Diet Soda....what are your thoughts?

missvics
missvics Posts: 112
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Ok...don't chastise me to much. I know that the chemicals are terrible for you. I don't know the specifics because I generally choose to turn a blind eye to it. But I'm a vegetarian, I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't drink coffee but maybe one a week...so soda in my VICE!!!! I drink Coke Zero. One to two a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I've been told before that it's not good for you, but is it worse than regular soda? I've tried to live by the idea of not drinking my calories. I just would like everyone's thoughts, opinions and facts on this subject. Who knows, maybe it'll help me truly make a change!!!

Replies

• mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    I drink diet soda maybe 3-5 times a week. I like that it curbs my craving for sweets...and i believe that everything is good in moderation. Im not a "NEVER WILL I EAT THAT" person, and happier for it :)
  • missvics
    Thanks for your thoughts. I'm preparing myself for the barrage of posts I'll get about how I'm poisoning myself. I notice when I'm stressed I drink more. (as I have one sitting next to me right now!!)
  • I think its better to have a regualr soda every now and again then have the diet ones.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    I don't drink diet soda... but I just don't even really LIKE the taste of artificial sweeteners. I usually go for a little flavored carbonated water, or a sip of regular soda, if that. In the past it seemed like any kind of soda slowed down my weight loss a little.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I drink diet soda maybe 3-5 times a week. I like that it curbs my craving for sweets...and i believe that everything is good in moderation. Im not a "NEVER WILL I EAT THAT" person, and happier for it :)

AGREED! :)

I am a caffeine addict, so I never can get enough diet pop or chai teas :)
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    I drink 1-2 a day - in moderation. I was drinking 5-6 cans a day in the fall and it got so bad my eye was twitching!! Not a good thing. However, drinking 1-2 a day isn't hurting me and it feels like a treat.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    I HAVE GIVEN UP ENOUGH, I DRINK 1, MAYBE2, DIET COKES A DAY, IF I DIE, I DIE!!!! RED :drinker:
  • missvics
    I don't drink diet soda... but I just don't even really LIKE the taste of artificial sweeteners. I usually go for a little flavored carbonated water, or a sip of regular soda, if that. In the past it seemed like any kind of soda slowed down my weight loss a little.
    I wish I could say the same about the sweeteners. I don't like regular soda now. But I could learn too!!! I think my biggest problem is it's like an addiction for me!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    I drink diet drinks too. Usually no more than one per day, but I often go days without. I am with the other poster in that I don't really deny myself anything, but I do try to make sure that I eat and drink a lot more stuff that is good for me than not.

--Carter
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    I like Diet Sunkist and I have one or two a day. I'm fine with it. It helps me avoid eating other things that are high in calories.:smile:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Oh yes, you will get the, "your poisoning yourself" replies. I wonder what they think about my energy drinks? haha
  • bfnp
    bfnp Posts: 58
    I drink diet and don't really worry about the chemicals. I try to keep myself at two cans a day now just keep my caffeine intake in check. Unless I'm mixing it with rum. Then it's sort of anything goes.
  • Here are my two cents: I avoid pop period. Why? Cause it will ruin your teeth! My dentist told me sooo many times...cut the pop and juice. Water, Tea and Milk. Easier said then done, I know.
  • missvics
    I HAVE GIVEN UP ENOUGH, I DRINK 1, MAYBE2, DIET COKES A DAY, IF I DIE, I DIE!!!! RED :drinker:

FOR SURE!!!!! Thanks!!!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    and i believe that everything is good in moderation.

I agree with this. You aren't drinking a 12 pack in one day. If you start to drink 5-6 on a regular basis then I would start to get worried, but I would say that for regular soda as well.

You're very healthy from what it seems, so I say keep doing what you are doing. If you find that the sodium content is starting to increase your water retention, I would look into an alternative then as well.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    I go back and forth. I would suggest that maybe you drink fewer coke zeros- 2 each day isn't really moderation in some people's opinions.

If you are looking for a reason to quit, consider the money. Start saving the cash you would spend on that for something you want more. Caffeine is bad for me, even though I consume it occassionally. So I try to drink it in only in moderation, but I used to have a bad McDonald's diet coke habit (yes, their DC is different) but I got sick of the money I was spending.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    splurging on a diet mt dew with my lunch.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    try this instead; grab a lemon, and a bottle of mineral water. in your class squeeze about half of the lemon in to the mineral water. Its bubbly like soda, and the lemon makes it go down easier as you get used to drinking something different. I do not like Perrier, the bubbles are too big. I like San Pelegrino (SP) the bubbles are smaller, more similar to soda.

Plus your drinking minerals and H2O !

I was a soda freak, I just like the carbonation mostly. ^this is what I drink now.
  • shouts12
    shouts12 Posts: 87
    I LOVE diet Dr. Pepper. But after the barrage of information, I've gone cold turkey. It used to curb my cravings dramatically, so I miss that, but I don't miss it otherwise. I used to get caffeine headaches when I didn't drink it for a day! I feel much better now without it. But I still might have one occasionally when going out for dinner...
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    All I am gonna say...and not being mean I promise.. There is options now to drink healthier soda.. If that makes any sense..haha!

Only think I suggest is stay away from the diet and the regular and go with the Naturals and the Throw backs.. So you are getting natural normal everyday sugar instead of artificial sweeteners and corn syrup.

Hope that didnt sound mean...hard to express by text. haha!
This discussion has been closed.