mayo alternatives

Options
Hi,

Does anyone know a really low calorie mayo ?
I had no choice today but to use a mayo which was 124 cals for 20g I was shocked to find it was so high so only used 10g 64cals.

I googled and found Nayonaise but unsure if it is sold in Australia.

Thanks. :D

Replies

• crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Making your own usually reduces sugar, so you can cut a couple calories there... But since it's based on eggs and oil, calories probably won't go down that much. I've seen people use greek or regular yogurt as a replacement.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Ive been using greek yogurt instead of mayo and sour cream for pretty much everything. And I don't miss the mayo at all lol.
  • Kellryn
    Kellryn Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been using a light garlic and herb cheese wedge from the laughing cow on sandwiches instead of mayo, it's very good and only 35 calories for the entire wedge. It spreads very well and tastes great on various meat sandwiches.
  • Tilandra
    Options
    Your substitute is going to depend on what you're using it in. If you're looking for something to hold a sandwich together, or moisten it, yogurt will work if you're looking to reduce fat. If you're looking to replace the fat calories with something more healthy and not necessarily reduce calories from fat, then mashed avocado is a healthier fat than eggs and oil, especially if using a store-bought mayo instead of one you make yourself.

If you're looking to replace mayo in baked recipes or dips or spreads, then yogurt may also work. Just watch low-fat dairy, as the thickening agents they use to create the faux texture are not very good for you. Carageenan has been linked to several icky side effects in some studies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Low fat creme fraiche, although the taste is a little different.
  • tessaleonie
    tessaleonie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like my light mayo. 40 cals for 15 ml. Seems like an ok deal.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    AVOCADO.