running- feet going numb

Options
I'm 90% sure that I'm running properly, but my feet keep going numb about a mile into my runs. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried? This is a fairly new phenomenon for me (the last 2 weeks or so). Once my runs are over, my feet are back to normal and there doesn't seem to be any pain associated with or connected to the numbness.
Thanks!

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how your shoes and socks fit. This is not normal.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    how old are the shoes? not years/months.. how many miles on them?

Might be worth talking to your dr or physio therapist about, could be something simple like a pinched nerve.... i had part of my leg doing the same when standing, but not running, few simple exercises and so far so good.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    First, try a new shoe lacing pattern. For minor fit problems, that can help. There are tons of running lacing patterns. Look around the interweb and see if any of them help. If you're running in older shoes (most shoes have a lifespan of 1 year of casual to moderate training), get new shoes. No amount of lacing will help old shoes.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've never had that happen, but I have had weird random muscle pain or knee pain suddenly appear every time I run.... And a new pair of shoes always makes it go away. As shoes wear they sometimes break down in ways that can make your foot pronate differently, aggravating certain things. I'd start there with new shoes and a proper shoe fitting if you've not done that before. Just make sure you have the right kind and that they are still fresh enough to do the job.

If that doesn't fix it you might want to see a doctor.
  • sfranklin2012
    Options
    Mine do that too! I loosened my laces and it has helped tremendously.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I get that too, but only in my left foot on the elliptical. My feet are always fine on the treadmill (I wear different shoes though). Both pairs are new'ish. I'll try a different lace pattern on my elliptical shoes.
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Don't run.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have it at times. Sometimes it's when I run a long distance I haven't properly prepared for. Sometimes it's nerve compression.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    My 2nd and 3rd toes sometimes go numb.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Quit tying your shoes so tightly
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had this! Turns out my shoes weren't the proper fit. My local running store told me that running shoes should fit snugly in the heal and allow for plenty of room every else. They said that feet swell when you run (especially outside), so you need to have a roomier toe box. I never had a pair of sneakers that actually fit right until the running store fit me out. Now, when I try to wear older pairs of shoes I still have I'm amazed at how *kitten* they feel.
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How much do u run? When I was in the Army we ran 2 miles every other day. My toes went numb and stayed that way unless I didnt run for days. I had proper shoes issued to me based on where I put my weight when standing. I went to doctor and he said its normal and that unless I get pain or discoloration to not worry
  • MovingMellybug
    Options
    The best piece of advice I've ever been given (and heeded) was to go to a store specifically for running and have a fitting for proper shoes. At first I didn't buy the shoes because they were a little more pricey, and my poor feet suffered for it. I finally bit the bullet and bought a reasonably priced ($99) pair of specific running shoes. I've done 9 races this year and a triathlon, and the only time my feet ever go numb is when I lace them too tight.
    Good shoes always make a huge difference...

Best of luck.
  • CaptainJAG_37
    Options
    Quit tying your shoes so tightly

This. Once I figured this out, it solved all my problems.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion, besides the good ones already given: I know when I'm getting a corn on my toe because I start to go numb around my baby toe.

And yes, I get corns because I can't afford a new pair of shoes right now. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Try alternate lacing. Here are some good suggestions:
    http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Shoes with a bigger toe box and lighter weight socks help me with this.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out a good sports or running store and make sure your shoes are fitting right. I'm 90% sure they aren't. You need some light socks and good-fitting shoes. They should be tight along the laces, with room to wiggle your toes. I'd bet money that your shoes are tight around the toes. This is a no-no.

Source: have been running ~50 miles/week since 2008.
  • WonkaCat
    Options
    HaiLDodger wrote: »
    I get that too, but only in my left foot on the elliptical. My feet are always fine on the treadmill (I wear different shoes though). Both pairs are new'ish. I'll try a different lace pattern on my elliptical shoes.

The same thing happens to me on the elliptical except in my right foot. I usually just do a few ankle circles and it goes away for a while, but comes back.

• Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem all the time. First try loosening your lace, or change the lacing technique--#5 in the pic above is what is recommended. After all of that, I still had trouble. I went to my local running store & they recommended Asics Nimbus for the gel cushioning. (FYI, Asics run small, so error on the side of longer & wider.) I still had trouble with the Asics shoes, so my Runner's Forum store recommend trying Hoka Cliftons. I LOVE the Hoka shoes--very padded (think running on a pillow) & no more numb or sore feet!!! FYI, if you go to a running store to get fitted, they should offer you a 1 month return policy, so if the shoes don't work, you can return them.