Please help me!!!

Options
I started my weight loss journey last January on the 27th and I've been extremely active in the gym. I've been working out for 2 to 3 hours daily except on Fridays. My workouts used to consist of: Cardio, lifting weight, boxing, dancing, insanity, swimming, cycling, running, cross fit and much more..

My calories intake when I first started used to be 1200 calories because of my weight and the moment I started losing a lot of weight I started eating more up to 1500 calories but of course I increased my fitness level so it wasn't a problem to me.

My height is 5"5 and I used to weigh 265 lbs, I've lost 80 lbs in 8 months, and now my weight is 185 lbs. My goal weight is to reach 147 lbs by March or anytime before Summer holiday. So many people said that I lost a lot of weight in no time but the thing is in my first two months I did lose a lot because my body never did adjust to the ''new healthy life'' but later on I started losing about 7 lbs every month which is the healthy way.

Sadly, 3 days ago I've had a bad ankle injury which caused it to be fractured and my doctor advised me to stay in bed for two weeks, however I must wear the plaster cast for a month. I am currently stuck here on my bed doing nothing and I feel bad, depressed because gym was and still is my second home and I just had a lot of good opportunities get wasted such as marathons.

The reason why I posted this is to know how much I should eat and my calorie intake since I can't move at all, the only time I can actually move is when I wanna use the toilet. I feel bad already, sometimes I do exercise on my upper body but I'm more concerned about my weight and diet. I am still eating healthy, and I do not stress eat because I've promised myself to stay healthy.
However I still do not know how much to eat, when to eat..I still wanna maintain and lose weight even though I can't move, I don't want a stupid injury affect my goals.

So please does anyone know how much calories I should consume? and when to eat? and if my diet would ever help me lose weight even if I'm not working out?

P,s: I do take care of my ankle a lot and I'm not trying to make the injury anyway worse than it is, if I exercise on my upper body I get extra careful with out moving my legs.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Use a calorie calculator (MFP, IIFYM, scooby, etc.) and calculate your calories at the sedentary level. Then eat less than that. It doesn't matter when you eat. As long as you eat at a caloric deficit, you can lose.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about diet, exercise keeps you healthy and benefits your heart and lungs. You will still be able to loose weight without exercise. Calculate your calories using sedentary as your activity level, then stick to those calories. You are about the same size as me right now and the days I don't exercise I stick to 1200 and I still loose.
  • darkiichyuu
    Options
    But I tried doing that first two days I felt super bloated and like I'm an active person so when I used to eat in such amount I knew I can burn it off later..but after eating the same amount the first two days I stopped and I felt that I need to eat way less since I'm not moving..

god this sucks.. x(( I miss gym..
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Youre gonna have to educate yourself enough that you dont ask strangers to give you a you-specific diet. Learn enough to make one for yourself that works well with your gym program.

its the whole give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he'll never go hungry thing.

we cant do this for you.
  • darkiichyuu
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Youre gonna have to educate yourself enough that you dont ask strangers to give you a you-specific diet. Learn enough to make one for yourself that works well with your gym program.

its the whole give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he'll never go hungry thing.

we cant do this for you.

I'm new to this and the whole time I've spent on losing weight and since the beginning of my weight loss journey, I never asked anyone for help nor I asked doctors..I've done this whole thing on my own I did do my own research because I could. But with this injury and researching for answers isn't working much and even if I got few answers it all seem *kitten* to me. The reason of posting this is to ask and why not ask someone who had a similar experience that might be useful to me right? isn't this the purpose of this community blog or w/e? these are strangers indeed however they are here to help each other and that is why I'm here to ask my questions. If I did not get answers then be it..at least I've tried.

Thanks for your reply though.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Too many people here seem to log on just to be brash or rude. Don't let it get to you. I don't blame you for being depressed/upset heck maybe even worried you'll gain it back.

Like some others said, I'd use MFP and adjust your calorie intake to a person who isn't active since you are hurt. Also, it's not going to be perfect so don't fret after a few days. Personally, I found a breakfast and lunch that works for me and I eat the same thing almost daily. Then my dinner varies.

Good luck in your recovery. After a period of adjustment, you will be fine. Just keep positive and don't give in to the "eating away the pain" thoughts.
  • darkiichyuu
    Options
    BaltarVK wrote: »
    Too many people here seem to log on just to be brash or rude. Don't let it get to you. I don't blame you for being depressed/upset heck maybe even worried you'll gain it back.

Like some others said, I'd use MFP and adjust your calorie intake to a person who isn't active since you are hurt. Also, it's not going to be perfect so don't fret after a few days. Personally, I found a breakfast and lunch that works for me and I eat the same thing almost daily. Then my dinner varies.

Good luck in your recovery. After a period of adjustment, you will be fine. Just keep positive and don't give in to the "eating away the pain" thoughts.

Thank you a lot :smile: I will try my best since it is really hard to get used to a good habit such as being very active to this.. it sucks but I am trying my best to cheer myself up..thank you!
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Consider it an extra challenge " I can't even work out and look how much I lost. :) "
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's all about eating fewer calories than you burn. since you're burning fewer calories, I recommend calculating your needs from exrx.net and/or health-calc.com, subtract 20% from the number, and that should be your current goal. Adjust it down or up if you lose too slow/quick (aim for ~1lb/week). Although with your cast, if you want to keep weighing normally then just do it externally from the site. Weigh yourself now, but base your calculations on the no-cast weight. Then write down your weight every week or however you do it, and when you get the cast off just add all the numbers (weigh yourself with the cast the day it gets removed), weigh your castless self and see if the overall loss is equal to your real starting weight and current weight. If this makes sense lol.

Anyways, just average out the time you suspect you'll spend walking and standing every day in a week, then use your normal sleep and sitting time, and you should get a good new goal.
  • KelseyDiane91
    KelseyDiane91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

we cant do this for you.

I'm new to this and the whole time I've spent on losing weight and since the beginning of my weight loss journey, I never asked anyone for help nor I asked doctors..I've done this whole thing on my own I did do my own research because I could. But with this injury and researching for answers isn't working much and even if I got few answers it all seem *kitten* to me. The reason of posting this is to ask and why not ask someone who had a similar experience that might be useful to me right? isn't this the purpose of this community blog or w/e? these are strangers indeed however they are here to help each other and that is why I'm here to ask my questions. If I did not get answers then be it..at least I've tried.

This original comment seems rude to me. You're right, the whole point of the community section is to ask for advice when needed. I'm happy you are looking for some advice, as you've worked too hard to let your successes backslide. I hope you find something that works for you! And I hope you have a very speedy recovery! <3
  • yoovie
    Options

we cant do this for you.

It's totally cool! And very admirable that you take the time to look around and find your own way! very very great!!

Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about your personal situation and caloric needs is a very individual thing, I wish I could help more, but maybe talking to your doctor would help this time!

• SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    BaltarVK wrote: »

RIGHT???!!! GEEEZ crazy idea to ask a for advice or a specific question in a PUBLIC FORUM! ....
    OP, a had a bad knee injury a few months back, no running at all was allowed! re calculate your calorie intake as for sedentary life style and try to eat things that keep you body from bloating, cut salt, not to much raw veggies, soups, fruit... It helped me! best luck!~
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Like some others already said, losing weight is just about eating less calories than you burn. Working out can help increase the calories burned, but it doesn't matter if you work out or not (for weight loss...not necessarily for health or body composition), as long as what you eat is less than what you burn.

If I were in your position, I would set MFP to sedentary with a small deficit (250-500 calories, or 1/2-1lb per week), mostly because (a) your body does need to heal, and that takes calories. I think a small deficit is fine, but if you restrict TOO much you might find yourself in a position where your recovery takes even longer, and (b) it would pretty much suck to reduce more than that off of a sedentary TDEE. I would also not stress so much if my loss for this month or two is less than normal, or even if I maintained. I understand that you have goals, but look how far you've come already. Life happens, and sometimes you have to roll with the punches.

Finally, if you're on any kind of pain meds or anti-inflammatories (even OTC), and/or if you've suddenly changed your activity level (which you have), the water balance in your body is going to temporarily be all over the place. Going by how your clothes fit and how you feel is an excellent tool in weight loss/maintenance overall, but in a situation like this I wouldn't let it dictate your eating habits, at least at first.

Good luck, and be well!
  • yoovie
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Please stop pointing the finger at me and accusing me of being rude, when all I wanted to do was leave the advice that worked best for me, and I did nothing cruel. Telling someone that learning how they can do these calculations for themselves isn't an attack.

:(
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Use a calorie calculator (MFP, IIFYM, scooby, etc.) and calculate your calories at the sedentary level. Then eat less than that. It doesn't matter when you eat. As long as you eat at a caloric deficit, you can lose.

I agree! It makes sense that changing your activity level in the calorie calculator would come up with a more accurate suggestion for calories now that you're not as active.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    mbam89 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I agree! It makes sense that changing your activity level in the calorie calculator would come up with a more accurate suggestion for calories now that you're not as active.

except these calculators can be pretty inaccurate IME for sedentary. Which is why I rec calculators like health-calc.com or exrx.net because you input hours spent at different activity levels. E.g. I feel pretty sedentary but because I'm a student, my needs actually apparently fit moderately active on MFP (i do not use the default settings).