Sodium Intake

Options
As of late, I have been talking to my trainer/aerobics instructor and she seems to think I am ingesting too much sodium and as a result retaining too much water, therein not allowing me to lose weight as I would like. What are some options to consider when reducing sodium intake? Is anyone else facing this issue?

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Reduce processed and fast food intake.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I added the sodium tab to keep track in my food journal and I watch mine. I can totally tell when I go over - usually it is like a 2 day delayed reaction, and then my ankles get all swollen and become cankles. You would not believe how much hidden salt is in all kinds of foods!!!!! Take a look at my journal if you want, and add the option to keep track of sodium in yours too, if you haven't already.

If you do go over, extra water will help flush it out. 1 liter per 500mg that you go over as soon as you noticed you went over should suffice to fluish it out of your body so you don't hold on to it. Good luck!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I think something like 70% of sodium in the typical American diet comes from processed, pre-packaged foods and eating out (pretty sure that's the statistic... can't remember where I heard it... government?). There is one simple, powerful thing you can do to reduce sodium in your diet: cook. It's that simple. Can't cook? Buy a crock pot. There's tons of recipes online that can be adapted for lower sodium just by using low sodium or sodium free ingredients. Bottom line is eat real, whole foods and prepare them yourself.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sodium is my problem area. I'm not adding it to anything. But I am always around 2500 because it seems to be an added ingredient in everything that isn't a fruit or vegetable. I need to find some no salt added items!
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think watching your sodium is so tricky! Some things are no brainers...lunch meats, hot dogs, fast food, cheeses all have a lot. But other stuff that I would never suspect (yesterday I had wheat chex for breakfast and it a bunch, WTH!) are culprits too. :mad: The only real way to know is to track it or read all your labels before you eat it.
  • ShawnaPE
    ShawnaPE Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't eat fast food and I am trying to reduce my processed foods. It's hard for someone like me who has a very active life. I am on the go a lot so frozen food is what I often go to. I do cook so that seems to be of benefit. Also in doing research, I read that anything over 140mg of sodium per serving is high. I reduced my sodium to 1500 mg per day but even the healthy stuff has vasts amount of sodium. I will be more conscious about drinking water to flush out the excess sodium. Thanks again for your responses.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. That's been what I've been focusing on and have done pretty well!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ElaineKatko?date=2011-04-28
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't eat fast food and I am trying to reduce my processed foods. It's hard for someone like me who has a very active life. I am on the go a lot so frozen food is what I often go to. I do cook so that seems to be of benefit. Also in doing research, I read that anything over 140mg of sodium per serving is high. I reduced my sodium to 1500 mg per day but even the healthy stuff has vasts amount of sodium. I will be more conscious about drinking water to flush out the excess sodium. Thanks again for your responses.

A crock pot fits well into a busy lifestyle. Make large batches of stuff and freeze it in individual containers. Voila! Your own frozen meals.
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I just this second added the sodium tracker tomy food diary and HOLY SMOKES! I had no idea how bad some food items were! Maybe I should have known, but sodium just wasn't on my radar. But soy sauce and pickes and all fast food are horrific! I seem to do fine at home, but when we eat out, YIKES, it sky rockets!

How important is reduced sodium in facilitating weight loss? I know it's just plain smart and good for your health to reduce it, but is it really helpful in dropping pounds too?

Katie
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    A low sodium diet cannot cause you to lose fat, but it can help reduce water retention.

I've been searching all over the place for a link between weight gain (other than water retention) and a high sodium diet. Still haven't found anything. Still, doesn't hurt to keep sodium levels within reason.

I'm not a big fan of going ultra-low on sodium intake, however. The jury's still out on whether or not that's a good idea. (If you have high blood pressure or a medical condition, then yes, low sodium is good.) However, people who work out for long periods of time, sweat a lot, and drink a lot of water should be okay consuming the recommended daily intake of sodium. There are things that cause the body to lose sodium, and the body needs sodium to survive.

Of course, hard to live and eat in the U.S. without having an abundance of sodium everywhere. :)