Weight Training

Options
Can someone please help me understand why there are no calories burned when you enter weight training in MFP? To my understanding any physical activity you do is burning calories. Not to mention your building muscle mass (or in my case trying to) and it's not counting on my calorie counter? I do cardio quite a bit but I've been told if I want to build muscle to do weight training cause that will help with my areas that need special attention. Cardio is good don't get me wrong but it has to go hand in hand with weights Right? I spent an hour today doing some intense weight training and when I put it all in my exercise profile I was dumbfounded that it didn't count towards my calories burned for today, Really? But if I sweep my floors it counts???? OH boy am I lost here!~

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Enter it under cardio.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know how much is being burned. go under cardio and search strength.
  • AromaticTie0
    AromaticTie0 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Most of my workout is based around strength training, and I wanted the credit for the calories. Like the previous posts said, you can enter "strength training" under cardio exercises. I found the numbers discouraging though. How could 55 minutes of strength training only be 300 calories for me?

Personally, I went the expensive route with a Polar FT80 HRM. It has strength training tracking of heart rate and it translates to calories. So now I know the training was closer to 600 calories. In the end, I still have to enter the strength training under the cardio section, but now I enter the real calories.