Yep, here it is. Yet another greek yogurt thread.

c7eat2live
c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So, this one is different though, its more of a review/suggestion thread because I LOVE GREEK YOGURT! Love it. Love love love. ok, enough of that already.But why greek yogurt you ask? Well compared to "regular" yogurt it has a very thick creamy texture, has very little to no fat, much higher protein levels, and is a versatile ingredient for cooking.

So the first thing I do when picking out Greek yogurt is to look for three main things: Sugar, Protein, Calories. I have tried a bunch of different brands...Chobani, Fage, Trader Joes organic, Trader Joes with added fiber, Stonyfield (Oikos) and various others.

Here is a little taste/nutritionals rundown.

Chobani: Hands down best tasting I think, as far as fruit flavors are concerned (I hated the honey and plain of this brand, the plain has a really weird aftertaste) BUT high in sugar, and unlike the mini Fage cups, the fruit is already added at the bottom, so you have no control over what goes in. More like a desert.
6oz
140 Calories
19 grams sugar
14 grams proten
20 carbs

Fage: its totally awesome that you can get either fat free or 2%. The 2% is creamier, richer tasting and I think just better overall, but if your worried about those few extra grams of fat, skip that. The other cool thing about Fage if you get the mini cups, is that the fruit and added sugar is basically add-your-own-amount, so if you want to cut the sugar down, but still get the yummy fruit tase, just dont dump all of it in. You could always just buy the large container and add your won jam of course!!
5.3-6 oz
100-150 calories (depends on fat and sugar added)
0-6 grams fat
12-20 protein
7-16 grams of sugar

Trader Joes Organic:hands down the BEST vanilla greek yogurt in my opinion for flavor and texture.
5.3 oz
130 caloires
0 fat
20 carbs
17 sugar
12 protein

Stonyfield Oikos: I HATED this brand, I only tried vanilla, bu the taste was just horrible, weird aftertaste, threw the container out immediately. Hoever, it was the first certified organic brand on the market, so many people love it :)
5.3 oz Plain
90 calories
15 protein
0 fat
6 sugar
6 carbs

Final comments: I love the fruity, sugary greek yogurts because they taste awesome, and are a lot healthier than many other breakfast foods and/or desserts. As I try to wean away from them and towards plain, I think I could start with Fage 2% and work down from there, adding my own flavorings, but sometimes its simply more practical to have everything ready to go out the door when I am on the run to work or school without mixing stuff in. There is a generic brand greek yogurt at Smiths (out local "non-organic" kinda store, think Albertsons etc) that has a new kind with Stevia to sweeten, I havent tried it yet and its not organic, but that may be a good option if you want sweet with lower calories. There are tons of recipes that utilize greek yogurt, check them out!
Here are some of my favorite super-toppings:

Chobani strawberry+1/8 cup of walnut pieces+1/4 tsp of cinnamon.
Tastes like a cinnamon bagle with strawberry cream cheese. 242 calories, 22 carbs, 17 grams of protein.

Trader Joes Organic Nonfat Vanilla+3 strawberries+1 kiwi chopped into small pieces
Fage 2% Plain+1/2 tsp agave nectar+slivered almonds

A little 2 cents on cost: lots of people talk about how expensive greek yogurt is. Yeah, its not like 99 cent yoplait. BUT you are getting better nutrition. And honestly, if you eat a 2$ Fage for breakfast with a couple almonds sitrred in, you are having a breakfast for about $2.50. Seems like a pretty darn good deal to me :)

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    good info.

I HAVE to stick up for Okios...okios honey flavor with granola is hands down my favorite breakfast ever.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I tried the Oikos vanilla too and it's just plain nasty but the strawberry and blueberry are MUCH better and I actually prefer them to any other brand. They also have less sugars and more protein than other brands and of course no fat - YAY!
  • c7eat2live
    okay okay I may have to try again :) and get over my horrible first impression...
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    I like the oikos with honey flavor too. I put in some peans and it is so yum. The vanilla or strawberry are good mixed with fruit and kim milk in the blender for a yummy protein filled smoothie
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    I have top agree about the Fage 2% Plain. I love it.. I add some strawberry jam and 1/4 cup of granola.
  • I love chobani. Yoplait has greek yogurt now too.
  • try the Oikos caramel. It is AMAZINGLY good :P
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    thanks for taking the time with this....
  • Diannerv
    Diannerv Posts: 195
    I am a chobani fan also although I prefer only the plain or vanilla. Have you ever tried siggis? Thats stuff is the BEST!!! the plain only has 4 grams of sugar. I like to add my own stuff. However I have only found it at Whole Foods and regular price is around $2.50 so I try to hit it on sale which I have seen for $1.25. I have never tried the fage so I will try some next time I'm at the store.
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Oikos Carmel, eaten with apples is a nice snack. Otherwise I eat FF plain Fage with splenda, some times I add fruit to it. Good stuff! Great for recipes too!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    i do dannon greek, plain 0% fat...tastes fine to me, is comparable in nutritional info and half the price...
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    You should try the Oikos greek yogurt, blueberry, honey or caramel flavored... It's really yummy... and still low in calories... with all the good proteins... :)
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    For a dessert splurge I love Greek Gods.. they use full fat but everything is natural, no wacky chemicals. To me it's almost like a cheesecake texture.. yum. For my everyday yogurt I get fage. Love the texture.. sometimes I get bored with it though..

One way I really like to eat Fage is to mix in about 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (to about a cup fage), pumpkin pie spice, and truvia. It's sorta like eating pumpkin pie!! I haven't tried it with nuts but as I'm writing this I'm thinking walnuts might be amazing in it.
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    I love Oikos as well! Yes, you HAVE to get the flavored kind but those are soooo good and low calories but with all the good stuff in it! Plus if you add granola it's gonna be a great meal... I eat it without anything added as a snack when I'm about to die of starvation (usually between lunch and dinner ;) Plus all the protein really helps me stay more full than regular yogurt.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Thanks for your breakdown....I have tried the Oikos Vanilla also and didn't love it. That said, I typically eat the Chobani Nonfat Plain, but add about 1/6 cup of muesli, 1/2 cup of blackberries and sometimes a teeny drizzle of honey. Delish!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    I haven't ever eaten sweet Greek yogurt. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it.
    I love a huge Meze feast (my ex was Syrian) with Lebneh, which is basically what most know as Greek yogurt, it is strained to thicken it.
    The Iranian version is the Bomb! I forget the name, but its easy to make, just add finely chopped shallots to Greek yogurt you buy at the store.
    Add that to the typical appetizers at a Meze like hummus and babaganoush and serve with pita bread, and kibbeh, taboule, and yubra (same as sarma)... making me so hungry right now! I gotta put a Meze together; see what you've done!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    I pretty much only like the Trader Joes Greek yogurt... and only the plain full fat one. I accidentally got the non-fat one (almost identical blue container! What were they thinking...) and I managed to eat it all, but blech all the way. Anyway, the plain full fat one I like for the hint of cheese flavor and richness. I mix it in with fiber one original bran which has no sugar but does have a sweet flavor.

But since it's a tiny tub for almost $3 where I live, and it's full fat... I use it in moderation. My regular yogurt is Nancy's low-fat plain which I can get in an enormous tub for $5.
  • c7eat2live
    awesome suggestions you guys! I am definitely going to the try the punpkin idea sometime :) yummy. I love spices in everything, always cinnamon, sometimes a little nutmeg too,
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    I :heart: greek yogurt!! Thanks so much for the ideas/suggestions!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Fage 0% plain is the way to go.

Throw any fruits you want, a bit of honey if you want it sweeter, or eat it out of the box.

500g tubs of the stuff are a staple food item in my fridge and make for a perfect evening snack.
This discussion has been closed.