Diet help?

Options
Does anyone have a simple yet long term diet to lose weight? Can you give me some examples of what you eat. I don't have tons of money to buy organic stuff or the super healthy stuff. Just need a simple outlet of healthy foods to eat.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Create a calorie deficit - no magic foods needed. Log everything you put in your mouth, use a food scale, get some movement in your day.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat now, just smaller amounts. Doesn't get much more simple than that.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    There are no magic foods that will get you to lose weight. Long term success at weight loss comes from a moderate calorie deficit, exercise, time, and consistency. Really use MFP. Log what you eat...all of it. Be honest with yourself. Your body won't lie.

Set an appropriate calorie goal. Set up weight-loss friendly macros. Get in enough fruits and veggies to get the micronutrients that your body needs. Get enough fiber. If you still have room left in your calories and macros, have some treat foods, but fit them into your daily goals.

If you have questions, just let me know. This has worked great for me and the people that I coach.

Allan
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want in moderation
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eat what you eat now, just less of it. And if possible prepare in ways that use less oil, grease. Like do baked or grilled instead of fried. Make substitutions. Use mustard or light mayo instead of regular mayo. Smaller portions of calorie heavy items, bigger portions of veggies.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat now, just smaller amounts. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

^This!
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    long term isnt a diet, it's a lifestyle, rephrase that mentally!!!
    Weight loss is math, calories in vs calories out....
    To get started visit this link.... It will tell you how much you should take in based on your goal
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I like cake
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    long term isnt a diet, it's a lifestyle, rephrase that mentally!!!
    Weight loss is math, calories in vs calories out....
    To get started visit this link.... It will tell you how much you should take in based on your goal
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

^^^^ EXACTLY! you need to think of it as changing your lifestyle for the long run. no matter what diet or macros you choose, the bare basics are CICO. No magic in weight loss.
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Create a calorie deficit - no magic foods needed. Log everything you put in your mouth, use a food scale, get some movement in your day.

What she said.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You don't need a lot of money to buy low calorie food. People on here will tell you just eat less and have a calorie deficit. But it is hard to feel satisfied and not hungry all the time if you are eating candy bars and burgers for all your foods. I think if you are not eating relatively healthy for most of your food it is hard to sustain a low calorie diet for very long.

However, low calorie food does not have to be expensive. Eggs and frozen vegetables do not cost that much. You don't have to eat organic to lose weight or feel full. A gigantic rotisserie chicken at Costco only costs $5. Peel off the skin and you're good to go for a few meals. Fresh vegetables at ethic markets are usually pretty cheap and meat and especially seafood can be less than half the price of your local big supermarket chain. Some soup will go a long way to help you feel satisfied with less food. Oatmeal is pretty cheap. Focus on foods with lots of protein and/or volume for the calories it has. Also, since you will be eating less and not eating out as much, you should end up saving money even if you are buying things that cost a bit more because you will be buying less.