For those of you that have had success with MFP

Options
Is it really just about staying within your calorie goal?? Do that consistently and you've been able to lose weight an keep it off?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's that simple my friend!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yep, pretty much. 95% of it is just about being aware of calories in, calories out, and sticking to it. Of course your goals and logging have to be accurate as well.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    If you are accurate in your logging, yes barring any medical problems which would give you an unusually low metabolism (and VERY few people actually have this). Even then, you can lose weight, it's just more difficult because your calorie goal is lower.

There are other reasons you wouldn't want to just follow the calorie goal and worry about what you eat, such as overall health, retention of lean mass, performance, and adhering to the diet.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    For me, yes.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have to say, yes! Sticking with the suggested calories MFP gives you, or altering it slightly as you figure out your exact maintenance level, will really help you keep the weight off! It helped me lose it and its helping me keep the weight I am at.
    Some people say they stop logging/ measuring once they hit their goal, but I can't do that. I need to keep my foods and measurements in check (because that was how i gained in the first place!) MFP really is a life saver, I think.
    From my personal experience, logging works. logging always works! :smiley:
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Having a calorie deficit works for me. I do know that the weeks where I exercise more (even when I eat more) I tend to lose a little more (about 1/2 a pound).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yup...

weight control (whether you want to lose/maintain/gain) is all about energy balance...calories are just a unit of energy. You consume less energy than your body requires then it has to dip into stored energy (i.e. fat) to make up the difference. If you consume a balance of energy you maintain. If you consume more energy than your body needs to maintain the status quot then your body will store that energy for later (i.e. fat)

This also requires consistency and accuracy...a lot of people lack both of those things and constantly wonder why "it doesn't work"...it works if you do it right.
  • Jlee197853
    Jlee197853 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely works. You have to be brutally honest and log everything! And log it accurately!. I have been doing this for about 10 weeks and have lost 33 lbs.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works. But as everyone says, you have to be accurate and honest. A food scale is a big help. I discovered in my first few weeks that I was missing about 200 calories a day, between overestimating exercise calories and underestimating food intake. Now I've got it down pretty well.

34527787.png
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep. Its not always easy but it is simple.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    80 lbs down using the site and calorie counting :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    yes...and add in a little bit of patience. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yup...about to enter my 2nd round of maitenance..and no it's not because I lost and gained again...it's because I hit my gw and decided to lose a bit more after summer was done.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Yup, pretty much
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yup. 50 pounds down. As long as I maintain a deficit I lose. Exercise has helped my endurance and strength, and lets me eat a bit more. But all that is neccessary is eating less than I burn
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes