Weighing food

Options
BRA_S
BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
What do you find the most convenient way to log in weighed fruits is? Like a banana. Weigh, eat, then weigh peel and subtract, or chop it into a bowl and weigh? also any good vids on weighing and logging. Just want to be as close to accurate as I can.

Also If I'm using a brand of fruit would it be more accurate to go with that or stick to USDA

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Peel and weigh. Since you aren't eating that portion and it's easier to dispose of than, say, a peach pit, it's easiest that way.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I weigh it whole and then reweigh what I didn't eat. If I do this I usually log the whole weight first. e.g. if I am packing lunch I will weigh some oranges and maybe don't have time to peel them, so I just weigh them all as-is and aim for a higher calorie intake overall to make up for the reduction in calories factoring out the peel would cause. And then when I get home I'd weigh the peel and subtract that from my logged entry.

Or the last few nights I've had pomegranates, I don't eat the seed, so I weigh the entire thing and log, then weigh the seeds I spit out and edit the log.

Otherwise I just weigh what I'll eat in a bowl/plate.

weighing is pretty self-explanatory though. Use grams when possible (more accurate), use USDA type entries (cross-check first, to be most accurate). Make sure you tare the scale out as needed, etc.
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually peel the banana, then put it on a plate to weigh it. From there you can chop it or however else you'd like to eat it.

One useful tip for people who weigh what they eat is to weigh all your commonly used kitchen utensils and make a list/chart of them. I weighed them all in grams and made a chart--my cutting board, plates, frying pans, mixing bowls, etc. That way if you ever forget to weigh something you can just weigh it including the pan/bowl/etc and subtract it to find out the weight of the food.

This is especially useful when I do soups for example. I weigh each ingredient I put into it so I know the calories in the entire pot. Then I weigh the whole pot of soup afterwards (I use a corkboard or potholder to avoid the heat damaging my scale) and subtract the weight of the pan to get the weight of the soup only. Divide it by how many servings you think it'll be then you have the weight of each serving and therefore the exact calories of the recipe.

That probably sounds complicated...but once you get the hang of it, it's really easy.

I usually track fruits and veggies by finding an entry in grams. Most fruits and veggies have entries that list their nutrition in 100g servings, many of those are marked USDA. So if you eat an 85g banana, that would be 0.85 of a 100g serving (85 divided by 100).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Sometimes I weigh it whole and then reweigh what I didn't eat. If I do this I usually log the whole weight first. e.g. if I am packing lunch I will weigh some oranges and maybe don't have time to peel them, so I just weigh them all as-is and aim for a higher calorie intake overall to make up for the reduction in calories factoring out the peel would cause. And then when I get home I'd weigh the peel and subtract that from my logged entry.

Or the last few nights I've had pomegranates, I don't eat the seed, so I weigh the entire thing and log, then weigh the seeds I spit out and edit the log.

Otherwise I just weigh what I'll eat in a bowl/plate.

weighing is pretty self-explanatory though. Use grams when possible (more accurate), use USDA type entries (cross-check first, to be most accurate). Make sure you tare the scale out as needed, etc.

Sorry, don't mean to derail, but I thought the whole point of pomegranates was to eat the seeds. Why do you spit them out? And if you do spit them out, what part are you actually eating? Surely not the pith between the seeds? That stuff is gross!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My son sucks out the 'juicy' pink or red bit around the seed and then spits out the actual little seed. Glad to know he's not the only one!