Apart from the obvious...

Options
2»

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I meant examples such as: staying hydrated, eating before 6pm etc... are these things that really help?

It only helps if it happens help you personally stay in a deficit. Some people find that drinking more water will help them from snacking, but drinking more water itself won't do anything for weight loss. It won't "flush" fat from the body, or whatever ridiculous claim people make. And meal timing is completely irrelevant. You can eat your whole calorie allotment at midnight and still lose weight if it's less than you burned all day and night.

• marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Dance by the light of the moon. It will double your weight loss. I swear.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Attack the mayor with hummus.
  • kittyfantastico66
    kittyfantastico66 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks Oz ;) x

Plus, dancing by the light of the moon - win win!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ROFL I was really hoping you'd get that reference :)

To your question: I think the most important thing is to take the long view. The scale can be your best friend or your worst enemy so the most critical thing, assuming you're counting your calories, is to not give up when it's your enemy. All of the little details about when to eat, intermittent fasting, low carb blah blah blah are all (IMO) ways to make the process of lowering your net caloric intake easier for a person, and they work or don't work based on someone's personality only. I'm sure you know what's basically healthy and what's basically not, no reason to obsess. Just manage the long game and overcome disappointments.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Consistency, so to ensure you are doing the eating less and moving more you need to log accurately and keep doing it. If you read the stikys then youll understand why people gove the answer they do. Just get the basic idea right,
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Accurate logging and understanding that it's not going to all come off at once

I couldn't agree more.

Also, drinking a lot of water, especially when traveling but every day. Even if you're like me and you really don't feel thirsty that much...work it into your routine all day and evening and just make it a habit. It truly does help.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    More yellow crayons, less witchcraft.

And if you're dancing by the light of the moon, don't take your boyfriend. I'm just sayin.

Weight loss...find what works for you and then ignore all the people who tell you that you're doing it wrong. Oh, and read up on rotator cuff injuries before swimming into ocean wavers because it's fun. There's a piece of advice I wish I'd received. :)
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Well you know the obvious, but there is one thing I've done for the last 400 days that has helped me with the eat less part.......................pre-logging my meals. Every morning over coffee I log in what I plan on eating and when, it may change slightly as the day goes on, but this way I'm sure to fit in my macros the way I want and stay under.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You will go off track but accept it and move on, don't give up
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything else is personal preference. Some people do better eating lots of small meals, others do better eating just once or twice a day. Some people are hungry all day if they eat first thing in the morning, others are hungry all day if they don't. Some people feel better eating low carb, other people feel better with a more moderate amount.

The human body is a wacky and complex machine :p you have to play around with your eating and exercising to find what works for you!

Oh, having said that, I throw in another vote for patience and setting realistic goals!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It helped me to set some specific goals, including non-scale ones, which helped with the patience. I felt like there was something I was doing, whether or not I saw the scale go down that day.

It also helped a lot to have an understanding of why I'd gained weight and to channel my love of food into a love of cooking. (I know not everyone enjoys cooking, but I think the two aren't that far apart.)

And, yeah, it helped to realize that what works (beyond eating fewer calories than maintenance) will differ for everyone and that I needed to find what worked for me and my preferred lifestyle.