Any other Type 2 Diabetics?

Options
Hey guys! I'm a type 2 diabetic but maintaining with diet and excercise (so far)....anyone else doing this? It's a daily struggle and I guess I'm looking for some others in the same situation that can be a support. Look forward to hearing from others!

Replies

• mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Same here. My doctor changed my meds monday!
  • glemunyan
    glemunyan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    New to myfitnesspal but have been diagnosed type 2 since 1996. D&E is the primary thing I have been doing also. Mainly what I look to do is keep my blood sugar from spiking and am forever trying to get my % of body fat down since this seems to be a big factor in keeping blood sugar down and the favorite A1C.
  • downtosting
    Options
    I recently found out I am insulin resistant (pre-diabetes) and have thyroid problems. I'm on medication now to help with the thyroid problems and am hoping that it will allow me to lose enough weight that I don't scoot over into being diabetic. I have a good 100+ pounds to lose total but I always feel its a struggle. I found some clothing inspiration that I look at every other day or so to remind me of my goal. My plan is to print it and put it on the bathroom mirror - along with images of myself when I was much healthier and other items of inspiration like my daughter. I kind of did the same thing prior to my wedding and I dropped almost 50 pounds.

With the diabetes, you don't just have to watch one thing, it's watching everything. It's eating the right balance of carbs/protein so it's a constant struggle.
  • ccrams2
    ccrams2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you eat a day? It seems MFP lets me go pretty high...but there isn't a diabetic "plan" so do you just change it to meet your needs?
  • sethra
    sethra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am type two diabetic and since I've started dieting/exercising I've been able to cut my Victoza from 1.8 to .6 and my 1000mg Metformin two times a day to only one time a day. My ultimate goal is to be able to get completely off of meds and just keep it under control with diet and exercise. I've been diabetic since I was 12 and I'm 29 now so who knows if my goals are realistic but we will see.
  • ccrams2
    Options
    That's great Sethra! Looks like you're definitely on the right (and fast) track. Very inspirational!
  • Superdupermom
    Options
    Hey guys! I'm a type 2 diabetic but maintaining with diet and excercise (so far)....anyone else doing this? It's a daily struggle and I guess I'm looking for some others in the same situation that can be a support. Look forward to hearing from others!
    my husband is type 2 diabetic who has lost alot of weight and is on metformin pill but trying to get off it and joined this site recently...he is on my friends list...(snackaddict) he would love some friends and support! he is at work right now but I know if he had saw your post he would have responded so please add him! you can add me too if ya would like the extra support! you can do it! I have bi-polar so the meds make it hard to have motivation and "energy" to do things but hun we can do it! it takes time and support but yes we can!
  • ccrams2
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I'll add both of you! You're right. We definitely can do it!
  • blackrat150
    Options
    HI guys,

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on 21st January 2011. I was advised to lose weight and so I joined MyFitnessPal.
    I have drastically changed my diet.

I have lost 57 pounds in 14 weeks and would like to lose another 28 pounds to get down to my ideal weight.

I have just started running every day and am training hard to run a marathon next year (which is something that I've always wanted to do but was always too heavy and too unfit)!
    After one week I can run two miles effortlessly and recover in a matter of minutes. If I compare this to the beginning of the week it is an amazing difference as I only lasted a couple of minutes and had to walk!!

Am taking Metformin for my T2 and my blood sugars are considerable lower since losing the weight and starting the exercise!

T2 Diabetes is not a barrier to losing weight or getting fit. OK it's hard; but it's hard for everyone who is overweight to lose weight and get fit. The thing is to just think to yourself, grow some and get on with it!!

Hopefully you will find this informative and helpful. Should anyone want to know more about how I've done it, just ask.

Good Luck

Brian