3 new Fitbit models coming soon with heart rate and GPS capabilities

Options
2»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    well damnit, I was all set and ready to buy a fitbit flex....now do I wait? Assuming these don't have chest straps so they can't be that accurate right? Guess I'll just stick with my HRM and then get the flex?

choices...

No chest strap. It instead will have a optical heart sensor.
    image_thumb45.png
    Sounds like it's similar to the technology that Mio uses.

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    rawr.... i wish they would release them sooner... the charge HR sounds pretty nifty...
  • TweedAddict
    TweedAddict Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Rubbish just brought the flex! However that is only a temp measure until the iwatch comes out. Will have to wait too see the reviews
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd be so swift to pre-order the Charge HR.

Clearly when this project started the goal would have been to launch all these products around now in order to benefit from the holiday season sales.

Since the Charge HR only really differs in the addition of an HRM, which is based on existing technology, it is a wee bit suspicious that the product is not ready to go.

I'm wondering if the form factor of the HR model is causing problems? Generally the optical HRM's that work well are quite wide, providing an 'overhang' that prevents incident light from reaching the sensors and causing false readings. Look at the MIO, it's as wide as a sweatband. The Charge HR is nice and narrow but could that be problematic?

The Surge model looks quite interesting though.
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I jumped at the chance to get the Force when it first came out. Got the rash/burn that lasted months on my wrist like thousands of other people. Never again will I be so quick to purchase a new product. Nor will I ever buy another Fitbit product because of that whole situation. Good luck to you all, hopefully you don't have any weird reactions to this new product.

I was forunate enough to not get a rash from the Force so I am hoping I will be good with the Charge.
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is such a great company! I can't wait to put a Charge HR or a Surge on my wrist!!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The Charge is the Force, try two ... with the year between devices, they've lost market share and allowed quality competition to make inroads. The HR models are interesting, but how well the optical HR sensors work in reality remains to be seen. The Surge is an attempt to compete with devices like the Garmin Forerunner 15 ... GPS, all day activity monitor, HR capable. The release date is also troublesome. They come out after the holiday season .. maybe into the beginning of spring training season .... and that is the time when the electronics shows highlight all of the next generation toys.

The slide from the days when fitbit was THE activity tracker to them serving as just another tracker continues.
  • kCalCrusher
    kCalCrusher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I heard Microsoft is releasing one anytime as well. It supposed to work across all platforms, including iPhone and Android. It's rumored to have a built in heart rate monitor that doesn't require a strap =)