Protein powders?

Options
jvs125
jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
I have now been logging my food intake and exercise for 3 whole weeks!

My goal is to lose .5lb per week and hopefully lose my last 5 pounds. I am 5'5", 130lbs and want to get to 125lbs which was my pre-baby weight. I was at 134lbs 3 weeks ago so logging seems to help me.

In the first few days, I had a hard time staying under my calorie goal, but now I am consistently within 100 calories.

I find I have a hard time reaching my protein goals. Like, I get maybe 80 grams per day when I should be getting 120 grams. My fat intake is already high, so I need to add protein without adding too much fat because I don't have calories left to do that. I also find that I am already eating lots of meat and eggs so I'm not sure how much more I can really take - it's soooo filling I feel like my stomach will explode!

So I'm leaning towards maybe using protein powders? I tasted it twice in the last 2 weeks (my husband had some left in the pantry) and it's not so bad. It's a concentrated protein source without carbs, which is appealing. But I'm worried it may not be so good for my health? I am one to make everything from scratch and use only real foods... So to go for a synthetic source irks me a bit.

Has anyone done any research on protein powders and can lead me to good reads on it, so see if they're good or bad for me? Also, any other ideas for protein sources? I must say I am gluten and lactose intolerant, so there are limitations here...

Thanks!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It's just concentrated protein from dairy as far as whey goes....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This might help you out. Pretty basic write up but there's some great links at the bottom.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Actually... you only need 104-105G of protein.

Try to incorporate pinto beans & protein bars. Try eating egg whites.

Or you can use powder, whichever you prefer. I just find that whole food keeps me fuller, longer.

Protein powder is safe. However, I believe some are loaded with ... CRAP fillers... like the Wal-Mart brands. I would stick with a brand like Cellucor, Dymatize, Gold Standard, Myofusion. Powders are just a means to hit your protein daily intake.... nothing more, nothing less. Half the crap you read about them adding 34234432lbs. of muscle on in a week is spewed garbage to get you to take more, so you buy more.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard and tend to favor the chocolate flavor. Goes well with cold-brewed coffee or mixed with peanut butter (rolled into balls and eaten as a treat)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    source your protein (whey protein) from New Zealand where the herd is free of pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics... IF you don't want to go the whey protein route.. try no fat plain Greek yogurt.. which I think is pretty much just a couple steps away from becoming whey protein powder anyway... I don't mind protein supplements.. like whey protein and whey isolates...they help with recovery... and definitely allow you to meet your protein goals without needing to add a 20 lb turkey to your diet once a week :p
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As of now, I'm mixing my 1 scoop of protein powder with a serving (1/3 C) of fat free dry skim milk. It helps give it a more frothy fuller taste without adding a ton of calories (80 calories) not to mention is adds an additional 8 grams of protein with almost no fat. It also makes it a more filling midday snack for me. The full nutritional info is on my diary, so feel free to friend me if you want to take a look.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can easily up your protein by substituting some of your go to foods with those that are higher in protein. I typically get at least 120g of protein a day. I focus on lean proteins (a lot of chicken and venison lately) for my lunch and dinner meals, and I have high protein snacks like cottage cheese or non-fat greek yogurt. I choose to have a protein shake for breakfast, but I can get up to 180g of protein some days, so it's not like I always rely on the shake to hit protein goals.

One thing is that some people will eat an ounce of lunch meat on a sandwich and then wonder why they don't hit their protein goals. I try to eat at least 4oz of a lean protein at a time as a serving (this is where the focus on lean comes in).
  • Tacita88
    Tacita88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I find I have a hard time reaching my protein goals. Like, I get maybe 80 grams per day when I should be getting 120 grams. My fat intake is already high, so I need to add protein without adding too much fat

I'm in the same boat. I have used protein shakes in the past but I find a lot of them don't agree with me, they make me feel a bit sick or they just taste awful. I would agree with Ravenlibra on the greek yoghurt, or the other alternative it to buy an unflavoured protein powder and add it to other foods you eat. But whey protein shakes are definitely worth a go!
  • CGPrincessWarrior
    CGPrincessWarrior Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try Unjury! It's the best protein powder out there with zero fat, carbs, or sugar. It's just a protein isolate and it's amazing!!! www.unjury.com. I use the unflavored one so I can add all of my flavors too it without adding unnecessary sugars!
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I prefer the Syntrax Nectar brand of protein powders. I'm a physician & it is the brand most recommended physicians & dietitians. I like the Chocolate Truffle & Caribbean Cooler (pineapple coconut) flavors. The chocolate one I mix 1-1/2 scoops in 8 oz. milk + 2 cups water, then add 1/2 serving of Carnation Chocolate Malt powder (44 grams protein & 295 calories). It is delicious!!! The Caribbean Cooler, I add 1-1/2 scoops to 3 cups water plus a little of the Dasani water enhancer in the pineapple coconut flavor (35 grams protein & 150 calories). You can find the Nectar powders at The Vitamin Shoppe or order them online. If you have a hospital with a bariatric center, you may also be able to find them there.
  • jvs125
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

Some of you are right, greek yogurt would go a long way, and I really love the stuff, but I am lactose intolerant and it doesn't agree with me. I can't find a lactose free greek yogurt in my grocery store, let alone an organic one..
  • jvs125
    Options
    Butrovich wrote: »
    I use Gold Standard and tend to favor the chocolate flavor. Goes well with cold-brewed coffee or mixed with peanut butter (rolled into balls and eaten as a treat)

Yes I would need 105g of protein if I didn't workout. But with my workouts, MFP adjusts my calorie goal and macros accordingly, bringing me to 120g of protein

• cierrashadows
    Options
    I use FitMiss protein powders and love them. Especially if you're trying to lose weight it is only 90 calories per scoop! Don't know if it is lactose free though...
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, and to compensate when I need extra protein I use Garden of Life raw protein powder in the chocolate version. There are a few other flavors, but I've only tried the chocolate. It doesn't taste bad, and has 17g of protein for 90 cals, so it works quite well when you're budgeting your calories!
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love Vega protein, the have pre workout and post workout shakes, they taste great. They are vegan but very high in protein and fiber and low in fat.