Already having trouble...

Options
I just recently started my journey and i'm already having trouble.
I'm been eating very healthy, counting everything and exercising for several days. The first two days I dropped a few pounds( i was so excited) but when I weighed yesterday, I had gained them all back and I haven't done anything different. I drink LOTS of water all day... can this affect it? Is this normal? HELP! I'm getting so discouraged :(

Replies

• ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week. Just keep doing what you are doing. Weight fluctuates. It's normal. :-)
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I agree - set a schedule for yourself for weigh-ins, or if you continue to weigh-in often, make sure you start understanding your normal patterns. I weigh myself probably 5 times a day (I just can't help it!), but I only really put merrit on my Friday morning weigh-in.

On top of that, the water could be the issue - NOT the "problem", the "issue". Keep it up with the water and you'll start flushing it soon. When you first start upping the water intake, you could retain it for a bit (espacially if you're eating too much sodium), but it will even out and help you in the end. When in doubt, DRINK MORE WATER! ;)

Good luck - we're here for ya!
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Agee with above statements. Your weight fluxuates daily, so only weigh yourself once a week and be consistent with the time of day to get an accurate reading. Don't get discouraged, just take it one day at a time and keep up the hard (and yes, I know it's hard) work!
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day. You will drive yourself nuts!
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That's so good to hear about the water...I will not stop drinking...hopefully it will pay off in the end!
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling but try not to stress this. The first few days is water wt, also if you are tracking food check your sodium intake as that can lead to water wt gain. My wt loss and gain fluctuates every week depending where I am hormonally. For instance this week because of TOM I've actually gained 1.5lbs and last week I barely lost half a lbs. But next week I might lose 3lbs! So I try to look at my wt loss over a 4 week cycle, and average it. I still weigh myself twice a week becasue it helps me stay on track and motivated but I think people sho can just weigh once a week or even just once a month are amazing. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • MoNiKa2113
    Options
    you might be losing fat weight and putting on muscle.
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    Don't worry you're not alone! I usually weigh myself quite a few times a week but only record on Monday. That's my day to look at my progress, the rest of the time its just because I can't resist peeking! It's amazing how much my body fluctuates!

**Try to reach other goals other than just losing pounds. Set small fitness goals like upping your speed or mileage or how much time you spend exercising. Make sure you are measuring yourself also, see how much your body changes in that way, but not more than once a week. I've been doing this for months and its great to see the inches coming off!

Feel free to add me as a friend, I find it helpful to see what other people are up to and get ideas for food and exercise!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you are working out, your muscles are retaining water. Every time I go on a bike ride over 25 miles, I retain about SIX pounds of water and they stick around for 4-5 days. Talk about frustrating. I KNOW whats going on, and it STILL pisses me off. LOL But the day I finally release all that retained water, I can hop on the scale and see those 6 pounds gone....along with the 1-2# of lard I lost that week. Nothing quite like getting on the scale and being 8# lighter than you were the day before, LOL. ALmost makes up for the aggravation of seeing the water weight all week long :D

Just keep eating right and exercising. You can't possibly gain REAL weight if you are in a caloric deficit and working out. It's just not possible.

Good luck!
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you are working out, your muscles are retaining water. Every time I go on a bike ride over 25 miles, I retain about SIX pounds of water and they stick around for 4-5 days. Talk about frustrating. I KNOW whats going on, and it STILL pisses me off. LOL But the day I finally release all that retained water, I can hop on the scale and see those 6 pounds gone....along with the 1-2# of lard I lost that week. Nothing quite like getting on the scale and being 8# lighter than you were the day before, LOL. ALmost makes up for the aggravation of seeing the water weight all week long :D

Just keep eating right and exercising. You can't possibly gain REAL weight if you are in a caloric deficit and working out. It's just not possible.

Good luck!
    Thank you so much ! I WILL keep at it!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh every morning in the buff, before I eat, and after using the restroom. I only record it once a week or so.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    you might be losing fat weight and putting on muscle.
    Not likely in the first bit. This generally only happens toward the end when you have little fat left to lose and you are in a stage of toning... although this is one of the most common "reasons" we give ourselves.

Agree with the no weigh in daily, it is too stressful and then you over-correct when you go up which could be the result of a number of things including:
    Sodium
    Bathroom visits
    How long before you ate your last meal
    etc.

Weigh in once a week at a normal time and don't get discouraged - this is not about dropping fast and furious through drastic measures, it is about lifestyle changes - steady is better.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I know this seems silly, but don't over focus on the weight. Remember this is about health and happiness. I would also suggest not weighing in more than 1x a week. Hang in there, if you are honest with yourself and your entries, you will see success.