Weight Loss - Not just a quick fix

Options
I've had way too much coffee but felt the need to share my two cents on being healthy.

Weight loss isn't going to happen over night, and that's one thing I've learned. I don't believe in diets, and don't like using mind sets such as "I want to lose this weight by this time for this event." Normally what ends up happening is you get to your goal weight for that time frame, you begin to feel happy about yourself, and so you go back to your old eating habits.

No, I feel like weight loss is a complete change of a life style. Living in a bigger city, I've discovered a joy for biking. It's quicker than driving, it feels so amazing, and the work out that you get can't be beat. I walk as much as possible. I take stairs. I hike, run, and still try to make it to the gym. Take a quick walk after dinner. I tend to pace when I'm on the phone, shake my legs when I sit at a desk, and get up and move every 15 minutes.

Eating? I'm a vegetarian but also a college student in my 20's. I've learned that home cooked meals are the best way to watch what you eat, and that packing your own lunch is the most positive thing you can do for yourself in the day. I still go out to eat. I still drink beer. And I still indulge in social eating. But I'm trying to learn not to beat myself up over it. Why? Because happiness isn't only a body image. It's also being around people, socializing, and enjoying the pleasures in life.

I had hoped when I lost weight, became more toned, that I would be happy no matter what. Look how skinny I am, I can wear whatever clothes I want! But I'm still the same person, with the same personality. And although I carry myself with more confidence, my weight loss isn't going to all of a sudden make me happier.

My happiness comes from knowing I've become a healthier person all around, that has made life changes that will hopefully add years to my life, and allow me to also out run those extremely slow zombies when the apocalypse comes!

Have an amazing day, and get outside and move! =)

Replies

• gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Amen! So nice to end the week on this note! Thanks!
  • cwbzfan
    cwbzfan Posts: 14
    Options
    Well said!
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Health is a lifetime challenge-- I think you get the picture :) Good luck with achieving your goals !
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!! I don't diet either! Alot of people have commented on my foods and said they are not diet foods....i was like i am not on a diet...i still eat the same things (of course try to eat more veggies- that is where I always struggled) and if I am hungry I eat!

I enjoy treats and chocolate so I still enjoy those! I just make sure that everything is in moderation (the things that are not so great for me)

I will never give up my Corona on thursday nights! Just worked it into my lifestyle better.....since I am more aware of what I am eatting!

Thanks for saying what I think needs to be said!

Worry about the inside just as much as the outside!

Remember the work Die is in Diet.....who wants that??!?!?!?

Have a great weekend and best of luck on your journey of changing your life....not dieting for the rest of your life!!!!