Wrist Straps: Friend or foe?

Options
I am a relatively new lifter. I have been working for the last 3 months through a program for heavy lifting. I feel like I am making good progress, but am running into a problem with my grip strength not keeping pace with the rest of my body.

I am increasing my dead lift weight, and my grip is starting to fail in my 3rd set. My legs and back have plenty of strength to do more, but my hands just aren't up to the challenge yet.

So the question I have for you all is about using wrist straps to increase the weight I can hold. What are your thoughts? Will using straps be helpful? What is the best way to use them and still make progress with increased grip strength?

Any and all feedback is appreciated, especially from any of the kick *kitten* ladies who are out there killing it in the gym every day!

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I see no harm in them depending on your goals. That said, I would suggest building your grip strength with some grip specific training (e.g. Farmers walk, or holding heavy deads at the top for a three count)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Are you using a mixed grip with your deads?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I suggest mixed grip and putting off using straps as long s possible. Using them after lifting for 3 months seems really early
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks! I went and did a little reading on mixed grip. I will try to switch to that when the standard overhand grip starts to fail. Hopefully that will let me complete my reps and help me improve grip strength. Thanks!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. Straps aren't a real problem by themselves, but they will only exacerbate the grip strength issue instead of improving it over time.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yeah mix your grip and lift only according to what your whole body can handle. If the weight is still too heavy for your hands, lift more weight with your hands. Don't worry about increasing your deadlifting weight in that circumstance, drop the weight and build up that grip strength. I hit the same roadblocks before, but just keep lifting as much as you're able. Your hands and forearms will catch up. Effort and patience.
  • katiew78
    katiew78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in, but I was wondering with the mixed grip does it matter if you always have your hands the same way? I always have to have my right hand supinated, as it feels REALLY weird if I try and do that with the left hand? I'm not really lifting heavy (65kg dead lift today-yippee) but my grip fails well before the rest of me if I stick to double overhand
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You'll want to alternate your mixed grip in order to maintain strength balance. If you always do one side, you'll be training your muscles to perform in a lopsided way. I prefer also doing it one way over the other, but training is training. You get used to alternating.
  • katiew78
    katiew78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, I will try very hard to do it the other way round :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree with what most others have said.

I use a regular overhand grip as much as I can, then I switch to a mixed grip. When the weight gets too heavy for mixed grip, I use straps. This is really only the case for my heaviest sets.

Personally, I'm ok with straps in that case. I'm DLing to train my core and posterior chain, not my grip. If/when I care about grip, I'll do stuff specifically for my grip, but to let my grip limit my DL doesn't fly with me.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Theres a great product called FAT GRIPS that really improves your grip strenght. I dont think they are too expensive
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    FOE!
    >:)
    At least me me...
    And I agree with most of what has been said.
    I work with lighter weights for endurance, and I target grip strength as part of my routines.
    Guys with goals requiring heavier lifts can use the support. It's different for each of us depending on our needs and expectations.
    Good Luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I use straps only at the heaviest weights, because pulling 235# on deads will tear the hell outta my hands. Otherwise, I try to avoid them, also because I am working on building my grip strength.