns for Insanity. I checked my log but the last time that I did it I had Pure Cardio and Cardio Abs and my burn was about 480. I'm 5'8" and 157lbs. Hope that helps!
    That helps but... Now I'm questioning why when I workout on my elliptical for 30 min and some resistance I burn 500 and some calories... That's about 15 min less of Insanity and way less intense but more of a calorie loss.........
    Am I being to much of a calorie counting junkie?
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes the calories burned have been taken from my HRM. I have a Timex HRM. I have my calories burned for the other Insanity workouts (including P90X), but in all reality, to get the most accurate for your intensity, weight and age, the HRM is the best bet. In addition, it will allow you to know when you are ready to go back to the workout when doing the interval training. If you just started, you may need additional time to slow your heart rate down before joining in. Safety is key! Best of luck! I start my 7th week tomorrow of my Insanity and P90X hybrid. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel great and I can see the muscle tone a little more each day.
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have to echo everyone else. Until I purchased a HRM, my calorie burn was WAY off in my journal. Now I know its accurate, and that some days when I work extra hard, I can burn more! Some days I am in it harder/more intense than others. So my calories vary!
  • alingle77
    alingle77 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have a PT4 also...love it ! I was so use to my treadmill giving me the calories count, it drove me nuts the first couple days not knowing ! So I spent 90.00 on this at Best Buy ! I love it ! It is real insane...and the first couple weeks I have not been able to keep up totally ! But just keep digging deeper ! LOL Love insanity !
  • acchickpea
    Options
    Yes the calories burned have been taken from my HRM. I have a Timex HRM. I have my calories burned for the other Insanity workouts (including P90X), but in all reality, to get the most accurate for your intensity, weight and age, the HRM is the best bet. In addition, it will allow you to know when you are ready to go back to the workout when doing the internal training. If you just started, you may need additional time to slow your heart rate down before joining in. Safety is key! Best of luck! I start my 7th week tomorrow of my Insanity and P90X hybrid. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel great and I can see the muscle tone a little more each day.

Thanks! That's great that you are seeing the results from the hard work!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I also got a Timex recently and love it. I was actually underestimating my burn for Pure Cardio - I'm 5'5", 140 and burn about 470 doing it. Thought that was high, but my average HR is 150 - at 48 years old, that's close to max, so I'm burning :smile:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    That helps but... Now I'm questioning why when I workout on my elliptical for 30 min and some resistance I burn 500 and some calories... That's about 15 min less of Insanity and way less intense but more of a calorie loss.........
    Am I being to much of a calorie counting junkie?

Your elliptical calories are way off--I would say by close to double. It looks like you weigh about 60 kilos. It would take a fairly hard, sustained effort for 60 continuous minutes for you to burn 600 calories in an hour. I doubt you are at that level of effort continuously for a full 60 minutes during the Insanity workout, so I would suspect you are in the 450-525 range.

At your weight, an Olympic marathoner would have trouble burning 500 calories in 30 minutes.
  • AllAbtSoccer
    AllAbtSoccer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I do this, I do 20 min for Calisthenics (pushups, sit-ups), vigorous effort. And 20 min for Aerobics, high impact. I think that should even it all out. :happy:
  • dfvillasr
    dfvillasr Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds too much for 30 minutes, unless it is really intense. If the elliptical is not reading your HR continuously it might not be very accurate. It would be interesting for you to buy a HRM and use it in the elliptical to compare.
  • booh123
    booh123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is most likely giving giving you the total calories burned rather than net. The total cal include your met rate (what would lose per hour without working out)...I used a HR monitor & here's my numbers without cardio abs:
    32 y/o F 154 lbs 5'5...
    HR min 130/ max 172/ ave: 150
    Total calories burned were right at 650!
  • BobbiJo124
    BobbiJo124 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a HR monitor tomorrow.. this guessing game is for the birds...
  • beverley770
    beverley770 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just completed 45 minutes of Insanity Pure Cardio. I'm 5'4" and, unfortunately, 120lbs at the moment :-( He how many calories would I have burnt please? :-)