Eating after 7

Options
Does not eating after 7 really help you lose weight?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. I eat something after 7 nearly every single night and it hasn't slowed me down in the least.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    IMO, it doesn't matter. It's all about WHAT you are eating...
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I eat from the time I get up till the time I go to bed if I have the calories... and it has been working for me. But everyone is different... some people swear that they can't lose if they eat late at night...
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it does, but I've never experienced it. I don't even get out of work until 5, so by the time I change, hit the gym, come home & shower, it's always after 7. I've never had a problem =)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The time you eat doesn't matter, but the amount does. The idea of an eating cut-off time is to prevent unconscious snacking, often caused by dropping self-control due to tiredness.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    I've heard it both ways.
    I usually don't eat much after 7 just because I normally have had dinner by then.
    I almost always have a casein shake before bed though.
    Your body is essentially fasting while you are sleep.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    For the past 5-7 years, I used eat dinner by 6pm (latest!) and not eat anything afterwards.... that was before I joined this site. Now I eat when I want but mind what I DO put in my body... it's all about listening to your body and feeding it good foods :) And, for what it's worth, I have a way better body now that I actually feed and exercise it instead of the opposite... I think it is happier.... :D
  • janezombie
    Options
    Before I joined this yesterday I had lost 60 pounds last year. But since then I have had a tough time dropping the 25 more to my goal. When I was at my best, not eating after 7 helped. Especially because I'm not able to be that active after 7pm. You can get away with it depending what you are eating. But if you're able, for me, best practice is to not eat after 7pm while trying to lose weight.
  • seers
    seers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It works for me only because that was the time of day I was the weakest. I would sit in front of the tv and eat chips or popcorn and not because i was hungry but because it was a habit. I try to no longer snack at that time of day. I will have a hot water, green tea and for a treat a diet pop. I make sure I eat my calories earlier in the day when I need the most energy.

I personally find if I start to snack I lose control. Changed my habits to remove bad habits.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat the bulk of my calories after 8 and I had no trouble loosing.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nope. We eat around 8-9pm in my house (after the gym for me, and after work for my hubby). He's thin, and I'm not super overweight (working on it). It's all about smart choices. We tend to cook healthy meals and if there's a snack late at night I try to make it be fruit or something low fat. If you eat after 7 and have chips and soda and ice cream that's different. Eat clean healthy foods and you'll be fine.

We also go to bed around 11, and it's just our normal routine to eat late in our house.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have a snack at like 9 or 10 to keep my blood sugar low and I've never had a problem losing weight. I think it's about what you're eating.
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    I just try to avoid eating the 1-2 hours prior to going to bed... but sometimes I can't help it and shove some protein in since I'm starving.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think its more that people tend to make worse decisions after 7. I for one don't even get home from work until after 7, so if i follow those rules, i would never get dinner! (although i guess that would be GREAT for weightloss!) (just kidding) :D