Knee Clicking when Squatting

Options
My right knee clicks when I squat; there's no pain, just a very small amount of pressure. It just makes me cringe :D I was wondering if anyone knew what this was?

It seems a bit trivial to go to the doctor about if it is something perfectly normal. At the moment I just play loud music when I workout so that I can't hear it. I presumed it would go away over time but it has been nearly 4 months since I first noticed it when I started doing regular exercise and it hasn't improved. I exercise for about half an hour a day doing mostly cardio such as T25 or Jillian Michaels workouts. In the past month I've started dabbling in beginner weight training routines.

Does anyone know if this is normal or should I take a trip to the healthcare adviser at my doctor?

Thanks!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If there is no pain it should be fine but if you are worried go see your doctor. My shoulders click all the time (I have really bad shoulder mobility) b.ut other than the mobility issues there isn't anything wrong with them
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My right knee cracked all the time for years without pain. Recently, I've had some pain in the same knee. Turns out I have arthritis.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Has been happening to me for years. Figured it was just part of getting older. Interested in hearing how others respond to you.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Mine does that too
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Isn't it like cracking your knuckles?

This ...

Escaping gases: Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.

My knees have done this for as long as I can remember. You don't need a doctor.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 years old. Everything clicks when I lift. If there's no pain, it ain't an issue.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    My left knee pops when I walk up the stairs. My GP initially wasn't concerned, but when she felt my kneecap and the surrounding area she ordered PT. She said something was loose (I don't remember what it was off hand). Just have your doctor check it out to see if there is any cause for concern.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the correct form for squats--knees pointed in the same direction as your foot, as example. Have a trainer make sure you're squatting with the correct form. You may still have clicks, but if you DON'T have the right form, that's when strain/stress could really do some damage.
  • hrtunstall
    hrtunstall Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My knees have always cracked when I squat down (even when I was little). I have never had a problem, but yeah, it is a little annoying.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    knee noise can be many things. that escaping gas thing likely isn't it. (pretty much all of my joints go out of range, make noise, or both. both of my knees have different problems and make noises for different reasons. unfortunately, i have tons of experience here.)

the general statement of noise without pain doesn't need attention is true.... BUT knees are pretty important. since you can isolate it to a particular movement, that is a sign too. i would recommend finding a good sports medicine dr/chiro/pt to check them out for a diagnosis. and they can teach you how to tape or tell you the right brace to wear (if needed). since you are already mobile, be sure to stress you are looking for a diagnosis and not long term treatment (some are just on that default track).
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I hate those annoying pops, although I know they are harmless.
    Staying hydrated and getting more fat in your diet (especially Omega 3) helps. Also make sure you're good on all of your vitamins and minerals in your supplements. I also eat a lot of chicken skin and cartilage as great sources of gelatin and collagen. I always loved crispy skin anyway, and once you get used to eating the crunchy cartilage on the end of chicken leg and thigh bones, it's really quite good.

My knees and shoulder don't crack anywhere as bad now as they used to. I still get an occasional one now and then, but used to have them crack pretty regularly when working out.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    Isn't it like cracking your knuckles?

This ...

Escaping gases: Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.

My knees have done this for as long as I can remember. You don't need a doctor.

If there's no pain, this is very likely what it is. I have the same thing in both knees when I squat.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My friend got issues with the socket on her shoulder. It also clicks when she does some flapping wings. She was advised for a Physical Therapy. It says that she needs to build muscle to that are on here shoulder to keep the socket stable. Some factors of clicking can be arthritis,strength imbalance, or a torn ligament. Better see a doctor if it bothers you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd find out and make sure it's just crepitus.

I'd be concerned if it was something else.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I'm 56 years old. Everything clicks when I lift. If there's no pain, it ain't an issue.

Me too. but at 42.
  • CatalinaJoye
    CatalinaJoye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, i dont know if its harmful or not but if the sound really bugs you do lunges instead, it works the same muscles but for me minus the clicking
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have this. Eventually it did start to hurt. I fixed it by doing 3 or 4 sets of bodyweight squats as a warm up before getting in the rack.
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and putting my mind at rest everyone!