Can someone explain daily calories burned?

Options
I'm confused. I'm sedentary most of the day - I sit from about 5am until 4pm - then I'm moving until about 8, then sitting again.
MFP has me on 1200 calories a day - so, it's assuming this is how many I burn on any given day? I just recently installed an app on my phone that tracks how many steps I take in a day and links to MFP - according to this app - my "goal" is 10,000 steps a day. On a work day, I take about 3.000 steps only.

My questions is - is this 10,000 steps what a "normal" sedentary person takes, and that is what MFP is basing the 1200 calories a day off of? Because I do NOT take that many steps a day - I pretty much don't move at all, and I feel like there's NO WAY I can burn 1200 calories a day doing nothing but sitting on my butt at a desk, drooling, staring at a computer screen.

So if I go for a walk - should I even log that as exercise, because is it already assuming I am doing 10,000 steps and the "walk" is added on top of that?

As you can see I'm having trouble even forming words to ask this question! I guess i just don't feel like there's any way I burn 1200 calories a day sitting... am I even more sedentary than the normal person? 10,000 steps is not alot at all, but I literally don't move all day - should I be eating less (disclaimer is you view my diary, yesterday was a complete fail!!)

Any insight really appreciated - I just don't understand what this app is tracking, because it feels like its saying a normal sedentary person walks 10,000 steps a day, and only anything over that is added calories burned, and if that's the case, I need to stop logging my "walks" because thats still only getting me to about 6000 steps on a good day!

Thank you!

Replies

• SarahNicoleW94
    Options
    I was confused with this too because I have a sit down job but im on 1300 cals a day!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You may have a sit down job but if you're active outside working hours you aren't sedentary. I also am at a desk for 8 hrs some days but even during my work day I clock up 3000 steps (have a Fitbit), I'm very active though and my average steps are 14000/day.
    Mfp sets everyone to 1200.
    10000 steps are what we all should aim for, its good for us.
    Some people find them easy to get in and others have to work to get them in.
    If you go for a walk for 1 hour you will have basically got your 10k steps in :)
    Work out your BMR- there are online calculators,
    then work out your TDEE - thats your total daily expenditure of energy.
    My BMR is 1330 - thats for doing absolutely NOTHING.
    My TDEE however is 2200 - the plan is to eat at 20% less than that and get a loss.
    I currently eat 1600 cals to lose 1/2lb per week. I could probably eat up to 1900 but 1600 gives me room for inaccuracy/error.
    Its about finding your 'perfect' number you can eat at to lose :)

I should say if you set MFP at sedentary then eat back your exercise calories that'll give you more to work with. (only eat around half though as mfp estimates the burn from exercise too high)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay so to start with Calories burned are the total calories your body uses throughout the day which includes life (organ function, digestion etc...things that happen even while in coma), then you have regular movement calories...showering, walking around, sitting etc...then you have exercise calories...

Now for MFP what it does is takes the data you enter...age, height, current weight, activity level and weekly weight loss goal to give you the calories you get to eat to lose the desired weight.

So for example when I joined I entered my stats and it gave me 1380 calories to lose 1lb a week so that is 500 calories a day less than I need to maintain my weight...so I personally needed 1880 calories a day to not lose or gain weight.

The number MFP has nothing to do with what you burn...it's what you eat...

The trick here is to choose a good weight loss rate...

Over 100lbs lose 2lbs a week
    Under 25lbs 1/2lb a week
    50lbs ...1lb a week
    and the rest falls in between...

And to chose the correct activity level...I personally do not believe that people are truely sedentary...I work in an office too but don't sit alllllllllllllllllllllll day long...I am up and about normally half the day in the office and if I sit down at home it's only for about an hour in the evening.

Now as to the OP..that 1200 is what you should be eating a day to lose the desired weight...but keep in mind that is the lowest MFP will give you...and I suspect you put in 2lbs a week to lose...so you could change that to something more reasonable like 1lb.

As for the other app...who knows...

As for exercise anything you do for exercise should be logged and you should eat back 50-75% of those calories....

TL;DR MFP helps you track calories eaten by logging your food. Eat your goal and you will lose weight.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Where can I go to figure my TDEE and BMR?

My day is basically this - Im getting ready from 4:30am to 5am so Im moving - Im in my truck from 5-6, then I sit, I do not get up unless I have to go to the bathroom (about 4 times during the day), from 6-3, I eat lunch at my desk, I do not move, ever (its seriously the most soulk sucking, depressing thing I have ever had to deal with). Then Im in the truck again from 3-4. From 4-7 Im at the barn, Im walking around, totally moving, then from 7-8 Im driving again. From 8-9 Im moving - showering, making dinner, etc - then from 9 on Im watching TV or sleeping...So I feel like I really am sedentary :-(

Ok so i think I might get rid of that app because clearly it's just confusing me. Plus it drains my battery...

Right now I have my goals set to loose 1.2 pounds a week i think? It's definetly not up to 2... and I still find myself binging on junk food so Im not even losing 1 pound a week - but thats my problem. So basically, as far as burning "at rest" calories, in complete general terms if i did NO movement what so ever, like I was a blob and wore a diaper and didnt shower, at rest I am burning about 1200 calories a day?? Im exagerating and generalizing...but Im just going the extreme route to better understand! So ANY exercise, even just a leisurely walk, can be logged and gives me "extra" calories to eat that day if i choose - but as long as I eat under 1200, and get some sort of exercise, Im burning more than I consume, technically speaking?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    there are several good websites, people swear by the scooby workshop - so 'google' that :)
    You are fairly sedentary but you have also some activity.

1/2lb is a good loss to expect per week, slow and steady wins the race.

If you want to post your height/age/weight I can calculate your BMR/TDEE for you.

The junk food mostly has to go, should be reserved for treats, say once a week. Its full of salt which makes you hold onto lots of water weight.

and yes, you're getting the idea but I'm sure you could eat a bit more than 1200, thats what the above calulations would help you with.

The main reason to not lose is inaccurate logging of calories, its a pain til you get used to it but weigh everything so you know for sure the amount of calories you are consuming.

This is a learning curve, but stick at it and you will get there :)

you 'binge' eat on junk food ...cos you feel hungry? or emotional/boredom eating? fill up on protein if its actual hunger, that does the trick :
  • MissMissle
    Options
    It's not hunger - I'm never hungry...it's the 3 gallon fish bowl of jelly beans we have at our house.... it has 15 bags of jelly beans in it to start...now there probbaly half that. I do great with not eating other treats - I've basically eliminated buying "treats" - I live with my boyfriend, who's your typical male - eats a sleeve or oreos nd a half tub of ice cream every night and doesn't gain a pound... but the easter candy...OMG it's calling me...

I don't have a food scale - I know, I know - but - I have no plans on buying one right now. Im just starting so maybe that will change, but not now - when i tell you I whine like a 5 year old every night I have to rinse out my water bottles from the day and clean my tupperwear to make my lunch I'm not kidding - it's like a childish melt down production like Im doing the hardest, most annoying task in the world. I've recently started using measuring cups for everything (something else to wash and whine about) so if I did a scale I might actually have a full on temper tantrum and my boyfriend would probbaly kick me out, if I didn't slap myself out cold first.

I just did a quick google search for BMR/TDEE but Im at work so i dont have my most recent measurment, I have my old measurements which were 12.5 inch neck, 30 inch waist, 42 inch hips, but that has changed. I put in those - along with my age-32, height - 56 inches, and weight, 158 - and got that I should eat about 1600 calories a day which seems crazy.... ?
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Generally the aim via WHO is to hit 10,000 steps for maintaining and losing weight. You can resolve your 3,000 steps with multiple activities during your desk life.
    - There's stairs nearby to the cafeteria and snack bar versus the elevator
    - If you have time to attend a cardio class in the evening time
    - If you happen to have the dough to purchase a DVD workout at home set
    - XBOX Fitness
    - Gyms are only $19.99 a month to have access to a treadmill, elliptical and bicycle or even a stairmaster
    - If you have one of those smartwatches out now that counts steps and elevation, you can link some of those to MFP.
    - Withings Pulse and Withings Scale associate with MFP.

Since phones now have pedometer apps, one other solution I'd recommend is strapping your phone to an armband. There's cases by BOSE/Adidas if you buy the sports headphones and you're wearing gym outfits for walks and runs.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    1600 calories a day is NOT crazy at all.

What I would say is, up your calories by say 150 for a few weeks, so from 1200 to 1350 and eat back half your exercise calories as well (I'm not talking about the steps you take just walking about when I mean exercise calories, go for an actual brisk walk, or do a home workout - loads for free on Youtube - the 30 day shred e.g level 1 is on there, it lasts 27 mins and its a great workout. There are hundreds of workouts available online :-D) Its making small changes that lead to better habits overall which you'll benefit from :)
    Buy a Food Scale - they are cheap, £5 would buy you a basic one. So no excuses there. At least you are using measuring cups, that's a step in the right direction but not as accurate.

The most important thing is to be honest about what you're eating and how much - the only way to do that is weigh everything.
    I'm not the only one that will tell you this.

Give the candy away?? out of sight, out of mind :-D
    Or restrict yourself - no more than 1 handful a day e.g.
    If you can't stop at that then maybe cold turkey Is better?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am going to say MFP does not give everyone 1200 it's all based on what they enter...most enter sedentary with 2lb a week weight loss...

I also know 1.2 is not available...2, 1.5, 1 and 1/2lb is available...

To the OP you are not sedentary...if you live on a farm, regardless of work...you are not sedentary...I know that for a fact.

If you look at my diary you can see I have a serving of chocolate something every night and have been doing that for months..

If you want that "fix" put a serving in a bag/container and carry it with you...or save it for night...that's what I do..like a treat for being on goal..

I currently live with a 20 year old young man (son) and a 32 yo man (husband) so I get the oreo thing...

As to the scale it actually dirties less dishes than using measuring cups...you put your container on it..zero it out and weigh out your food...easy...no more dishes to wash except what you eat out of.

For TDEE/BMR google scooby TDEE calculator or go to IIFYM.com and sort it out..and 1600 isn't crazy...I eat on average 1750 a day since last June and lose on average 3/4lb a week...and I don't live on a farm...I have a desk job but I do lift weights etc.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't have terribly different stats from you. In total, my body burns about 1800 calories on the (sedentary) days I do nothing but drive to work, sit at work, drive home, make dinner, do dishes, walk up the stairs to the bathroom a couple times, and go to bed.

To LOSE weight, if I never exercised, I'd have to eat less than that 1800. But I do exercise. So my total average calories burned throughout my day is closer to 2100. (Some days as low as 1800, some days as high as 2800+) So to lose about 1 lb per week, I should eat about 1600 total calories every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just recently installed an app on my phone that tracks how many steps I take in a day and links to MFP - according to this app - my "goal" is 10,000 steps a day. On a work day, I take about 3.000 steps only.

My questions is - is this 10,000 steps what a "normal" sedentary person takes, and that is what MFP is basing the 1200 calories a day off of?

No. MFP's definition of sedentary is super-duper sedentary, even if the way it explains it focuses on your job only. I have a desk job, but I also walk around a good amount and get my 10,000 steps usually, and so long as I do--since I have my step tracker (Fitbit) linked with MFP--MFP adjusts my goals to reflect that. In other words, if you are getting a decent amount of walking in, you aren't considered sedentary. I thought the amounts extra I was getting were crazy, but when I had a long enough time on MFP I calculated my calories and lost weight, and it was pretty accurate in its estimates.

So you should not worry about not getting enough steps for the calories purposes, although getting more steps is a good way to get a higher calorie goal.
    So if I go for a walk - should I even log that as exercise, because is it already assuming I am doing 10,000 steps and the "walk" is added on top of that?

If you let the step counter adjust your goal, then you wouldn't add the walk. If you don't let it adjust, then you should add the walks so long as you are putting your activity level at sedentary.
    Any insight really appreciated - I just don't understand what this app is tracking, because it feels like its saying a normal sedentary person walks 10,000 steps a day, and only anything over that is added calories burned, and if that's the case, I need to stop logging my "walks" because thats still only getting me to about 6000 steps on a good day!

It's NOT saying that sedentary people walk that much. It's saying that it's good for people to try and walk that much--it's intended to be motivational, on the idea that most healthy people can walk 10,000 steps in their daily life and be less sedentary.

Sounds like you may have decided to do a different method to get your calorie goals anyway, but I wanted to address these.
  • MissMissle
    Options
    Thank you! The explanation of the app was very helpful - I'm just going to get rid of it though - all it's doing is making me realize how little I move!

I don't live on a farm! I wish I did! Yesterday between work (where I literally don't move all day which I gthink is hard for people to believe lol) and going to the barn I only walked about 3000 steps - crazy!

I'm going to stop logging in my "walks" as exercise - really this is just if I happen to get a spare 20 minutes I will go for a walk - but I don't think it counts as "exercise". I also adjusted my carb/fat/protein ratios to what was suggested and I like that better. I am going to up my calories a little, I dropped about 15 pounds of cadbury caramel eggs off at the barn yesterday (and in turn ate 4 for dinner....680 calories - but now they are GONE) and just take it one day at a time. I know I won't exercise at home after 9 pm when I finally get there - and I don't have internet anyway - I just need to figure out how to get some movement in during the day and stop making excuses! The fact of the matter is I have a VERY capable way of getting exersice everyday and I just don't do it because it's freaking hard - and that is I need to pull my stirrups right off my damn saddle!
  • MissMissle
    Options
    I am going to say MFP does not give everyone 1200 it's all based on what they enter...most enter sedentary with 2lb a week weight loss...

I also know 1.2 is not available...2, 1.5, 1 and 1/2lb is available...

Just checked again - it sais 1.2 pounds - should I drop it to 1 pound? I don't remember actually entering what I wanted to lose per week - this is just the number MFP gave me, it's there in big red letters - 1.2 per week (which is definetly NOT happening with my eating habits)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Where can I go to figure my TDEE and BMR?

I like this site:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • amelia325
    amelia325 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i am tied to my desk all day too... i try to walk around my building 3 times a day (takes 7 minutes to do one lap around my building which is 1/3 mile). Also I brought in some 2 pound dumbbells and i do little arm excersizes with them. Just being active in any way/shape/form is going to help, even if it's not walking. Even just standing up at your desk can help and I recommend that because sitting for too long is really bad for you (circulation and spine). There are a lot of simple things you can do to be more active but it is definitely more work when you're tied to a desk all day. But focus on calories you consume and you will lose the weight. That is why I am loving MFP. I'm on a 28 day challenge to get "back into it" - using MFP for 28 days straight
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The 1.2 lb/week shows up when MFP can't get to your higher loss goal without exercise at 1200. For example, it claims my burn (without exercise and at sedentary) is 1790. I said I wanted to lose 1.5/week, which would require a deficit of 750. You can't get there without going under 1200, which it won't do, so it gives me 1200, a deficit of 590, and projects a loss of 1.2/week. Yours is probably similar. So that's how you get 1.2 without it being a choice.

I eat more than 1200 usually and lose more like 2 lb/week (I still have a lot to lose), because of added exercise and the sedentary entry being wrong.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP does NOT set "everyone at 1200" calories. That's the default minimum. Its what everyone gets set to if they tell the program an overly ambitious loss goal. If you're more sensible and realistic...you set your goal lower, get more calories...AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT. I lost all this eating well over 1600, plus exercise calories. This "everyone" gets 1200 just means you aren't working the program to your best advantage, IMHO.
  • MissMissle
    Options
    Thanks guys. Im set at to loose 1.5 calories a day, but since it won't drop below 1200 calories its sating I "should" loose 1.2 pounds a week. I don't think thats rediculous at all, and if i can stop eating candy, 1200 calories a day is really, really plenty, especially since i don't really EVER exersice... buuuuuut I probbaly eat at least 500 over every day in candy lately, hence, I aint losing anything!
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One of the local hospitals near me was able to test my RMR (Resting metabolic rate) and VO2 Max (Heart rate zones for understand lactic acid threshold). It determined based on my RMR that my caloric intake should be 1790 on a day I don't work out. If I did 60 minutes of cardio that burned 510 calories (Per my Heart rate monitor) then I should consume a total of 2300 calories for that day. When I have a low energy day or sedentary day, I keep it very low carb. I use MFP to track cals in and a fitbit force to track total cals out and daily steps... (A bit of a data nerd, but I feel it helps to check my daily #'s)