Smoking but wanna get fit

Options
2»

Replies

• ruthainsworth
    Options
    I had been smoking for about 10 years when I first gave up. I used the champix pills and they worked well even though the pills made me feel pretty gross while taking them it was a small price to pay to be smoke free. I went a full year not smoking, then hit a low point in life and immediately the first thing I reached for was a cigarette. I have been smoking again now for almost 2 years but have made the decision that today is my last day. You can for sure be fit and somewhat healthy while smoking but I'll never truely feel at my best if I'm still sucking on smokes (plus, here in NZ our government wants a smokefree country so prices for cigarettes are getting ridiculous!)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey when I was diagnosed with COPD at the age of 28, after smoking for just 9 years. Granted, I was a heavy smoker, but well, you always think it wont happen to you and then it does. I used nicotine inhalators to quit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It took many failed attempts at cold turkey before it finally stuck. What really drove it is my mom dying of cancer. She didn't smoke, but died of breast cancer. But, it really made me think about all that, and I watched her deteriorate from a happy healthy person, to someone that could barely take 5 steps. I'd rather not go through that, or at least, I don't want to increase my odds of it happening.

I think visualization can be an awesome technique. While I never smoked tobacco (had to grow it as a kid for our cash crop) I started calling added sugar poison. A guy asked my son if I would really die if I ate something with sugar in it. :) Actually added sugar does cause me great physical pain.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I quit in March. It ended up being a lot easier than I expected it to be. The hard part was making up my mind, once and for all, to actually really do it...and mean it. Once I decided and meant it, it was like a switch in my head. I no longer wanted to smoke. I haven't been tempted even once to go back to it. But getting into that mindset of really wanting to quit, of truly meaning it, of labeling myself a nonsmoker, was very, very difficult.

That being said, I would encourage you not to put off fitness. Once you get into lifting and get some cardio going, you'll find yourself with a desire to make better food choices and drink more water and...you'll want to quit smoking. It can really help with your motivation.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I quit cold turkey when I was diagnosed with COPD at the age of 28, after smoking for just 9 years. Granted, I was a heavy smoker, but well, you always think it wont happen to you and then it does. I used nicotine inhalators to quit.

Wow. I am 36, and that is a hardcore, sobering reality. I have almost 10 years on you, and smoked for 23 years. Yes, that's correct, I started smoking regularly at age 13. I LOVED to smoke. LOVED it. I would rather have had a Marlboro Lights Menthol than my next breath of air. With the exception of when I was pregnant/nursing, I smoked anywhere from a pack, to a pack and a half a day.

My mother in law had lung cancer, and had part of her right lung removed. She had COPD as well, and died at age 60. It wasn't enough to stop me. I never let my child see me smoke, and had been hiding it from my husband for years. Ironically enough, while taking a completely unrelated medication (meaning, not for smoking cessation), I just stopped. I was sitting on my front porch one night, and lit up a cigarette as I always did. I took a few draws off of it, and it didn't even taste good. I looked down at my cigarette, and honestly was in shock, but said to myself, "I don't even want this." I didn't finish it. I got up and threw a half smoked cigarette out in the road and walked in the house.

That was around the end of August. I haven't smoked since. I'll be honest, I really thought I'd die with smoking. I *knew* I needed to quit, and that I should, I'd tried a few times, but only half-heartedly, as I really loved smoking.

I'm glad I quit. I feel better. I breathe better. My car smells nice. I don't have to sneak around, or sneak out to feed my addiction. I know my health will improve over time.

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    There are so many other better ways to handle stress. Making your clothes and hair stink like an ashtray isn't one of them.

Well that was real helpful.
    I am in the same boat and not having very good luck , part is I think because I still enjoy it. Bad news for sure.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I've been smoking cigarettes daily for 5 years but I really really wanna get in an amazing shape... I've reduced smoking down to like 2-5 a day, but its hard to quit since I work a really stressful job (I'm a waitress at a popular restaurant). I'd like to stop completely before Christmas.. anyone have any experience or advice? :)
    Cold turkey. But you have to be prepared to do it. I promised my wife that once she got pregnant I would quit. When we did, she gave me approximately 3 weeks to figure it out. When the day came, I quit and never went back after smoking 20 years.
    Smoking is one of my biggest regrets because I know it's hampered my endurance. Luckily for me, there's not been any issues or major tissue damage in my lungs. A friend of mine is now dealing with stage 4 lung cancer from 30 years of smoking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    There are so many other better ways to handle stress. Making your clothes and hair stink like an ashtray isn't one of them.
    True. Right now my boxing classes (actually hitting a bag) are really popular and frequented by people who have high stress positions. They tell me it's their therapy and they are doing something great for themselves physically at the same time (most have lost between 30lbs-50lbs). And when they get home, they've been more relaxed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Tigg_er
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've been smoking cigarettes daily for 5 years but I really really wanna get in an amazing shape... I've reduced smoking down to like 2-5 a day, but its hard to quit since I work a really stressful job (I'm a waitress at a popular restaurant). I'd like to stop completely before Christmas.. anyone have any experience or advice? :)
    Cold turkey. But you have to be prepared to do it. I promised my wife that once she got pregnant I would quit. When we did, she gave me approximately 3 weeks to figure it out. When the day came, I quit and never went back after smoking 20 years.
    Smoking is one of my biggest regrets because I know it's hampered my endurance. Luckily for me, there's not been any issues or major tissue damage in my lungs. A friend of mine is now dealing with stage 4 lung cancer from 30 years of smoking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep I think your right, seems when I try to cut back I find myself rewarding myself with a smoke if I make it a 1/2 day with out one. You would think that with all the bad things that can happen and all the good things that matter , I would flush'em done the toilet.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep I think your right, seems when I try to cut back I find myself rewarding myself with a smoke if I make it a 1/2 day with out one. You would think that with all the bad things that can happen and all the good things that matter , I would flush'em done the toilet.
    Yeah, I don't really think that cutting it down would have worked for me because I would have found reasons to have another even if I reached my limit.
    I did have dreams of smoking for like 2 months, but eventually they faded. Unlike some former smokers, the smell doesn't bother me nor do I care if people smoke in public. I just hope they find the reason to quit someday because there's really no benefit to it except keeping the people who work in the industry employed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Tigg_er
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah, I don't really think that cutting it down would have worked for me because I would have found reasons to have another even if I reached my limit.
    I did have dreams of smoking for like 2 months, but eventually they faded. Unlike some former smokers, the smell doesn't bother me nor do I care if people smoke in public. I just hope they find the reason to quit someday because there's really no benefit to it except keeping the people who work in the industry employed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think finding the reason could be the answer. You promised your wife you would quit and you did. I take what I promise as gospel. I believe I am a man of my word so I am calling my granddaughters and making them a Promise that I will quit. They have been after me for a while and I for sure am not going to let them down. And I think I'll just drag them old bags out of the attic to help out a bit.

Thanks Niner for bringing it home to me.

• klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Lib_B wrote: »
    I quit cold turkey when I had a cold. I just didn't want them and so I seized the opportunity. I also downloaded an app call myQuitTime - you put in how much you smoked, how much they cost, etc. and over time it tells you how much money you've saved, how long you've gone without, how much of your life you've gotten back, etc. Love it - and it was free. When I have a craving (and years later I still do if I'm hanging out with smokers) I look at the app and remind myself how far I've come. You will feel so much better if you quit. With that being said, I had an uncle who ran marathons, participated in Iron Man competitions and lit up afterward. You can be a smoker and be superfit - but why would you? You'll just be that much better if you quit. And, he eventually quit smoking too. Good luck...it's not easy, but it's worth it.

Oh I wish I had known about that app back in 2012 when I did it manually on a paper calendar. The amount of money saved alone was enough motivation for me to never light up again. And that was not my first time to quit in the 20+ years that I smoked, but hopefully it is the last.

I was one of those thin, fit smokers, but really, I'm done with the nasty habit.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    If you can quit when you're pregnant and nursing, you can quit for good. Anything else is an excuse because you just don't want it bad enough.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Currently 51 days smoke and nicotine free. No "substitutes". I know it sounds crazy, I had the book for YEARS before I read it. Took me over a month to read through it but it really worked. The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. I read the version The Easy Way for Women to Quit smoking. Seriously changes the entire philosophy of quitting and how hard it doesn't have to be.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If I told myself I had to quit before I could get in shape, I would still be 60 lbs overweight, and I would still be smoking (which I am).

I'm not proud of smoking, and am actively trying to quit, but I smoke a pack a day and I can run a sub-2 hour half-marathon, a 45m 10k and a 22 minute 5k.

You don't need to quit before you start working on other aspects of your health, it probably helps, but don't let the fact that you smoke deter you from being active and watching what you eat.

Just go out there and do it. It won't be easy, and smoking will be a huge reason for that, but you can still do it.

This too. I smoked for the first two years of my lifestyle changes. It was hard to start but I made it. Quitting smoking is one of the very last steps in the all new healthy me.