More active=Fewer Calories? (fitbit question)

Options
m05vna3joag2.jpg
v01a6nyzlnv3.jpg
Hi there!
Any idea why I showed a bigger calorie burn on the day when I logged fewer steps, stairs and fewer active minutes? Puzzler. I didn't change any settings.
Thanks!

Replies

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    There may have been an issue where it didn't log the active minutes correctly. I do know that the speed of your steps can increase the calorie burn number (so if you walked faster the burn could be higher, even though the distance and steps is less). For example if I run 3 miles I burn more calories than if I walk 3 miles (I also have less "active" time as running the 3 miles takes less time than walking them).
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ooo... I had a look and I have a similar couple of days.

1h1i6z54whsg.jpg
    q8zfp11phycf.jpg
  • Oishii
    Options
    Could it be number of 'very active' minutes?
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Are you logging exercise via the FitBit app? Unless I am mistaken (always a possibility :smile: ), the FitBit app appears to remove active minutes from the counter if I later log that time as exercise. I mostly see this when MapMyWalk syncs to the FitBit app: my calories burnt go up and my active minutes decrement.

If you are doing something similar either manually or via another app, that might explain the pattern above.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks ariberio. Maybe it was the speed! That makes sense.
    Oishii! You too! I only just noticed today so I wonder how many other days were like that. I only happened to notice because I was looking at the calorie adjustments on mfp and saw that Sunday I had a smaller adjustment even though (i thought) I had done more....
  • vgnfarmer
    Options
    Infomancer, I'm just using the Force fitbit syncing to MFP. I don't use any other apps or manually add any exercise. Maybe I should have returned this force with the recall hehe
  • Oishii
    Options
    There may have been an issue where it didn't log the active minutes correctly. I do know that the speed of your steps can increase the calorie burn number (so if you walked faster the burn could be higher, even though the distance and steps is less). For example if I run 3 miles I burn more calories than if I walk 3 miles (I also have less "active" time as running the 3 miles takes less time than walking them).

I thought research had shown that the distance determined the burn, rather than the speed? So a walked mile and a run mile are the same burn.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »

I thought research had shown that the distance determined the burn, rather than the speed? So a walked mile and a run mile are the same burn.

They are close but not the same. Where the difference is really minimal is between different walking speeds (with incredibly fast paced walking being the exception) and different paces of running (sprinting being the exception for running).

Walking 3mhp vs 4mph will net roughly the same number of calories burned over an equal distance.

The same goes for running at 6mph vs 8 mph.

There is a difference between running and walking though since the mechanics of the two are different with running burning a bit more. It's not a huge difference but one worth logging the difference for.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    And this is why I stopped using my Fitbit. It just made no sense.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Floors doesn't count in to calorie burn at all, if that helps. It's a stand-alone metric, just for fun.

Steps or active minutes are not the determinants of calorie burn, which is why you can have a higher steps day and a lower calorie burn. It depends what it thought you were doing across the whole day. Impact, speed, minutes, etc.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    Could it be number of 'very active' minutes?

Yes, that is it. I don't know exactly how it works, I just know that I get more calories on days with more very active minutes. I have been walking 3 miles a day but this week I threw a little bit of running in there. Same distance, more calories. Makes sense to me.

• vgnfarmer
    Options
    That is what was puzzling me. On the day with 55 active minutes I burned less than they day with 1 active minute....oh well either way I just need to keep moving and tracking
  • vgnfarmer
    Options
    Thanks WalkingAlong!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for helping me in my decision NOT to go with the fitbit. Whew! Load off my mind.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Would you feel better if it assigned calories as "X steps = Y calories"? It uses a much more sophisticated set of algorithms.