Protein Intake

derekwstein
derekwstein Posts: 2
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all-

Had quick protein question. I've lost 50lbs in the last year, and I've been taking a weights class this past semester, and plan to continue my weight lifting regiment after the class ends. I was starting to get curious about protein supplements for muscle gain. However, I don't want to experience a lot of weight gain as a consequence of increased intake of protein.

SO, have any protein suggestions? Is it protein that I'm looking for? Should I take anything?

Any input is appreciated.

-D.Stein

Replies

• Czarinazero
    Czarinazero Posts: 2 Member
    I just picked up Jillian Michaels Natural Whey Protein at Walmart. It was pretty inexpensive and has 100 calories and 15g of protein per serving. I'm going to blend it with water, ice, and fruit after my workouts.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Protein won't increase your muscle mass on its own. It will help your body recover quicker so that you can lift more, faster IF you want to. If you take in too much protein it can also turn to sugar. I've read that a good rule of thumb to build muscle is 1 lb per pound of body weight - which is also true if you want to lose weight.

As far as supplements, I use the EAS whey protein. I mix it in a smoothie and I'm off. EAS also has a low carb shake that's not too bad and I eat the Pure Protein bars after I workout so that I'm not sore. I keep my protein over 100g a day.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Protein builds muscle.
    General rule is 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound body weight for maximum muscle growth.
    Bonus: Muscle burns fat!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Increased protein won't grow you muscles, you need to exercise with weights or something - I understand it gets excreted as waste otherwise - anyone have views..?
This discussion has been closed.