Zipped it! A Halloween costume success story with pics

Options

Last year for Halloween I wanted to wear a dress. I'd worn it before, in high school, and again shortly after I got married, so I didn't really think about silly technicalities like, hey, you've had two children, perhaps this dress no longer fits?

A few days before my work Halloween party, my darling husband suggested I try the dress on. Sure why not? I slipped it over my head, tugged and strained it over my hips, and then asked to be zipped up.

"Um," my husband said, obviously trying to think of the right thing to say. "I don't think so."

"What?" So. Much. Denial.

"I don't want to rip your dress."

My mother suggested rigging up some kind of corset type thing for the back instead of zipping it, but that ended with me dramatically pulling it off (well, it would have been dramatic if I hadn't gotten stuck and needed some more help), having a bit of a cry, and then figuring out another costume. I settled for a scarecrow - hardly any visible skin:

15468167777_72f916b0d6_z.jpgHalloween 2013 by duckies_in_a_row, on Flickr

I'm smiling, but I wasn't thrilled. I weighed 213 pounds, couldn't wear my dress, had stress fractures in my feet from my second pregnancy that weren't healing because of my size, and I was no longer treating my family members well just because I hated what I was doing to myself.

Enter a doctor who flat out told me to lose 50 pounds and a horribly embarrassing incident involving being weighed in front of a bunch of strangers for a horseback riding thing (the ONLY one weighed, and then charged an extra $10, and then given a Belgian to ride to accommodate my bulk). Enough!

I joined MFP, started running, started yoga, behaved myself. As Halloween approached again, I wondered about the dress. A few days ago, I tried it on again. And . . . it zipped! Easily.

I now weigh 158 - not to my goal yet, but lower than I've been in years. I no longer walk in pain. My body and I are becoming friends again, and I'm much less hostile toward the people I love. The dress is not the end, but I'm very happy with how I've changed. Much better with more improvement to come. Happy Halloween!

15468167717_0c46c49e52_z.jpgHalloween 2014 by duckies_in_a_row, on Flickr

Replies

• hollwoods
    hollwoods Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Sorry about your embarrassing incident, that was one of my biggest fears when I was at my heaviest. You look stunning!
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Way cool and an entertaining read! Congratulations!!!
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lol - you are hilarious!! That's so awesome about the dress! You look fabulous.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great job! The dress is great.
  • ajalcazar84
    ajalcazar84 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. You look fabulous. I tried to dress in drag as a dare for one Halloween a few years back and I didn't fit in that dress so I can sort of understand where you are coming from. Being that it was my only time to ever try on a dress, it didn't really phase me but Ive had my own incidents. Keep up the great work.
  • april32many
    Options
    Great job! You look fabulous and all your hard work has paid off. That must feel incredible. I have an entire closet full of clothes that won't zip until I lose 30 lbs:( So, I'm taking baby steps. Congratulations on being many steps closer to feeling like the optimal YOU!!!!
  • Rosie5151
    Rosie5151 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look wonderful! Congrat to you!
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    Well done! Loving that outfit ;)
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    oh this is a fun one. I never post on these. Good job!
  • GSXRGIRL61
    GSXRGIRL61 Posts: 6,254 Member
    Options
    Wonderful narrative! I really enjoyed it, but more importantly, I enjoy seeing your success! You look amazing!
  • shipsmommy
    shipsmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job and you look lovely in your beautiful dress.
  • srsly
    srsly Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    YAY for getting into the dress. Love the costume! Red is definitely a good color for you.
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look beautiful!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I almost spewed my coffee when I got to the part about the Belgian--good for you for keeping a sense of humor. Amazing how skewed our perceptions can be, huh? You look great in that dress--congrats!
  • loosinit42806
    loosinit42806 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    you look great! :)
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well Done. You look great in that dress.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Great job!
  • krontar1
    krontar1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! I'm so happy for you that your hard work and dedication paid off, and you look super happy about it too! :D
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I can see why fitting into that dress was such a big motivator - it is even more stunning with you in it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!