pounds to pant size ?

Options
how many pounds do you have to loose to go down a pant size.

i now 174 am a 13/14 woman's and when i was 150 i was a 10/11

i want to be an 8 in my dream world how much weight would that be.

would i have to be 140/135 to be a size

i thought 15 pounds equaled a pant size but that doesn't add up.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    For me I've found that it is about 10 pounds a pants size. But everyone carries their weight differently.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string? There is no way to know each individual will differ depending on distribution of fat and muscle tissue also depending on frame size. Also people do not lose weight in the same way as others or even as they have previously and from the same areas.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on your body fat percentage and how your body stores fat. I weigh 125 pounds and usually wear a 6, but in some brands I wear an 8. I tend to store all my fat around my waist so that increases my pants size. If you have a lot of muscle, you may weigh more but still fit into a smaller size.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on body composition (fat/muscle), genetics (body shape), age (your body changes shape as you age) and height, and it's not a linear relationship (the differences between sizes gets smaller in the smaller sizes), plus store sizing is all different.

It's not really possible to know how it would affect you specifically. I had no idea I'd end up a US size 2 petite when I got to 125 lbs, and there was no way of predicting it either. Suffice it to say, when you reach your goal, you'd look fabulous in a paper bag!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a definite answer to that.
    I've met some people who weigh 240-250 and who are a size 28 but at my heaviest I was 338 at a size 24. I'm down nearly 50 lbs and still a size 20-22 depending on the make of the clothing.
    If there is some way to do that then I'm all ears to know what it is! :smiley:
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Some people drop pant sizes without even dropping weight. We will not be able to tell you as it depends on the individual.
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    for me is 10 pounds but I am 170 and I use 7-8, at 230 16-14, at my lowest (145) 6/5 ... but I think it depends on how you carry your weight... I am am hour glass shape and my weight comes off from my hips and butt faster than arms, for example///
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    this all makes sense i have wider hips so i guess we will see ware i end up
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It's all dependent on body composition. I am 5 lbs smaller than I was in high school at the same height and was a size 5 in high school, I am a size 0 now. No way was 5 lbs the deciding factor on fitting in that or not. Going from 170 lbs and a size 16 to what I am now and doing so at a moderate pace, weightlifting, and genetics determined fat loss and distribution. The best you can do is lose weight at a decent pace, get a good amount of protein and do some form of resistance training.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Not only is it dependent on body composition (and it's not linear, either)--it depends on where you are shopping, too. I can wear anywhere from a size 6 to a size 10 in pants, depending on the brand!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Typically it's 10 pounds per size for JEANS, with an hourglass figure. Dress pants, dresses, anything not made out of denim basically varies widely. I wish they would standardize womens clothes.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Again, dependent on body shape. I'm a UK 10-12 on top, 14-16 on the bottom. I go shopping when I've lost about 4 kilos or so thinking 'this time, this time I'll get into 14 jeans' nope. My top half will have moved down to an 8 and my thighs will remain unbudged.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    vamaena wrote: »
    I don't think there is a definite answer to that.
    I've met some people who weigh 240-250 and who are a size 28 but at my heaviest I was 338 at a size 24. I'm down nearly 50 lbs and still a size 20-22 depending on the make of the clothing.
    If there is some way to do that then I'm all ears to know what it is! :smiley:

I was 317 and a 26, now I am 296 and a 24, so 20 pounds for one pant size, and the 24s are actually a little on the snug side! I am also 5'9" and big boned, and carry my weight in my stomach. Before I got pregnant with my now nine month old son, I was 295 and easily fit into the 24s, now at the same weight they are a little snug. The distribution of weight in my body shifted during/after pregnancy.

It just varies. From one person to another and even with the same person, depending on life (ie pregnancy).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on body composition (fat/muscle), genetics (body shape), age (your body changes shape as you age) and height, and it's not a linear relationship (the differences between sizes gets smaller in the smaller sizes), plus store sizing is all different.

It's not really possible to know how it would affect you specifically. I had no idea I'd end up a US size 2 petite when I got to 125 lbs, and there was no way of predicting it either. Suffice it to say, when you reach your goal, you'd look fabulous in a paper bag!

This^......Sums it up nicely.

This is why losing weight at a rate that is appropriate for your size is important. Really low calories over time don't support lean muscle. Lean muscle is compact....fat isn't.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It took me about 25 pounds to go down a pants size. And now I've been in size 16s for about 20 pounds. I have VERY wide hips though.

It's different for everyone.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    how many pounds do you have to loose to go down a pant size.

i now 174 am a 13/14 woman's and when i was 150 i was a 10/11

i want to be an 8 in my dream world how much weight would that be.

would i have to be 140/135 to be a size

i thought 15 pounds equaled a pant size but that doesn't add up.

It depends on your body type and your body composition (body fat %). Pounds doesn't always directly relate to sizes. In 2006 I weighed 174 pounds and I wore a size 12 in jeans (snug). I lost weight and went down to 142 and I wore size 8 jeans. Now I weigh 160 and I still wear size 8 jeans. I changed my body composition so even though I weigh more, my size is still smaller.

I have a friend who wears size 10 jeans but her dream is to be a size 8. The thing is, her hip bones are just wider than mine. Even though she weighs less and she really is at the low end of healthy weight range, she can't make her bones be any smaller to fit in a size 8.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on your body and where you carry the weight. I've lost 50 and not even close to going down a size. Some people lose 2 lbs and are down a size. Average is supposed to be about 10 lbs per size.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. I went down 3 pants sizes in the first 15 pounds I lost (soon to be 4) so one would think it would be 5 pounds per pant size, however going on that by the time I hit goal weight I would be in negative numbers (part of this could be because I am 5' 9 1/2 inches tall and have an insanely long torso). Heck my daughters are within 3 pounds of each others weights and 1 inch difference in height but wear different sizes in pants (one wears a 5 the other wears a 7-9 and its the lighter taller teen who wears the larger size)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well. I'm 6' and at my highest weight I was 307lbs and a very very tight 22. I got to a 20 by 298 and it took to 275ish to get into 18s...But I also have 18s that still don't fit, 18s that fall off, 20s that I swim in, etc. Oh vanity sizing, how I loathe you./ Oh and in tops for the most part I wear a size 14/16 which is a whole size smaller than pants. Dresses, I dunno, my friend custom made the last dress I got so I couldn't tell ya.