20 year old mother who is 50* pounds overweight

Options
Hello. My name is Danielle. I am a 20 year old mother who is currently overweight, and struggling really hard with this. I am 5'4" and weigh 170 pounds. Embarrassing. I would really love to kick this weight off. For me and my family. I've always battled with my weight considering junk food and sodas are my weakness. But I know now that something's gotta change or my weight never will. Please feel free to add me, give me advice/tips, and share your story. It'd make me feel better to know that I'm not alone.

Replies

• dcnemesis
    dcnemesis Posts: 31
    Options
    First of all my name is Danielle and I just posted for the first time today too! :) Had to start with that.

I have to say, I commend you for being a mother and sounding so focused at your age. I can't even fathom the dedication it takes just yet and don't ever be embarassed, your body brought a baby into this world!!!! I think if you can raise a little one, you can definitely do this.

I am similar with soda and junk. Is it regular soda? If you can transition to diet (start with mixing maybe?) you will for sure lose weight over time. Since your a busy mom, I would stick to cutting liquid calories first and then portion sizes. Best of luck!
  • ARay1219
    ARay1219 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much, Danielle. That really means a lot to hear someone say that to me. My confidence is so far off with my weight issues. I've always struggled with my weight, but I have never been this big before. So it's much harder for me now.

I do drink regular soda. Dr. Pepper is my drink of choice, but I will literally drink anything. I cannot stand the taste of water, so it's VERY rare that I will ever drink it. I'm going to give the whole diet thing a try, but I'd like to somehow try and kick sodas in general. It'd help me lose weight faster than diet would. Thank you so much.
  • abithbat
    abithbat Posts: 14
    Options
    I know how you feel about sodas and junk food. My two favorite things in the world are Pizza and Dr. Pepper. I've had a REALLY hard time cutting out sodas, but I take pride in the fact that I used to drink 4-6 cans (sometimes more) of soda a day, and I have now limited it to one soda per day, if that. Eventually I would like to completely kick soda to the curb, but it just takes baby steps. As far as diet sodas go, I don't drink them. If I am going to drink a soda, it will be full flavored, no artificial sweeteners, etc. Oh... forgot to mention I hate water too. It's just so plain, but it just takes getting used to, and retraining your brain.

I know the boat you are in; I struggle every single day. But ultimately, I look at it like this: The decisions I make today will effect how I feel in the future.

Feel free to add me if you would like to. I'll help you any way I can. :)
  • kari_brianna
    kari_brianna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I would love to help you out. You can always find a healthy alternative to anything especially pop. I would start of drinking diet and add crystal light or sugar free powders to your water to you can start to enjoy it