Sciatica nerve

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how they were able to get rid of pain caused by their sciatica nerve besides ice and heat and stretching?

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I had sciatica issues and I used to go to a chiropractor which helped for a short time, but I always had to return to feel better.

Once I started doing Pilates on my Reformer several times a week it not only made me feel better, but I was able to stop my chiropractor visits. It has been about 6 years since I've needed to see her!

Last week I fell on my tailbone and I was so nervous I might have re-injured my sciatica, but I'm completely fine and I believe it's due to doing Pilates and staying active daily.

Good luck!

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There are a few yoga positions and stretches that stretch the piriformis muscle. A portion of the population have their sciatic nerve running through this muscle and they are the most prone to sciatica. Look it up and you'll find the stretches on YouTube and such. I have sciatica from time to time. Besides heat and ibuprofen, these are the only thing that really help.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had great relief with using a lacrosse ball to do myofascial release, combined with a TENS unit at other times to relax the muscles. It was the only thing that helped, and I had tried everything. I downloaded an e-book on Amazon to tell the exercises, and picked up a lacrosse ball at the sports store, and it started helping a ton within a few days. Hope you start feeling better soon, sciatica is the worst!!
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Ice and heat and stretching cover the bases until you start talking about serious medical intervention such as nerve blockers. Stretch your iliopsoas muscles, work on stretching your hip flexors, and strengthen your back and core. I get it when I don't stretch enough.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    There are a few yoga positions and stretches that stretch the piriformis muscle. A portion of the population have their sciatic nerve running through this muscle and they are the most prone to sciatica. Look it up and you'll find the stretches on YouTube and such. I have sciatica from time to time. Besides heat and ibuprofen, these are the only thing that really help.

Yes, these stretches helped a ton too. They hurt like hell to get into the position to do, but they help a lot.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bikram (aka "hot") yoga helps mine tremendously!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I could barely get out of bed everyday. Went to physical therapy, stretching, traction. And then through Piyo I gained core strength and balance to stabilize that area. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I found that heat made the situation worse. I ice the area that is inflamed after I have taken a hard ball and massaged the piriformus. Between that, working on my core and stretches, it helps.
  • pagella
    pagella Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The combination of yoga and running have done wonders for me. Noticed a huge difference after about 2 months of the combination.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Mine is caused by muscle spasms in my back. I use a product called Equilite Sore No More and a tennis ball to break up the spasms/adhesions. Mine are also usually related to stress, so I try to keep that under control whenever possible.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Use these two stretches to target the muscles through the hips that are likely pulling on the nerve.

Piriformis Stretch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

Squat Hip Stretch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY

Using a lacrosse ball, pin the ball to a wall or door with your butt and roll the ball around. Press HARD. If you feel lumps or bumps popping around under the ball, those are muscle knots that are pulling, press on them with the ball. This will not be pleasant, but if you can get them to release, you should feel much better afterwards.

Look in to weight lifting to strengthen the entire region. Squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts. A strong back/hip/core will help with this tremendously.
  • pagella
    pagella Posts: 44
    Options
    Great thank you!
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    found this thread...already seeing a chiropractor, taking aleve, hot/cold on areas. doing stretches and adding new ones whenever I see them. What sucks is whenever I get more active doing something like cleaning under the sink, it flares up some hours later. I will though keep trying to get back to my normal routine as it is progressively, slowly getting better. I see my primary doctor in Jan. and will let her know about this too.