Unemployed & Too Much Free Time: Advice on the "Perfect" Gym Routine?

Options
Hi there. I am currently unemployed, and have decided to use my free time to lose 40 pounds!!! I've always struggled with my weight, so I'm pretty familiar with my options for eating right & exercising. But since I theoretically could spend 6 hours a day working out right now (don't worry, I won't!) I'm wondering how to best use my time.

I love group classes (Zumba, Bodypump to get in some weight training, yoga, etc.) or elliptical/bike/treadmill.

I'm thinking of aiming for 2 hours a day at the gym (6 days a week), maybe Bodypump 3x a week, Zumba 3x a week, and other cardio classes/machines for another 6 hours.

Does this sound like the right mix of weights + cardio? Should I be putting in more time than 2 hours a day?

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Do what your body will allow. Be consistent but don't kill yourself right off the bat. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you have a lot of free time, I would not overanalyze. Just do something that you like and do it often.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Running is most efficient way probably. If you arent that keen on running, you may think again if you join a running club....
  • greynotesfall
    greynotesfall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'd be worried that you might get burnt out going 2 hours a day, 6 days a week right away. Of course I have no idea how often you went beforehand, but keep that in mind! Otherwise I think you're idea sounds great. As long as you are doing things you enjoy, you're much more likely to stick with it. Also, the mix of what you have sounds fine. Cardio is good for fast results, strength training for longterm. Have fun with it! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Do the 300 workout, a few times. Then go to a daily Crossfit sesh.

Aim for 4-6 hours a day in the gym. If people ask you why you're there, just look at them and say, "Bro, do you even lift?"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Aim for 4-6 hours a day in the gym. If people ask you why you're there, just look at them and say, "Bro, do you even lift?"
    When I was a housewife. This totally ^^^^
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You seem like you're still in the "I want it now" delusion. Get a job and start a normal training regimen.

You'd just be setting yourself up for failure in more ways than one. Your amount of training will be unsustainable, your recovery will most likely be inadequate, and once you reach your goal (assuming you somehow dont run yourself into the ground) you'll need to keep up that amount of training if you wish to eat the same.

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    sounds like a great plan.
    i have done similar 2x in past 4 years,losing over 20kg each time.
    as long as you eat well and keep hydrated,you could easily reach your goal in a few months.
    enjoy.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others: don't over do it. Just because you have that much time does not mean it's healthy for your body.
    Also, you don't want to become accustomed to that much exercise and then have a hard time scaling back if/when you go back to work.
    Effective workouts aren't really about time - it's about correct form and rate of exertion. If you like group classes, then by all means take them. But not more than one per day. You HAVE to let your body rest and recover. Add in weight training as well.
  • Kelli850
    Kelli850 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do what your body will allow. Be consistent but don't kill yourself right off the bat. This is a marathon, not a sprint. If you have a lot of free time, I would not overanalyze. Just do something that you like and do it often.

I agree with this advice. I retired in July and decided to focus on my health as my "new job". I am very fortunate that the gym is less than a mile from my house. I started slowly the first month. Second month I started going 6 days a week and now I go twice a day. I do Body Pump 3x a week, Body Flow 4x a week, RPM (spin class) 2x week and Zumba once a week (only time it is offered at the gym). I do not do back to back classes. I do one class in the morning and one in the evening. I alternate days between strength and cardio and I also listed to my body. I hit it hard in the pump class last night so I took this morning off to recover so I will be up to par during spin class tonight. I've met lots of new friends at the gym and we are getting our husbands to attend a few classes with us now. I'm seeing big changes in my body shape, my confidence is up, and I have lots of energy. It works for me. Exercise should be something you enjoy doing!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of cardio. Careful to listen to your body. Too much too soon can really take a toll on your immune system.
  • dbmata
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Just sucks when Mai Lin's nails opens at 10a, but you have to have the other work outs after the nails are done. I'd always chip the damn gel coat.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    As a stay at home wife with 40 more pounds to lose, and a LOT of free time, I would get burned out REALLY quickly doing 18 hours a week! It'd be wonderful if you don't, but you have to have a plan.

And my secret is: variety. Have a plan for what you'll do when you really just can't bring yourself to go to the gym. Have a light routine that you can pick up if you're exhausted or stressed. If you previously had an active job, try to stay more active during the day. Work on finding a routine that will still work when you get a job, so you don't end up quitting the gym entirely because your normal routine is too much and you don't have the time/willpower to modify it.

Your eating will be the thing that determines your overall success, so work on foods/snacks/portions that will fit you now and that will also be portable so you can pack it for lunch in the future. If you go from 18 hours a week of working out, and eating almost 1k exercise calories a day, when you stop doing that routine, you may find yourself struggling to stay within your new lower-calorie budget.

Good luck with your weight loss!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I have a flexible schedule and for statistical purposes, I'm unemployed. I could do 2 hrs a day, 6 days a week. But why when I can get great results doing 1hr 5 days a week while doing other things I like and have to do? If you don't mind and your body doesn't mind go for it. Calorie deficit is where the bulk of the weight is lost.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Just sucks when Mai Lin's nails opens at 10a, but you have to have the other work outs after the nails are done. I'd always chip the damn gel coat.
    Yesssss omg! That's why I always got my latter BEFORE the nail salon, what a pain. I feel like your my soul sister right now.
  • dbmata
    Options

Yesssss omg! That's why I always got my latter BEFORE the nail salon, what a pain. I feel like your my soul sister right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQa7SvVCdZk
  • OsloSophia
    OsloSophia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input, especially Kelli850 and onefortyone, plus dbmata for the humor. :smile: I'm going to start with 1 group class daily, then see if I feel like adding on a second after a few weeks!