Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

fitness wristbands/watches

I am going to buy a wristband/watch but not sure what one to get. I want something that takes heart rate into account and not just steps since that is the more accurate measurement. (I have read some places that some are very inaccurate(in regards to HR). Not sure if any actually calculate the calories burn if not i know how to do it the old fashioned way so not too big of deal. I also would prefer a wristband, since i find watches bulky and in the way and i intend to wear it all day long. One I have looked at is Polar FT1 HR Monitor Watch other than that I have not found much I feel are worth the $50-100

Replies

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    I think the polar ones are great. I've had 2. The first one was an all singing all dancing affair, it did calories, hr, and a whole programme for weight loss. The one I have now is just standard but does hr and calories burned and distance and time. It comes with the chest strap. I guess it depends what you want it for. Is it just for working out? If so polar is the way to go but otherwise there are heaps of other things like fitbit ( got that too but it just does steps) or jawbone up etc.
  • I picked up a Polar FT4 3 weeks ago. The HRM appears to fairly accurate and the cardio equipment at the gym works with it. It also records calories burned, no way to determine how accurate it is. Another feature I like is that it stores 7 sessions of work out history- length of the workout in minutes, average heart rate, highest heart rate, heart rate in the "zone", and calories burned. It also comes with a chest strap for the HRM which does the job and is unobtrusive under a shirt. The watch is light and not to big(it's unisex) and easy to operate. For the price (approx $60) it does the job, so far no complaints.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Edie30 wrote: »
    I think the polar ones are great. I've had 2. The first one was an all singing all dancing affair, it did calories, hr, and a whole programme for weight loss. The one I have now is just standard but does hr and calories burned and distance and time. It comes with the chest strap. I guess it depends what you want it for. Is it just for working out? If so polar is the way to go but otherwise there are heaps of other things like fitbit ( got that too but it just does steps) or jawbone up etc.

I would like to wear it around, at least at first, to get a more accurate count of what i burn thru a week. But once ive got that figured, I would just use it while on the treadmill, lifting, pilates, or my HIIT cardio course(pain in the @$$ to calculate just doing it as circuit training for now). Right now I do 130-190minutes of exercise on Tues/Thurs alone as opposed to just 60-90 Mon/Fri/Sat and feel because of that my calorie balance is way off(most likely too low)

As for chest straps, I have a very broad chest and standard ones never fit so do they come as a wrist option?

• Edie30
    No they only come as chest straps but they go pretty big and are elasticated too. There might be some specs on the polar site to what they fit. When I had my first one I was around 110 kgs and it fitted me so I reckon would be ok, there was room to spare! I don't bother using it for weights sessions as it would annoy me and beep tho you can turn the sounds off, so I just use it for cardio.
  • Edie30
    And yep you probaly want to up your calories. So having an accurate heart rate monitor would be the bomb for you. For what I've read the most accurate are the ones with a chest strap
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Edie30 wrote: »
    No they only come as chest straps but they go pretty big and are elasticated too. There might be some specs on the polar site to what they fit. When I had my first one I was around 110 kgs and it fitted me so I reckon would be ok, there was room to spare! I don't bother using it for weights sessions as it would annoy me and beep tho you can turn the sounds off, so I just use it for cardio.

I am now up to around 132-134kg. I have gained around 3 kg in the last month and a half. Think it is mostly muscle since I was laid up so long. Doing a bod pod test friday to be sure. My chest is around 42 inches/107cm last i measured.

Why would it beep when you lift?
  • Edie30
    Oh I think it's when you go out of your target heart rate zone. But it can be switched off. I reckon those chest straps will fit you