Tips to not gain weight during christmas & cardio for summer

Options
Dan18765
Dan18765 Posts: 14 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Would it be bad to like have some cookies or something and just skip lunch so I don't eat too many calories? I don't want to miss out on eating the yummy Christmas food lol. I don't care if I just maintain my weight during Christmas, I just don't want to gain weight lol. :p

And also it's summer where I am and does anyone have good tips for exercise during summer? I usually go walking and a bit of jogging with my mom. I'm quite new to this so I'm not fit enough to just run not stop but I'm definitely improving. But it's so humid here even when we go in the evening. What's some good cardio for the summer?

Thanks, and please don't be rude. If you have nothing nice to say then just don't thanks.

Replies

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    advice number 1: dont' tell people not to be rude... you usually encourage them

My advice would be just to eat whatever you want and do it in smaller amounts. ;) This is what I do all the time. I've learned that life is way too short to obsess over if you have that cookie or not so I'll have a cookie and completely enjoy it. Difference is I have 1 cookie, not 1 package. lol Like tonight for example, I had mashed potatoes with milk and butter in them, but I added in carrots so they have lots of vitamins and minerals in them. I also had some chicken and brown rice. I ate everything my hubby had but just a smaller portion. I also do all the cooking so it's not uncommon for me to calculate calories THEN eat accordingly, not the other way around.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Some people only eat one meal a day and have all their calories in that one meal. I been skipping breakfast as never cared for it and means I can have bigger lunch and dinner.
  • Dan18765
    Dan18765 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    advice number 1: dont' tell people not to be rude... you usually encourage them

My advice would be just to eat whatever you want and do it in smaller amounts. ;) This is what I do all the time. I've learned that life is way too short to obsess over if you have that cookie or not so I'll have a cookie and completely enjoy it. Difference is I have 1 cookie, not 1 package.

Thanks so much this is good advice! :smiley:
  • DaniiMarie13
    DaniiMarie13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can look up cardio videos on Youtube that you can do inside your home (air con, yay).

But don't be scared to do cardio outside e.g. walking in the summer. I do it every day whether it's rain or 40°C and the only thing I've suffered is some bad tan lines. Since it is getting hotter here though I find it more pleasant in the evening.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Dan18765 wrote: »
    Would it be bad to like have some cookies or something and just skip lunch so I don't eat too many calories? I don't want to miss out on eating the yummy Christmas food lol. I don't care if I just maintain my weight during Christmas, I just don't want to gain weight lol. :p

And also it's summer where I am and does anyone have good tips for exercise during summer? I usually go walking and a bit of jogging with my mom. I'm quite new to this so I'm not fit enough to just run not stop but I'm definitely improving. But it's so humid here even when we go in the evening. What's some good cardio for the summer?

Thanks, and please don't be rude. If you have nothing nice to say then just don't thanks.

I have quite an appetite unfortunately and will usually do both lunch AND the cookie, but sometimes, yes, I'll have my single serve icecream plus a pack of cashew nuts in place of a meal so my calorie goal for the day is not completely shot. I've done this maybe five times max. I just try to hang in there in that case and wait for my next real meal, but usually the snacks are fairly satisfying when I do this

Exercise - anything you've ever wanted to try, YouTube videos, etc. Personally I like fitness classes and yes, running outside in the summer. Here's a post I read to help me get started on running:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

Also walking is great exercise. If you're walking, you're doing something. A lot of people walk as their chosen form of exercise and stick with it long term, not necessarily as a starting point that MUST graduate to running
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Have a low cal day before xmas and the day after. Continue on with your life as normal.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @Dan18765 wrote: »

Log your food. You don't need to have 3 meals a day. If you know you're gonna have a huge lunch, just save your calories for that one meal. And adjust your calorie goal for maintenance level during that time.

Swimming is nice in the summer, keeps you cool.