Working out in AM

Options
I really want to change my cardio workout to the morning. I presently do the Elliptical walker for an hour. Is it possible to have the energy (I don't have time to eat and wait a half hour to workout) in the morning? Does anybody else do this? Tell me what helps with your motivation.

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings. I get up at about 4:45 and at the gym by 5:30. No one can give you the will power to do it. if you have problems getting up in the mornings, put your alarm clock on the other side of the room, or in a different room and cut the volume up. That way you HAVE to get up. I always tell myself on those mornings that I'm just not feeling it that I will feel better going and doing it than I would knowing that I was lazy and skipped it. Working out in the mornings for me just gets me going for the entire day.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    I prefer the mornings.
    I also incorporate a protein shake at a minimum after but also drink one before I go on occasions.
    It just makes me feel ready for the day.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Its best to eat something a half hour before working out, but that isn't a rule or anything... just make sure to eat light, a slice of toast and a piece of fruit....

You don't really wanna work out on an empty stomach, so just eat something light.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I workout. I get up at 4:15 a.m. to workout. You just do it and it becomes a habit after a while. There are days I will give myself just 5 minutes, then 5 more minutes and before I know it the workout is over.
  • dtdemarcus
    Options
    i just grab a handful ( 12) almonds
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have always worked out in the mornings, and I'm far from being a morning person! In fact, I dread my 630 morning alarm! I eat a banana while my kids get ready for school, drop them off come home and get at it. Its been my routine since starting. Weekends I may wait til late morning but its always before lunch. I agree with BamBam when he says morning workouts get him going for the rest of the day, it energizes me and keeps me going all day. Best of luck to you!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I also workout in the mornings, 3days a week from 6-7 and twice a week from 5:30-7.
    Three mornings are bootcamp. non-negotiable, class meets with or without me. I prefer it be with me :wink: . since joining 8 months ago I only missed one class, and thats bec I had no one to stay with my kids.
    The other 2 days that I workout on my own I try to use the same mentality: It's part of my schedule and something I need to do, no matter how much/little sleep I got the night before.
    And, you'll see, no matter how exhausted you are when you drag your body out of bed --- 5 min into the workout that's all behind you.

Good Luck! Stay Motivated!

s
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I really want to change my cardio workout to the morning. I presently do the Elliptical walker for an hour. Is it possible to have the energy (I don't have time to eat and wait a half hour to workout) in the morning? Does anybody else do this? Tell me what helps with your motivation.

I work out in the mornings. Its hard to get out of bed at first, but once I get going my energy picks up, and I actually feel better for the rest of the day. I don't always eat breakfast before, although if you are doing something like weight lifting, you may want to try to at least eat something small. That's all a matter of opinion. I have heard that working out in the AM helps boost your metabolism for the rest of the day, and so far it has worked well for me (I lost 25 lbs and recently reset my ticker to lose 5 more).
  • cindylc
    cindylc Posts: 14
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 and am at the gym by 5:00, 6 days a week. I LOVE IT! Make sure you have everything ready the night before (water bottled filled and in fridge, workout clothes out, shoes ready, etc). Also make sure you go to bed extra early the first few days of changing your schedule, after that your body seems to adjust.
    It was really hard the first week, but now I wake up before the alarm most days. I don't eat before I work out in the mornings, I sip on water or gatorade while working out...but I know a lot of people drink part of a slim fast or something to keep from getting light-headed. I eat oatmeal as soon as I get home and that routine really works for me.

Good luck!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    The only time I often find to work out is at like 5-5:30, as soon as I wake up. If I feel hungry I eat a banana or a protein bar. I agree that only YOU can give yourself motivation to work out that early. Most people think I'm insane when I say I get up that early to work out. But, it's usually either that or nothing so I take what I can get. :wink:
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:15 (3 mornings a week) and go straight to the gym. I always have my water with me when I go, but I do Body Pump (weight training, cardio class) for an hour and I'm fine. Actually, I can't even eat until about 8 or I start feeling bad. But yes, I have plenty of energy!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This week I started doing workouts in the morning and then having bfast after. The only way I can even conceive of do it is if I get to do that at home. So I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30d shred (20 minutes, takes up very little space, gets me sweating and breathing hard), and it's been GREAT. I love that I've already done some exercise when I start work and if things get a bit crazy during the day, I don't have to scramble to get to the gym in the evening. I usually go to the gym or do some other exercise also (ballroom dancing usually).

So I would recommend doing your AM workout at home and start with something short. Still do your normal PM workout but maybe shorten it. If you like the AM workout, then slowly transition your time spent.
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    I am NOT adorning person. But I prefer to workout first thing every day. Gives me energy for the day and also doesn't give me a chance to find an excuse not to go to the gym in the evening. With that being said, 90% of the time I end up working out in the evening due to work and family schedule. But if I had the choice it would definitely be early morning workouts!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Bam Bam is right............I am at the gym at 5 30 , and I do cardio after I do weights........about one hour of cardio

I get it behind me, that way theres NO excuses for not going to the gym.....
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Working out in the morning is the best way to get your day started. If I don't go first thing in the morning I find myself making excuses not to go at all. As far as having energy, I work out on an empty stomach, always have. Just make sure you are eating enough throughout the day and you won't be starving when you wake up.
  • dccalv2
    dccalv2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. I have been working out when I get home for work but it messes with dinner time and family time. So...I am going to try to switch it up next week!