Abs are made in the kitchen?

Options
Hello there! okay so im keep on hearing the phrase "abs are made in the kitchen" and im a little confused. Does that means i have to eat healthy to get abs or will my abs to start show as long as im in a caloric deflict lossing weight no matter what i eat? My diet now consist of beans, brown rice, chicken breast, and ect. but for a snack ill eat cookies or a bag of chips without going over any of my micros or calorie goal. Also i have weekly cheat meals. I just wanted to know do i have to eat clean for my abs muscles to grow? Will certain foods slow my ab gains down? id say i eat clean 70%-80% of the day and 20%-30% is junk.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Abs showing is all about bf% and genetics. You have to lose enough fat and have the genetics for the visible abs...

Some people never get the 6/8 pack...only ever get the obliques showing...

But yes if you have the genetics and are in a deficit and losing fat your abs will eventually show..based on deficit...

For abs to grow you need to work the muscle and eat enough protien to repair the muscle...but that doesn't mean they will "show"
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yes, you make them in the kitchen but,
    define them with exercise; specifically heavy weights.

Luck!
  • fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking it. In the most basic sense it means "control your diet, fatty!"

To different people it means different things. Any smart person who has done their research (so, basically everyone on MFP) will know how important counting calories is for weight loss so to them this phrase means "count calories and you'll eventually see your results". To those gaining muscle it'll mean "increase your calories". I'm attempting low carb so to me it means "reduce your calories and carbs, increase your protein & fat".

Exactly what you eat doesn't matter as long as you restrict your caloric intake. Some people
    (such as myself) find they feel better and get better results if they eat certain foods or cut out certain food groups. It's all about personal choice as long as you're restricting calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    shonako wrote: »
    Hello there! okay so im keep on hearing the phrase "abs are made in the kitchen" and im a little confused. Does that means i have to eat healthy to get abs or will my abs to start show as long as im in a caloric deflict lossing weight no matter what i eat?
    It doesn't matter what you eat. We all have abs just like we all have ribs. They show when your body fat percent is so low that there is not a blanket of fat over them.

Many women would have to have unhealthily low levels of body fat to show ab definition. Or would not be able to ever because of genetics, which was mentioned above.